Vets against Kerry (Video)

f_rice

EFF GM AND CHRYSLER!!!!
Established Member
Originally posted by RyMac
HERE YOU GO ROOKIE BI@TCH! What is YOUR response to this.

There is ALWAYS two sides to every story!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CAMPAIGN 2004

Records contradict claims by anti-Kerry veterans

Military records of John Kerry's service in Vietnam contradict many of the charges made by Swift Boat Veterans for Truth, a group questioning Kerry's war record.

BY JOSEPH S. GALLOWAY

[email protected]

WASHINGTON - Military records support John Kerry's account of his service in Vietnam and have backed at least two of his accusers into a corner.

Kerry defended himself on Thursday against accusations by a group of fellow Navy veterans of Vietnam that he was a liar and a coward. The accusations were made in a book and in an attack ad that polls show have chipped away at Kerry's standing with veterans in three critical states -- West Virginia, Wisconsin and Ohio.

The long-ago Vietnam War has suddenly become a central issue in the presidential campaign. The attacks by the group Swift Boat Veterans for Truth have called into account Kerry's conduct during the war, when he volunteered for one of the most dangerous duties -- the so-called Brown Water Navy, which regularly penetrated Viet Cong-controlled territory via the maze of waterways in the Mekong Delta.

Although the 15 veterans featured in the attack ad all state ''I served with John Kerry,'' none of them served on the same boat with him. Those who did, such as retired Chief Petty Officer Del Sandusky, 60, of Clearwater, praise Kerry for his leadership and credit him with keeping them alive.

''We are really upset at this stuff,'' Sandusky told Knight Ridder. ``They are calling us all liars. They dishonor us and they dishonor all those who died over there. They are getting awfully desperate. Last year many of them were on board with us. Now they are telling outrageous lies.''

Kerry has said that members of the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth lied when they said he inflated his role in various combat actions in the Mekong Delta and had manipulated the award of three Purple Heart medals for wounds and Bronze and Silver Star medals for valor in combat.

Kerry released a stack of his military records -- including after-action reports, citations for his medals, boat damage reports and his officer efficiency reports. These records -- and the military records of at least one of his accusers -- cast serious doubt on some of the more inflammatory assertions raised by the group.

CHANGE OF HEART?

It didn't help the cause of the Swift Boat Veterans group that some of them, including their leader, retired Rear Adm. Roy Hoffman, were on the record praising Kerry for his service in Vietnam.

Kerry's commanding officer in Vietnam, George Elliott, said in an attack ad: ``John Kerry has not been honest about what happened in Vietnam.''

But during the war, Elliott recommended Kerry for the Silver and Bronze Star medals for valor in combat and gave him the highest possible praise in his officer efficiency reports.

''In a combat environment often requiring independent, decisive action, LTJG Kerry was unsurpassed,'' Elliott wrote in 1969. He went on to rate Kerry as ``calm, professional and highly courageous in the face of enemy fire.''

In 16 categories on Kerry's officer efficiency report, Elliott gave Kerry the highest possible rating -- ''is not exceeded'' -- in 11 categories, and the second-highest, ''one of the top 10'' in five other categories.

Elliott in 1996 supported Kerry in his reelection campaign for the Senate and during an appearance in Boston declared that Kerry had earned the Silver Star ``for an act of courage.''

Another critic, Larry Thurlow, a fellow swift boat commander in the Mekong Delta in 1969, disputed Kerry's assertion that his boat and others in the five-boat patrol came under enemy fire during a March 13, 1969, mission that earned Kerry a Bronze Star.

Thurlow said that although one of the swift boats was disabled by a mine explosion, there was no enemy fire from shore, as Kerry and others testified, and that Kerry's account was ''a total fabrication.'' Thurlow said in an affidavit: ``I never heard a shot.''

However, a citation for the Bronze Star with valor awarded to Thurlow for that same mission stated that his actions ''took place under constant enemy small arms fire which [Thurlow] completely ignored'' while he provided assistance to the damaged swift boat and the wounded aboard.

DAMAGE REPORT

Thurlow's account was further called into question by a damage assessment report on another swift boat, PCF-51, involved in the March 13 action. The report listed three .30-caliber bullet holes in the superstructure of the 50-foot patrol boat.

The swift boat veterans also have cast doubt on Kerry's account that a second mine explosion damaged his boat, PCF-94, and blew an Army Special Forces officer, Jim Rassmann, overboard. Kerry's Bronze Star was awarded for his rescue of Rassmann, who credited Kerry with saving his life.

In a month when the Democratic nominee had hoped to avoid running any ads to conserve money for the final sprint this fall, Kerry strategists instead prepared to spend nearly $200,000 responding to the veterans ads in key states.

The bulk of the funding for the swift boat veterans group comes from wealthy Texas Republicans. A new ad was released Friday, this time focusing on Kerry's testimony against the Vietnam War in 1971.

here is the link Newspaper

Don't get so ****y junior.................

For Immediate Release

Statement By Swift Boat Veterans for Truth Member Larry Thurlow

I am convinced that the language used in my citation for a Bronze Star was language taken directly from John Kerry's report which falsely described the action on the Bay Hap River as action that saw small arms fire and automatic weapons fire from both banks of the river.

To this day, I can say without a doubt in my mind, along with other accounts from my shipmates -- there was no hostile enemy fire directed at my boat or at any of the five boats operating on the river that day.

I submitted no paperwork for a medal nor did I file an after action report describing the incident. To my knowledge, John Kerry was the only officer who filed a report describing his version of the incidents that occurred on the river that day.

It was not until I had left the Navy -- approximately three months after I left the service -- that I was notified that I was to receive a citation for my actions on that day.

I believed then as I believe now that I received my Bronze Star for my efforts to rescue the injured crewmen from swift boat number three and to conduct damage control to prevent that boat from sinking. My boat and several other swift boats went to the aid of our fellow swift boat sailors whose craft was adrift and taking on water. We provided immediate rescue and damage control to prevent boat three from sinking and to offer immediate protection and comfort to the injured crew.

After the mine exploded, leaving swift boat three dead in the water, John Kerry's boat, which was on the opposite side of the river, fled the scene. US Army Special Forces officer Jim Rassmann, who was on Kerry's boat at the time, fell off the boat and into the water. Kerry's boat returned several minutes later -- under no hail of enemy gunfire -- to retrieve Rassmann from the river only seconds before another boat was going to pick him up.

Kerry campaign spokespersons have conflicting accounts of this incident -- the latest one being that Kerry's boat did leave but only briefly and returned under withering enemy fire to rescue Mr. Rassmann. However, none of the other boats on the river that day reported enemy fire nor was anyone wounded by small arms action. The only damage on that day was done to boat three -- a result of the underwater mine. None of the other swift boats received damage from enemy gunfire.

And in a new development, Kerry campaign officials are now finally acknowledging that while Kerry's boat left the scene, none of the other boats on the river ever left the damaged swift boat. This is a direct contradiction to previous accounts made by Jim Rassmann in the Oregonian newspaper and a direct contradiction to the "No Man Left Behind" theme during the Democratic National Convention.

These ever changing accounts of the Bay Hap River incident by Kerry campaign officials leave me asking one question. If no one ever left the scene of the Bay Hap River incident, how could anyone be left behind?

-30-

For Immediate Release

Statement By Swift Boat Veterans for Truth Member Van Odell

A courageous, soft spoken man of the Midwest, Larry Thurlow has a heart bigger than the great plains and a commitment to truth and honesty that is boundless. He is under attack, because John Kerry is feeling the heat of truth at the hands of this honest man and others like him.

The Kerry Campaign is attacking the truthfulness of this man and the Bronze Star he so richly deserves for his actions on March 13, 1969. I was there. I saw what happened.

The mine’s detonation lifted PCF-3 completely out of the water just yards ahead of me. All boats commenced suppression fire in case enemy small arms fire ensued. None did.

All boats came to the aid of PCF-3, except one: John Kerry’s boat. Kerry fled.

Larry Thurlow piloted his boat straight toward the mine-damaged PCF-3 from which thick, black smoke billowed. He jumped aboard and personally led damage control operations that saved the boat and rescue operations that saved the lives of badly wounded men. Larry’s leadership was in the highest traditions of the naval service. His leadership allowed the other men and boats of the mission to exit the river safely. This "single act of meritorious service" -– the chief requirement of the Bronze Star -– should be honored, not ridiculed, by the Kerry campaign and its allies in the mainstream media.

To reiterate, only one enemy weapon was deployed that day -– the command-detonated submerged mine that disabled PCF-3. Larry Thurlow's citation contained references to "enemy small arms and automatic weapons fire," because that was the language chosen by John Kerry who penned the "spot report" on the action that day. There was no "enemy small arms and automatic weapons fire" received that day. John Kerry’s report was fiction -– a hoax on the entire chain of command. Larry Thurlow's heroism and meritorious service, however, is real.

To me Larry is one of the heroes of our country. He is a man who served his country when called and who returned home to be a productive citizen. Larry and men like him are the strong backbone of our society. I am proud to have served with him.

-30-

For Immediate Release

Statement By Swift Boat Veterans for Truth Member Jack Chenoweth

I am outraged by Michael Dobbs' attack on Larry Thurlow and his Bronze Star award.

The reason the citation mentions "enemy small arms and automatic weapons fire" is because it is based on the "spot report" that John Kerry submitted. Any and all awards presented for actions on 13 March 1969 would be similar, if not verbatim, regarding enemy gunfire, because the only information submitted to the chain of command was falsified by Kerry.

Mr. Dobbs also grossly mischaracterizes my statements, and probably those of Richard Pees as well, when he states that we "do not remember coming under 'enemy fire.'" He needs to go back and review his notes. I emphatically told him -– as I’ve told countless other reporters -- that there was no enemy gunfire from either bank at any time, that the only event of the day was the mine under PCF 3, followed by suppression fire from all of our boats.

Mr. Dobbs is entitled to take whatever position he wants on the issue of who is telling the truth, but it is not right for him to mischaracterize my remarks so that it looks like I didn't "remember" whether there was enemy fire. I remember vividly. There was no enemy fire.

-30-

For Immediate Release

Statement By Swift Boat Veterans for Truth Member John O'Neill

The Navy did not send Republicans or Democrats to the island of An Thoi. We are responding and dealing with something that is deeply personal -- our own record and the record of our unit in Vietnam. These are issues Senator Kerry raised and we regret that he uses ad hominem attacks instead of dealing with the actual facts. He is doing that because he can’t deal with the truth.

For example, for 35 years he said he claimed that one of the turning points of his life was spending Christmas Eve and Christmas illegally in Cambodia, libeling our commanders and our nation with accusations of war crimes. That is a totally false statement because he was no where near Cambodia on Christmas Eve and Christmas day. The Kerry campaign continues to flip flop on the Cambodia issue.

In addition, Senator Kerry closed the Democratic National Convention with a story in which he claimed that five of the boats fled on March 13 after a mine went off and he came back. His campaign is now admitting that he fled and the rest stayed.

Attacking our organization does not respond to the facts that occurred in Vietnam. Senator Kerry says that he has learned to charge into an ambush in connection with this, instead he is fleeing down the river from the facts.

-- Mr. O’Neill is co-author of Unfit for Command.

-30-

http://swift1.he.net/~swiftvet/article.php?story=20040819151115779

So far Kerry has not addressed any of the charges made by these guys.

On October 14, 1979, John Kerry described a remarkable event from his days as a Swift boat officer for the Boston Herald:

"I remember spending Christmas Eve of 1968 five miles across the Cambodian border being shot at by our South Vietnamese allies who were drunk and celebrating Christmas. The absurdity of almost being killed by our own allies in a country in which President Nixon [sic] claimed there were no American troops was very real."

-- President Nixon, of course, did not assume office until January of 1969.

On March 27, 1986, during a speech opposing President Reagan's policy in Central America, Senator John Kerry had this to say:

"Mr. President, I remember Christmas of 1968 sitting on a gunboat in Cambodia. I remember what it was like to be shot at by the Vietnamese and Khmer Rouge and Cambodians, and have the president of the United States telling the American people that I was not there; the troops were not in Cambodia. I have that memory which is seared -— seared -— in me, that says to me, before we send another generation into harm's way we have a responsibility in the U.S. Senate to go the last step, to make the best effort possible in order to avoid that kind of conflict." [see Congressional Record - Senate of March 27, 1986, page 3594]

And again, in a 1992 article by the Associated Press:

"But for Kerry, who spent six violent months [sic] commanding a patrol boat on the Mekong River, there's always been a ring of truth to allegations of abandoned Americans. By Christmas 1968, part of Kerry's patrol extended across the border of South Vietnam into Cambodia.

"We were told, `Just go up there and do your patrol. Everybody was over there (in Cambodia). Nobody thought twice about it," Kerry said. One of the missions, which Kerry, at the time, was ordered not to discuss, involved taking CIA operatives into Cambodia to search for enemy enclaves.

"I can remember wondering, `If you're going to go, what happens to you,"' Kerry said.

As recently as May of 2000, U.S. News and World Report stated that, "Sen. John Kerry made his first forays into Cambodia during the Vietnam War as a Navy lieutenant on clandestine missions to deliver weapons to anticommunist forces."

Interestingly, Kerry's Cambodian sojourn, though "seared" into his memory by 1986, somehow failed to rate a mention in Kerry's own contemporary journal.

In "Unfit for Command," authors John O'Neill and Dr. Jerome Corsi document the impossibility of Kerry's story:

Despite the dramatic memories of his Christmas in Cambodia, Kerry’s statements are complete lies. Kerry was never in Cambodia during Christmas 1968, or at all during the Vietnam War. In reality, during Christmas 1968, he was more than fifty miles away from Cambodia. Kerry was never ordered into Cambodia by anyone and would have been court-martialed had he gone there.

During Christmas 1968, Kerry was stationed at Coastal Division 13 in Cat Lo. Coastal Division 13’s patrol areas extended to Sa Dec, about fifty-five miles from the Cambodian border. Areas closer than fifty-five miles to the Cambodian border in the area of the Mekong River were patrolled by PBRs, a small river patrol craft, and not by Swift Boats. Preventing border crossings was considered so important at the time that an LCU (a large, mechanized landing craft) and several PBRs were stationed to ensure that no one could cross the border.

A large sign at the border prohibited entry. Tom Anderson, Commander of River Division 531, who was in charge of the PBRs, confirmed that there were no Swifts anywhere in the area and that they would have been stopped had they appeared.

All the living commanders in Kerry’s chain of command—Joe Streuhli (Commander of CosDiv 13), George Elliott (Commander of CosDiv 11), Adrian Lonsdale (Captain, USCG and Commander, Coastal Surveillance Center at An Thoi), Rear Admiral Roy Hoffmann (Commander, Coastal Surveillance Force Vietnam, CTF 115), and Rear Admiral Art Price (Commander of River Patrol Force, CTF 116)—deny that Kerry was ever ordered to Cambodia. They indicate that Kerry would have been seriously disciplined or court-martialed had he gone there. At least three of the five crewmen on Kerry’s PCF 44 boat—Bill Zaldonis, Steven Hatch, and Steve Gardner—deny that they or their boat were ever in Cambodia. The remaining two crewmen declined to be interviewed for this book. Gardner, in particular, will never forget those days in late December when he was wounded on PCF 44, not in Cambodia, but many miles away in Vietnam.

As part of the supporting documentation given to station managers for our television ad, "Any Questions?" we provided this regarding John Kerry's "Christmas in Cambodia":

The story is a total preposterous fabrication by Kerry. Exhibit 8 is an affidavit by the Commander of the Swift boats in Vietnam, Admiral Roy Hoffmann, stating that Kerry's claim to be in Cambodia for Christmas Eve and Christmas of 1968 is a total lie. If necessary, similar affidavits are available from the entire chain of command. In reality, Kerry was at Sa Dec -- easily locatable on any map more than fifty miles from Cambodia. Kerry himself inadvertently admits that he was in Sa Dec for Christmas Eve and Christmas and not in Cambodia, as he had stated for so many years on the Senate Floor, in the newspapers, and elsewhere. Exhibit 27, Tour, pp. 213-219. Sa Dec is hardly "close" to the Cambodian border. In reality, far from being ordered secretly to Cambodia, Kerry spent a pleasant night at Sa Dec with "visions of sugar plums" dancing in his head. Exhibit 27, p. 219. At Sa Dec where the Swift boat patrol area ended, there were many miles of other boats (PBR's) leading to the Cambodian border. There were also gunboats on the border to prevent any crossing. If Kerry tried to get through, he would have been arrested. Obviously, Kerry has hardly been honest about his service in Vietnam.

John Kerry was never shot at by Khmer Rouge and Cambodians. He never took CIA operatives into Cambodia to search for enemy enclaves. In fact, John Kerry's boat never came within 50 miles of Cambodia at any time.

Last Updated Friday, August 13 2004 @ 11:44 AM PDT

I was not in Vietnam. The left leaning journalists attacking this group were not in Vietnam.

Of those who did fight in the Vietnam war 250 dispute John Kerry's claims and 13 support them..........

Vets_after.jpg

The purpose of this photo is to correct the misleading use of our images -- against our will -- to further John Kerry's campaign.

----------

This photograph of John Kerry and 19 other Coastal Division 11 Swift boat officers was taken at Ton Son Nhut Air Base on January 22, 1969, immediately following a meeting with General Abrams and Admiral Zumwalt.

The Kerry campaign featured the photograph in an advertisement released in May titled Lifetime. Swift Boat Veterans for Truth has contacted surviving members of this group to find out how many actually support John Kerry, and discovered that of 19 Swift boat skippers pictured other than Kerry, 12 consider him unfit, 4 are neutral, two have died, and 1 is working with the Kerry campaign. Four other officers were not present for the photo session; all oppose Kerry.

Only 1 of John Kerry's 23 fellow Swift boat commanders from Coastal Division 11 supports his candidacy today.

Last edited:

RyMac

Established Member
^^^^

Wow, F rice, can I have some Cliff Notes?

JK. I mean, I have already read much of the swiftvet website (which is funded by the Republican party, I mean friends of them my bad) and if there is anything we should know as Americans, its that you can twist many things around with '...' and excerpts, hence what both candidates have been doing.

For instance, many of the so called 'flip flops' for John Kerry were before and after the terrorist attacks and dealt with TERRORISTS, etc. I think that issues which have taken place and time which has gone by which play a big role in these particular issues. Not to mention in 20 years (the amount of time which has gone by on some of the claimed flip flops) is a long enough time to accurately assess a decision you have made and then change your vote.

Bottom line, Kerry is definately not the most respectable war hero (as he initially let on), but accusations made by Swift and Rep. are not correct either considering the 'war monger, fiendish, liar John Kerry'.

Thats my take on it :shrug:

f_rice

EFF GM AND CHRYSLER!!!!
Established Member
^^^^

Wow, F rice, can I have some Cliff Notes?

JK. I mean, I have already read much of the swiftvet website (which is funded by the Republican party, I mean friends of them my bad) and if there is anything we should know as Americans, its that you can twist many things around with '...' and excerpts, hence what both candidates have been doing.

For instance, many of the so called 'flip flops' for John Kerry were before and after the terrorist attacks and dealt with TERRORISTS, etc. I think that issues which have taken place and time which has gone by which play a big role in these particular issues. Not to mention in 20 years (the amount of time which has gone by on some of the claimed flip flops) is a long enough time to accurately assess a decision you have made and then change your vote.

Bottom line, Kerry is definately not the most respectable war hero (as he initially let on), but accusations made by Swift and Rep. are not correct either considering the 'war monger, fiendish, liar John Kerry'.

Thats my take on it :shrug:

Kerry's campaign is crumbling.

Vietnam is all he had to dispute what an anti war liberal dove his 20 years in senate proves he is.

So when it seems he fabricated at least some of details about his military service, it undermines any creditbility he was trying to establish.

We are at war with Islamic terrorists. The most liberal member of the U.S. Senate is not the man I want in office.

"John Kerry reporting for a place in history; one right next to Michael Dukakis"

kerry_dukakis_photoops.jpg

gyacopetti

Super Crazy SVT Poster
Established Member
All Kerry would have to do is make his war records public, and then we could all put this to rest. If someone or some group was saying things to discredit you, wouldnt you want to do something to stop them? Shi t, this guy is an idiot. If he has nothing to hide, he should sign the form(not sure what its called) to release his military records. Instead of doing the smart thing, he send lawyers to do his work for him.

Also, if these alligations were not true, why would 250 people put everything on the line to try to push lies. If it turns out these statements are not true, then these people will obviously be held liable.

All Kerry has to do is release his records, then we would know the truth.

RyMac

Established Member
Originally posted by gyacopetti
Also, if these alligations were not true, why would 250 people put everything on the line to try to push lies. If it turns out these statements are not true, then these people will obviously be held liable.

What do you mean 'why would they'? So a Republican (the same party they endorse, ohh, and the same party which gives financial backing for their organization) could stay in the white house, that would be my guess:shrug:

gyacopetti

Super Crazy SVT Poster
Established Member
What do you mean 'why would they'? So a Republican (the same party they endorse, ohh, and the same party which gives financial backing for their organization) could stay in the white house, that would be my guess:shrug:

You could say that, but its just not likely that 250 would put themselves financially on the line if they knew what they were saying wasnt true. Why doesnt Kerry just come out and make his records public?

I want to know the truth, and were sure as hell not gonna learn it if all Kerry does is send the lawyers, and try to get a damn publishing company to stop the presses!

f_rice

EFF GM AND CHRYSLER!!!!
Established Member
Good thing there is no bias in the media:

Swift Boat Vets: Kerry was a egomaniacal jerk who turned three minor cuts and abrasions into three Purple Hearts, wasn't trusted by his fellow officers, and stabbed his "band of brothers" in the back by calling them war criminals when he got back.

Kerry defenders: You don't know that! You weren't on the boat with him!

Swift Boat Vets: We were on boats right next to him. And Steven Gardner was.

Kerry defenders: Gardner doesn't count! And you guys don't count! Only the people on the boat really know what Kerry was like in Vietnam!

Chicago Tribune editor William Root: I was on a boat next to him on one important day, and I say Kerry's story is true.

Kerry defenders: See, the matter is settled!

Swift Boat Vets: Wait, he was on the next boat over. Why is his testimony trustworthy, but not ours?

Kerry defenders: Only Root's testimony counts! Everybody else who wasn't in the boat with Kerry doesn't count!

Bush was hounded to release his records and he did.

captain4g63

Idiot
Established Member
Originally posted by f_rice
Good thing there is no bias in the media:

Swift Boat Vets: Kerry was a egomaniacal jerk who turned three minor cuts and abrasions into three Purple Hearts, wasn't trusted by his fellow officers, and stabbed his "band of brothers" in the back by calling them war criminals when he got back.

Kerry defenders: You don't know that! You weren't on the boat with him!

Swift Boat Vets: We were on boats right next to him. And Steven Gardner was.

Kerry defenders: Gardner doesn't count! And you guys don't count! Only the people on the boat really know what Kerry was like in Vietnam!

Chicago Tribune editor William Root: I was on a boat next to him on one important day, and I say Kerry's story is true.

Kerry defenders: See, the matter is settled!

Swift Boat Vets: Wait, he was on the next boat over. Why is his testimony trustworthy, but not ours?

Kerry defenders: Only Root's testimony counts! Everybody else who wasn't in the boat with Kerry doesn't count!

Bush was hounded to release his records and he did.

That's money f_rice. :beer:

03CobraBro

Established Member
Originally posted by Billybong
Turn on your AM radio right now and listen to Michael Savage. He's interviewing some of the swiftvets guys right now. One dude named Steve Gardner, who served under Kerry's command and was on his boat, is slamming Kerry big time. Once again the mainstream liberal media (ABCBSCNNBC) are the ones lying.

:fm:

LIberal and media in the same sentence... Oxymoron?

03CobraBro

Established Member
So we condemn Kerry for the possibility that he has twisted the truth, but we dont condemn Bush for misleading the public on a much larger scale with the war in Iraq? :shrug:

No politician is perfect, and if you want to base your vote strictly on charactar than its a pick your poisen, and in this scenario GWB's poisen seems far more potent IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread