Vibration problems and what Ford told me!!!

YellowCobra28

Established Member
Okay guys I'm posting this up in a new thread, because I kind of hijacked another guy's thread titled "vibration cure?" Sorry about that. This is a similar statement that I made in the other post, tell me what you members think about it.

I am not sure when the vibe started. I know when I drove it off the lot, the car ran as smooth as silk, no vibe. Then after 3,000miles, crap started to happen. At first the vibe was bad, it turned out the tires had flat spots from sitting too long at the dealership(is what Ford told me). So why DIDN'T it vibe right off the lot, if it was sitting at the dealership so long?? Anyways they replaced the tires and road forced balanced it, and the vibe was 90% gone.

I had the aluminum diff bushings by Kenne Brown installed and the diff brace installed. Not sure about adjusting the pinion angle, I had my mechanic do the work, but I don't think it was adjustable(not like the MM kit which is), it only goes in a certain way, and the setup was rechecked for proper installation. You just install it, and your done, I think anyways. I too have the mild vibe still at every speed, but its not too bad, I can live with it I guess. I took it to the dealer recently and they said that it was my rear view mirror that was loose making it seem like I had the vibe.:bs: They were going to replace the mirror for me, but I was like: "Are you going to replace the side mirrors, the steering wheel(very mild vibe, and the passsenger seat while your at it, cause that vibrates slightly too." They are all idiots at Ford. I love the car, but if I sell it, it will be because they are idiots at Fords and don't know anything about customer service. I'm going to take my car in next year, I have the extended warranty, but this dealership doesn't know about it. So maybe I can trick them into fixing the vibe for me, than when they show me the bill, I will be like sorry I have an extended warranty, thank you very much. I bought my car in Toronto, but live in another city near by. They don't know about my extended warranty here, so it may work. The people at Fords are not too bright, so it may work. I told them it may be a driveshaft issue, or maybe even check the front suspension links, something. But they refuse to check for me, and tried to find the easy way out. My dream is to have my car ride smooth as silk again, without the vibe. I read a good article, I may print it out and show Fords this, and maybe they will follow the pointers listed. This info is found in the other post "vibration cure?" There is a site listed by Mach, its worth the read.

Last edited:

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
Depends on what kind of vibration you're getting.

In *general* the driveshaft vibe came/went around 80mph or so.

Check the rear hub bearings to ensure that they are tight/not sloppy/worn.

As well as the front wheel bearings (rarely fail, but worth checking).

Also, IF the nimrods did the roadforce balancing wrong, they can have excess weight on them and still not be dynamically balanced as well as they could be. A tire rebalance by a better shop may be a quick and cheap fix.

Good luck.

YellowCobra28

Established Member
Yeah this vibration is a constant mild vibration at any speed, slow or fast. For example I had my lunch box on the passenger seat, and the zipper was vibrating the whole way to work, making annoying clicking sounds as the zipper was shaking. If you look, the passenger seat shakes slightly and when looking through the rear view its difficult to see a steady view because of the vibration. I got use to the vibe, but if it could go away, it would be my christmas present. I'll get Fords to check it over again. I went there 3 times in the last month with no improvement. So I'm putting my car in storage soon for the winter, and next year in May I will go back to Fords and make a list of what I think could be causing the vibe, and have them fix it. Yeah I'm going to need all the luck I can get. Dealing with Fords is a pain in the ass.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Ford swapped 3 driveshafts and 2 rears for me. No joy.

The most improvement I had was stickin an 04 driveshaft on there, still not perfect. I have a feeling it's the pinion angle. Try swapping yours to MM, at least the fronts, then dial everything in.

That's my next step, then a CF driveshaft.

CPViolation

Car Crazy
Established Member
YellowCobra28 said:
Okay guys I'm posting this up in a new thread, because I kind of hijacked another guy's thread titled "vibration cure?" Sorry about that. This is a similar statement that I made in the other post, tell me what you members think about it.

I am not sure when the vibe started. I know when I drive it off the lot, the car ran as smooth as silk, no vibe. Then after 3,000miles, crap started to happen. At first the vibe was bad, it turned out the tires had flat spots from sitting too long at the dealership(is what Ford told me). So why DIDN'T it vibe right off the lot, if it was sitting at the dealership so long?? Anyways they replaced the tires and road forced balanced it, and the vibe was 90% gone.

I had the aluminum diff bushings by Kenne Brown installed and the diff brace installed. Not sure about adjusting the pinion angle, I had my mechanic do the work, but I don't think it was adjustable(not like the MM kit which is), it only goes in a certain way, and the setup was rechecked for proper installation. You just install it, and your done, I think anyways. I too have the mild vibe still at every speed, but its not too bad, I can live with it I guess. I took it to the dealer recently and they said that it was my rear view mirror that was loose making it seem like I had the vibe.:bs: They were going to replace the mirror for me, but I was like: "Are you going to replace the side mirrors, the steering wheel(very mild vibe, and the passsenger seat while your at it, cause that vibrates slightly too." They are all idiots at Ford. I love the car, but if I sell it, it will be because they are idiots at Fords and don't know anything about customer service. I'm going to take my car in next year, I have the extended warranty, but this dealership doesn't know about it. So maybe I can trick them into fixing the vibe for me, than when they show me the bill, I will be like sorry I have an extended warranty, thank you very much. I bought my car in Toronto, but live in another city near by. They don't know about my extended warranty here, so it may work. The people at Fords are not too bright, so it may work. I told them it may be a driveshaft issue, or maybe even check the front suspension links, something. But they refuse to check for me, and tried to find the easy way out. My dream is to have my car ride smooth as silk again, without the vibe. I read a good article, I may print it out and show Fords this, and maybe they will follow the pointers listed. This info is found in the other post "vibration cure?" There is a site listed by Mach, its worth the read.
Don't know if you still have IRS, but I had a vibe @ 3000>. It was the drivers side half-shaft.
Jeff

YellowCobra28

Established Member
Yes I still have the IRS. Many members on here do, and some of them don't have the vibe. It really isn't that bad, but it would be nice if it could drive smooth again.

04CobraMatt

Established Member
Just FYI, ford extended warrenty's do not cover "squeak and rattles". Also, the second ford brings up your serial# they will see the warrenty.

bigdog93lx

Gallons per mile
Established Member
My car vibes at all speeds. Everything shakes especially during deceleration, as soon as i push in the clutch my vibration goes away. My tranny is noisy as all hell and my mirrors and steering wheel vibrate especially. I wish i knew what the fix was but it seems like there is no clear cut to the vibration issue(s) with these cars. I don't normally ever do this but i had my car up to 140 the other week on the highway and it was vibrating so bad i wouldn't go any further. My brothwer who has an 03' cobra said he was getting the same problem.

I am guessing that if i dont get vibration from my car when i have the clutch pushed in that it is a transmission problem or driveshaft problem. But what the hell do i know.

YellowCobra28

Established Member
04CobraMatt said:
Just FYI, ford extended warrenty's do not cover "squeak and rattles". Also, the second ford brings up your serial# they will see the warrenty.

Yeah well its not really an extended warranty. I bought the car new in 2005 with 0 km's on it. It was sitting there for a year, before a guy with money came along, that was me. So they told me I'm good till 2008. So these clowns here don't know that, they are idiots trust me. They wouldn't even get me a rental at first, when they had it for 3 days. I said its an SVT Cobra, I'm entitled to a rental. The lady had no clue, then after speaking to the manager 20 minutes later, she told me ok.

YellowCobra28

Established Member
Yeah well it states somewhere in my SVT papers when I bought the car, that I am entitled as an SVT owner to have a car rental. Also if you ask the dealership to wash your car while there at it, we have this right to do so. Read it, its in the fine print. Please don't make it sound like Ford is doing us a favor. Trust me on that...

Last edited:

mlccar

SVT Poster
Established Member
Yes It Is The Driveline

bigdog93lx said:
My car vibes at all speeds. Everything shakes especially during deceleration, as soon as i push in the clutch my vibration goes away. My tranny is noisy as all hell and my mirrors and steering wheel vibrate especially. I wish i knew what the fix was but it seems like there is no clear cut to the vibration issue(s) with these cars. I don't normally ever do this but i had my car up to 140 the other week on the highway and it was vibrating so bad i wouldn't go any further. My brothwer who has an 03' cobra said he was getting the same problem.

I am guessing that if i dont get vibration from my car when i have the clutch pushed in that it is a transmission problem or driveshaft problem. But what the hell do i know.

When your clutch is engaged you have a massive vibration damper called the engine/flywheel assembly. When the clutch is disengaged you should be able to feel the vibration alot more. This is the case in my car. I would doubt it is the transmission as the gears and gear train are short enough and small enough that the transmission would have to be truly "pooched up" to cause the vibe. However, the driveshaft is long enough that any end-to-end imbalance - imagine a weight placed on the forward flange at 0 degrees and a weight placed on the rear flange at 180 degrees. When a shaft such as this is rotated both ends will want to trace out a circle (coning)- and- it will get more forcefull with increased RPM.

I do not think this rules out the rear end but I would go first for the driveshaft.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
bigdog93lx said:

Same here. Is it possible that with acceleration/decelaration the rubber IRS bushings compress/decompress with and without load? This could possible be changing the pinion angle depending on driving conditions. Ex. Accelearting in 4th is putting more torque on the pumpkin/bushings than cruising in 6th?

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
mlccar said:
I do not think this rules out the rear end but I would go first for the driveshaft.

Sabredog on the boards here just installed a PST carbon fiber driveshaft and got no change to his vibe :??:

Users who are viewing this thread