vibration @ 80+ mph

cobraetti

part of the zombie squad
Established Member
hey, I noticed a vibration @ 80+ and my shifter does move a little, whats a good starting point

I am getting the bushings changed out in the IRS next week

Black Sex

Established Member
can't say, been on the car for almost 3 years. anything I should look for?

I would look at the inside of you wheels to see if there are any weights on them. Who ever mounted/balanced the tires on there probily used stick on weights. If the wheel wasn't properly cleaned prior to applying the weights, there is a chance the weights might have fell off over time.

svtcobra101

Established Member
i would look at the inside of you wheels to see if there are any weights on them. Who ever mounted/balanced the tires on there probily used stick on weights. If the wheel wasn't properly cleaned prior to applying the weights, there is a chance the weights might have fell off over time.

++1

stangliter04

Established Member
I am having my Cobra looked at on Friday for the same issue but I'm guessing a driveshaft issue. Does your rearview mirror vibrate?

MWR

YWSOTD
Established Member
hey, I noticed a vibration @ 80+ and my shifter does move a little, whats a good starting point

I am getting the bushings changed out in the IRS next week

Properly adjusting the pinion angle with bruce's or MM's differential bushings should get most of the vibe out.

bgraiders323

Established Member
Hey I got a vibration after 80+mph also!!!! I started feeling it after they did the

following: change diff bushings to MM polyurethane, changed carrier, diff has all new bearings, did the backlash.

my car has like a little vibration after 80+mph and my rear view mirror also gets a little blurry after 80mph

i balanced all my tires and still the same shit! I checked to see if they put the driveshaft back how it was taken off and looks like they did!!

HELP ME PLEASE!!! Its annoying! Could it be the driveshaft isnt balanced????

could it be alignment on front&back tires

MWR

YWSOTD
Established Member
please help me out you guys!!!!

MM poly bushings don't allow proper adjustment of the pinion angle. Bruce's kit or MM solid aluminum diff bushings come with shims to adjust the pinion angle properly. Ford set the pinion angle on the diff to be correct under hard acceleration (allows for deflection of the rubber diff bushings) only which will cause a vibe around 80 kts. If I remember correctly, the stock pinion angle on my car was -1 degrees and the engine and trans were around -2.5 degrees. Using the shims in the MM kit, I shimmed the diff to be at +2.5 degrees and this solved my 80 mph vibe.

MWR

YWSOTD
Established Member
yea but with the aluminum diff bushings you get alot of nvh!!!!!!

There is an increase in NVH, but it's not that bad. I did the MM kit because it was the best at the time. Bruce's kit is the best on the market now period. I guess you can either live with the vibe or the NVH.

stangliter04

Established Member
Well I should have just got up this morning and flushed $52 down the toilet. The tech that worked on my car said I had a vibration but he didnt know where it was coming from and if I wanted he could start checking the motor mounts and other stuff but it would cost a lot. To top it off I had to drive home on Nittos in the rain... :fm:

Users who are viewing this thread