VERY loud squeal, need help!

Real2000CobraR

Powerstroke God
Established Member
So I just bought my Cobra in December and drove it home from NC. The day I got it home I put it away for the winter. It has 62,000 miles. Over the winter i started it up and let it run for a bit. Everytime I started it i would have a soft squeak/squeal when cold and it would go away in 30 seconds or so. I just finished putting my exhaust on today and took it for a drive for the first time this year. I started it up and it had the typical sqeak. Started driving and i got into it a little bit a few times and noticed a weird smell and i figured it was the exhaust burning in cause its new. I was just about to my driveway and i romped on it pretty good and when i did i got a god awful squeal coming from under the hood. I immediately stoped in my driveway and popped the hood. It appeared to be the supercharger pulley/belt squealing and stinking. I got it in my garage and it was screaming at idle and i had to turn it off. I started it up a few minutes later and instantly it would scream and start stinking. The belt and supercharger pulley were super hot and there appears to be a little dust.

I have a brand new billet flow upper, idlers and gatorback that i was gonna put on when i got it tuned in a few weeks.

Im guessing its a bearing or belt related but could anything else cause a similar issue?

Thanks

Anabolic

Banned
check to see if there's oil leaking on it somewhere. (that's what happend to mine. front main was leaking)
If there's not the belt sounds like it has to be replaced and possibly a pully.

have you pinpointed wich belt it is? spray some silicone on eaither & see wich makes the noise go away. accessory or primary.

Last edited:

NELCO

Established Member
You need to check all pulleys that are driven by the supercharger belt. Sounds too me like a loose (worn) belt. If the belt feels tight and is not cracked, I would remove the belt and check all driven pulleys that are driven by this belt.
Good Luck,
Nelco

cobracide

Established Member
Take the SC belt off and spin all the idlers, they should turn free. Also look at your belt for wear, cracking, tightness and alignment.

Real2000CobraR

Powerstroke God
Established Member
check to see if there's oil leaking on it somewhere. (that's what happend to mine. front main was leaking)
If there's not the belt sounds like it has to be replaced and possibly a pully.

have you pinpointed wich belt it is? spray some silicone on eaither & see wich makes the noise go away. accessory or primary.

No oil on the belt. I can't even tell which belt it is. I tried spraying them with silicone spray and didnt do anything. I sounds like a nasty bearing on a pulley. The tensioner seems to have alot of movement while running. Is that normal?

Cobra03SC

Established Member
Take the supercharger belt off and crank the car to see if it squeaks. You will at least be able to tell if its your main belt or just the blower/alt belt. I had a squeaking belt problem when my tensioner bent and the belt wasn't riding on the other pulleys correctly and it was burning the belt. It the main belt doesnt make the noise really examine the blower belt. The underside grooves may be done for. It would take a very bad bearing to make a smell since it would pretty much have to be not rotating at all and the belt would be burning on it.

Real2000CobraR

Powerstroke God
Established Member
Took the belt off and the tensioner pulley is shot. I can't even turn it by hand and it must be bent pretty good because the pulley is rubbing on the metal Infront of the main belt. Time to upgrade. Any suggestions?

Cobra03SC

Established Member
They make some serious heavy duty tensioners but they are costly... depending how much you want to spend you can either just replace it with a stock one or cough up the cash. Mine did the same thing and ate into the timing cover. Mine wouldn't even crank because it was so bent into the cover.

They make them with the grooved and smooth pulley depending what you need.
Thump RRR Racing HD Billet Aluminum Belt Tensioner w/ 76mm Idler (Grooved Pulley) - Thump Racing - Idlers and Tensioners - Pulleys/Idlers - 03-04 SVT Cobra

Real2000CobraR

Powerstroke God
Established Member
They make some serious heavy duty tensioners but they are costly... depending how much you want to spend you can either just replace it with a stock one or cough up the cash. Mine did the same thing and ate into the timing cover. Mine wouldn't even crank because it was so bent into the cover.

They make them with the grooved and smooth pulley depending what you need.
Thump RRR Racing HD Billet Aluminum Belt Tensioner w/ 76mm Idler (Grooved Pulley) - Thump Racing - Idlers and Tensioners - Pulleys/Idlers - 03-04 SVT Cobra

Yeah mines bent into the cover also and sounds god awful. Thanks for the help, much appreciated. I bought a tensioner w pulley used oem one on eBay for $50 so I will throw that on for now and upgrade when I get it tuned. Thanks again!

mcallister

Established Member
If the tensioner itself is ok and the bearing in the pulley is shot you can pick up a pulley with the bearing at your local auto parts store. That's what I did, been fine ever since. It's a lot cheaper than getting a new tensioner and everything.

Last edited:

Real2000CobraR

Powerstroke God
Established Member
If the tensioner itself is ok and the bearing in the pulley is shot you can pick up a pulley with the bearing at your local auto parts store. That's what I did, been fine ever since. It's a lot cheaper than getting a new tensioner and everything.

Not %100 sure how much damage is done to the tensioner because I haven't had time to take it off but the arm is definitely bent a little bit and the pulley is toast. eBay has brand new oem ones pretty cheap $80 and used ones $50. I already bought a used one because I didn't see the new ones. I'm gonna buy a new one also and have the used one as a spare incase it happens again.

Users who are viewing this thread