Vette Owners buying '13 Shelby

NYStockboy

Established Member
Those of you that currently own Corvettes and are purchasing a 2013 Shelby, are you selling or trading your Vette, or keeping that beautiful car as well. I own a Vette, live in Manhattan and put a deposit down on the first allocation at Manhattan Ford at MSRP. Living in Manhattan, I keep my Vette in an excellent garage on a lift, so the car never gets dinged, but at a cost of $465/month. Having 2 cars will obviously double that cost, but I feel I must do it because I would absolutely feel sick selling the Corvette.

How do the rest of you Vette owners feel?

Thanks,
Ken

SVTullio

Typical Vette Driver
Established Member
I am interested, but not 100% sold on the 2013 Gt500. Debating between that or a used GTR. I have driven the GTR, want to drive the GT500 or at least see how them respond to mods when they come out. SO I am obviously waiting for them to be released.

On to the previous question. I sold my vette in January, and miss it dearly everyday. I enjoyed the hell out of it for almost 4 years but wanted something different. If I could have kept it and gotten a GTR/GT500 I would have.

If you can swing it, keep the Corvette too! But $465 for a garage??!!! HOLY CRAP.

<------ Never gonna live in NY.

reason4treason

Established Member
Yeh, you've got the NYC situation to deal with, which most do not. Glad to have escaped NY in 1977. I'm keeping my C6 for at least another year or two, and I get pissed when I find a scuff on it. (only happened twice but then again, you live in NYC where everything gets dinged/scuffed/vandalized to some degree sooner or later and fairly often: people, pets, cars, landscaping, etc) I've always parked it outdoors, and just wash and wax regularly. It hasn't been that big of a problem.

I’m leaning toward the ’13 Shelby, but see used Z06s from time to time advertised at dealerships with less than 10K miles for low $50Ks. There’s usually more room to bargain on a used car too so that’s an option. I’ve seen new C6’s with $10K off too. Not very interested in the ZL1. I'm very curious about the C7 but am not going to wait until summer 2013 before I do a purchase. I haven’t really had the hots for a Mustang since 1970 when my 18 year old buddy next door got a new Mach 1 and the guy up the street had a Boss 429. When I was old enough to get my license I got a Chevelle, and pretty much kept on that path (Except for an EVO IX). I think the Mustang is way, way overdue for a restyling. And there are so many on the street, that while it can be customized for individuality, it seems to me to have long lost any novelty. But hearing “650 hp” gave me whiplash. Base MSRP will probably be the largest factor in my decision at this point.

Last edited:

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
I think its absolutely nuts to live in NYC, Manhattan and own those two cars! you never really get to enjoy or drive them the way they are meant...its the reason I left 4 years ago

big500

Established Member
I am in a unique situation where I have a zr1 and a 11 gt500. I was debating whether it is worth selling the gt500 too get the new one were depending on the pricing I may have to shell out an addition $15-25k. If I had to choose between the corvette and the 13 gt500 without first driving the gt500, I would hard pressed to sell the corvette just yet. I can't imagine a dealer at least here in the Midwest that will let you test drive the gt500 long enough for a good evaluation.

Big500

Last edited:

Redzone

Established Member
Currently have three Corvettes. '60 roadster,'07 Z06 and '10 Grand Sport vert. None will be traded,the 2013 GT500 will be an addition.

Corvette is the only GM product I own.

notch5.0

Established Member
Those of you that currently own Corvettes and are purchasing a 2013 Shelby, are you selling or trading your Vette, or keeping that beautiful car as well. I own a Vette, live in Manhattan and put a deposit down on the first allocation at Manhattan Ford at MSRP. Living in Manhattan, I keep my Vette in an excellent garage on a lift, so the car never gets dinged, but at a cost of $465/month. Having 2 cars will obviously double that cost, but I feel I must do it because I would absolutely feel sick selling the Corvette.

How do the rest of you Vette owners feel?

Thanks,
Ken

I have an older brother who has been a Chevy-Vette car salesman for about 10 years. He has been after me to buy a Vette for a number of years, but I have resisted, even though I have the GM MasterCard with credits.

Given my interest in the 2013 GT500, it is causing some friction in the family!

I've been mostly a Mopar guy for a very long time other than a early adopter of a 1987 5.0 notchback with the police package. Still miss that car!

Any investment tips/websites/advice to help with providing funds for the GT500?

needspeed

Interested Party
Established Member
I was first in line to get a 13 GT500 at my dealer and decided I can wait until next year since I don't wait very well.

So two weeks ago I picked up a new 12 Z07 loaded and I am very happy with my first Vette.

I would add the GT500 to my collection, but not swap one for the other.

They are very different cars.......Steve

Supernova

Established Member
I think the Mustang is way, way overdue for a restyling. And there are so many on the street, that while it can be customized for individuality, it seems to me to have long lost any novelty.

You drive a Corvette, but think the Mustang needs to be restyled? ;)

reason4treason

Established Member
^I did say I'm antsy for the C7. People as old as me shouldn't be wishing for time to pass quicker but I guess it's just one more side effect of the car bug. :) Can't wait to see pricing on the '13 GT500.

I really liked the way the sixties Shelby's looked so distinctive from other Mustangs with a much different tail too, the best looking feature of the car IMO. My first encounter was I believe with a '67 which I saw at the Grahamsville fair, an annual summer in-the-boonies shindig in a backwoods upstate NY location. The price was $5500. A couple of years ago I saw a similar one sell for $550K on Barrett-Jackson.

NYStockboy

Established Member
Yea, living in Manhattan is both great and difficult. I have lived here for 30 years, we have raised my 22 year old daughter from birth and in many ways it is fantastic. As a caraholic, it is both hard and a lifesaver. I keep the Vette in a garage 30 blocks from my apartment because the garage has about 50 lifts, one of which is mine. So, my car stays 6 feet in the air on the lift as the daily drivers go in and out, never touching, even breathing on my car. I have kept my previous Camaro, Mustang Bullitt at this garage as well. On weekends, in the Summer, we go to the public beaches on Long Island, beaches where we have been going for 35 years, and see friends we grew up with. During the Winter, I cruise to the beach just for the cruise, or to see friends, and there is nothing that clears my head after a week in the market like a blast out to the beach in the Vette. I drive 4,000 miles a year.

The 2013 Shelby is too good to pass up I think. The Shelby will be a completely different feel than the Vette, both of which I want. Its one thing paying for the second car, another thing adding $465 a month to my fixed costs. But this may be a unique opportunity to get a car that is a performance pinnacle and worth the sacrifice.

Thanks,
Ken

NYStockboy

Established Member
Yea, and $465 is a pretty good price, particularly for a lift which is essential if you don't want your car dinged to s--t.

Thanks,
Ken

Redzone

Established Member
Yea, and $465 is a pretty good price, particularly for a lift which is essential if you don't want your car dinged to s--t.

Thanks,
Ken

You're dang tootin' it is. I was in Manhattan recently on business & saw a parking lot with a big banner advertising a "special" of $749.00/month.

I absolutely love my cars. But if I lived in Manhattan I wouldn't have a car there. I would find a place in Jersey to park it. Gotta be a lot cheaper & a short train ride away.

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
Most people who have the means to live in Manhattan dont really worry about costs....thats just truth

If I could own both, I would have the 2013 shelby and a Z07 package vette

R1Lello

Established Member
nope...went from a modded mint GT500 to a Z06 and happier when I open the garage. We all know how impressive stock Z's are but the mods are coming so I'm not worried with competition..assuming they can hook because mine couldn't on street 325's. Starting with less weight is nice instead of an impressive hp number to compensate for the weight of the GT500

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
nope...went from a modded mint GT500 to a Z06 and happier when I open the garage. We all know how impressive stock Z's are but the mods are coming so I'm not worried with competition..assuming they can hook because mine couldn't on street 325's. Starting with less weight is nice instead of an impressive hp number to compensate for the weight of the GT500

Hmmm, I would be concerned. lol

Users who are viewing this thread