Very annoying high pitch whine after driveshaft installation, HELP pls.

jojobee

Established Member
Think of it this from a harmonics standpoint none of the driveshaft companies except dss test there products with the aftermarket parts we are going to install on our cars, therefore they cant know how their products noise will react to other manufacturers parts. In other words its a crap shoot! We know these cars make noise that needs to be silenced by rubber, and weights, otherwise these cars would come with poly bushings! I think the harmonics of the driveshaft are being amplified by the parts you added. I have no doubt that if you removed the relos that noise would subside or reduce. My point is, the noise is always there and some parts amplify it more then others! I had a whiteline uca that failed i replaced it with a steeda uca mount and i used the same pinion settings and the noise and vibration are louder now!

So you think that the DSS design could help reduce the unwanted noise ?
If thats my issue i'll have a driveshaft for sale very soon!

As far as the relocation brackets adding noise, that would surprise me since thye're an extension of the frame..

I already had my BMR lca's and uca in place and i didnt feel it was much louder.

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
Yes and since pinion angle is not an issue due to its rear cv joint it can be used with a non adjustable uca such as the roush mount which is whisper quiet!

jojobee

Established Member
I get mine next wednesday should have it in by next saturday i will send you a full report!

Thanks ill be waiting for that report.
Before the driveshaft i was happy with my BMR stuff but if the Roush one is better ill get it.
No way i will tolerate that turbine noise :)

5lho

Established Member
If you're going to run it on stands make sure your insurance is paid up and shut the advancetrak off, completely, as it will see that as the world's longest burnout it can't stop. It'll go apeshit.

jojobee

Established Member
If you're going to run it on stands make sure your insurance is paid up and shut the advancetrak off, completely, as it will see that as the world's longest burnout it can't stop. It'll go apeshit.

Yeah at first with advancetrack on it wasnt working so well :)
Then i shut if off completely to try reproduce the noise but didnt rev the motor more than 3-4k since the noise wasnt there anyway.
All warning lights came on on the dash not long after that but disappeared as soon as the car started moving for real.

hand-filer

Established Member
I did check and nothing rubs, the more i think about it the more i think its the gear noise being over amplified now.

Probably. I had the same issue when I installed a DSS aluminum shaft and it drove me nuts.....for 4 days. I took it off and sent it back. Car is quiet again.
It's the luck of the draw with these cars, some respond well to a driveshaft swap and are quiet, others not.
The DSS customer service is top notch.

jojobee

Established Member
Probably. I had the same issue when I installed a DSS aluminum shaft and it drove me nuts.....for 4 days. I took it off and sent it back. Car is quiet again.
It's the luck of the draw with these cars, some respond well to a driveshaft swap and are quiet, others not.

Ohhh, thats even worse then since i was hoping that a dss driveshaft with a cv joint could reduce the noise.
Thats f@/.)!! annoying this issue.

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member

Did you have any vibrations?

WHITELINE

Established Member
Think of it this from a harmonics standpoint none of the driveshaft companies except dss test there products with the aftermarket parts we are going to install on our cars, therefore they cant know how their products noise will react to other manufacturers parts. In other words its a crap shoot! We know these cars make noise that needs to be silenced by rubber, and weights, otherwise these cars would come with poly bushings! I think the harmonics of the driveshaft are being amplified by the parts you added. I have no doubt that if you removed the relos that noise would subside or reduce. My point is, the noise is always there and some parts amplify it more then others! I had a whiteline uca that failed i replaced it with a steeda uca mount and i used the same pinion settings and the noise and vibration are louder now!

We're sorry to see you return the WL UCA for another but totally understand your reasoning for it. Our revised UCA has been chosen and we've started production to replace units for those customers that chose to wait for the revision.

We've found several critical points in the Mustang that generate a lot of NVH, the control arms on the 3 link system or rather its bushings are the most critical items that transfer NVH. Although most NVH increases very annoying, everyone has a different tolerance level. I'd be curious to see if various other driveshafts all contribute to the increased noise or was it just that particular unit.

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
We're sorry to see you return the WL UCA for another but totally understand your reasoning for it. Our revised UCA has been chosen and we've started production to replace units for those customers that chose to wait for the revision.

We've found several critical points in the Mustang that generate a lot of NVH, the control arms on the 3 link system or rather its bushings are the most critical items that transfer NVH. Although most NVH increases very annoying, everyone has a different tolerance level. I'd be curious to see if various other driveshafts all contribute to the increased noise or was it just that particular unit.

The key to this drive shaft is its rear cv joint which cures the need to set pinion angles. Therefore if the steeda Uca still makes noise after my drive shaft install i can switch to a Roush non adjustable with the firmer rubber bushing it makes no noise at all! Right now I'm more concerned with vibration then noise! And I'm convinced this driveshaft is a better match for my set up then my current driveshaft!

Does your revised unit have the crush sleeve set up for adjustments as the previous model or do you now have an adjustable main shaft with multiple mounting holes on your bracket?

WHITELINE

Established Member
The key to this drive shaft is its rear cv joint which cures the need to set pinion angles. Therefore if the steeda Uca still makes noise after my drive shaft install i can switch to a Roush non adjustable with the firmer rubber bushing it makes no noise at all! Right now I'm more concerned with vibration then noise! And I'm convinced this driveshaft is a better match for my set up then my current driveshaft!

Does your revised unit have the crush sleeve set up for adjustments as the previous model or do you now have an adjustable main shaft with multiple mounting holes on your bracket?

We will still maintain the eccentric crush tube to adjust pinion angle. We're more then aware the eccentric crush tube has its limits in getting more extreme angles via UCA. If you require such, you should consider adjusting via LCA's. The majority of Mustang owners will find our adjustments are suitable for their needs and will benefit from our lengthened arm which minimizes the pinion angles deflection from the arms travel along the arc during dynamic loads. You'll find on later model Mustangs Ford also changed the mount and UCA arm length (longer) in their design along with oversized bushing.

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
We will still maintain the eccentric crush tube to adjust pinion angle. We're more then aware the eccentric crush tube has its limits in getting more extreme angles via UCA. If you require such, you should consider adjusting via LCA's. The majority of Mustang owners will find our adjustments are suitable for their needs and will benefit from our lengthened arm which minimizes the pinion angles deflection from the arms travel along the arc during dynamic loads. You'll find on later model Mustangs Ford also changed the mount and UCA arm length (longer) in their design along with oversized bushing.

I really liked your mount and its bushing size it did a great job minumizing nvh. I still have your lca's, relo brackets, front and rear sways, and your watts link, my car really handles like its on rails...your bushings are the best. When you get a chance can you pm me a pic of the new revised mount i'd like to see it, thanks.

jojobee

Established Member
Since i'm really starting to hate nvh i am thinking of replacing my BMR adj uca with either the new Whiteline once its released or get the non adj Roush. From what i read these would be better in reducing nvh than the other brands with poly bushings.

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
Since i'm really starting to hate nvh i am thinking of replacing my BMR adj uca with either the new Whiteline once its released or get the non adj Roush. From what i read these would be better in reducing nvh than the other brands with poly bushings.

yeah that's the ticket...

jojobee

Established Member
After looking in the driveshaft direction for a while it turned out that the whine was from my trans.

I have gotten my car back today and the dreaded whine is gone.

Total cost to Ford 3500$ & 25h total for install & toubleshooting.

They changed 1st gear, input shaft, 5th gear pinion and a bunch of bearing.

Hopefully this one will last cause i really like it quiet like that ;

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
Thats good man im surprised they fixed it since you have a supercharger! I got my dss driveshaft in and I sold my old shaft masters d/s. the dss is much better then the shaftmasters was on my car. Now i just want to change the steeda uca out for the whisper quiet roush uca and i will be set!

jojobee

Established Member
Good information, thank you for this. I am curious, Ford may have used another one of their special "additives" to quite down the transmission the same way they would quiet the tick in the engine. I really want to know what was so different about the OEM fill of the transmission that made it so quiet.

It's no secret that the Getrag is a noisy design, which is why Ford originally used 75W-90 manual transmission oil on the first run of 2011 GT's. This fluid was too viscous, causing a lot of grinding issues. Ford swapped the fluid for the extremely light DCT fluid. This seemed to work well, however, a few people have noticed a whine in the gear box after swapping the fluid.

Makes you wonder, what was special added in the OEM fill?

On the flip side, it's it's added NVH from the rear differential since adding a 1 piece shaft, then I know a carbon Fiber driveshaft will solve that issue.

Now that Ford has repaired my transmission and that the whine is gone completely what should i do about the fluid ?

I still have my Dynotech driveshaft on and 3.73 gears and its dead silent.

Ford did put in the QDC fluid.

Knowing that they replaced some gears and bearings should i run it like that for a while or switch the fluid immediately ?

Is Amsoil MTF still the top choice for me...?

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread