Victory or Harley?

Nicky Pass

...boom goes the dynamite
Established Member
I've really been tossing around the idea of picking up a bike this winter. Now I know Harley-Davidson has a cult following and they make good bikes, but I've been researching Victory and they seem to be a good manufacturer as well....Polaris has been around for a long time too. I just really like the looks of the Vegas or Hammer 8-ball.

2010-Victory-Hammer8Balla-small.jpg

Whats the opinion of svtp.com....I'm open to suggestion as well.

ff500

Established Member
I've had 2 Harleys, a lowrider and a duece, I've seen the Victories and they are okay, I'm partial to HD but I would consider a Swift punisher or a Swift chopper.

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
Victory hands down.

Looks better than a harley, and it won't spend half of its ownership broken like a Harley

f_rice

EFF GM AND CHRYSLER!!!!
Established Member
Harley Davidson makes good bikes? I define good as reliability.

The V Rod is damn cool bike. Largely because real companies did most of the engineering.

The Suzuki M109r is a nice bike. If you can find anything Japanese that you like, you will be much happier as time passes.

DEVIL

Established Member
The biggest thing is what makes YOU happy. I have a 1990 HD dresser with 86K on it. I put all the Screaming Eagle motor mods on it at 65K, cam, 10.5/1 pistons +10 over, heads, roller rockers, lifters, pushrods. I did a Jim's 6 speed tranny, barnnets clutch. It has been all over the USA. If I needed them, parts are all over. Many manufacturers use the S&S made version of the Harley motor, and copies of the tranny are sold by others. That's what the "Indian" bikes were before the went out last time. Go up to Milwaukee and tour the factory. Check out the museum. You should already know Arlen Ness has been working with Victory as a stylist, so they are pretty slick. I never worked on a Victory, but their principles must be sound, as they have survived for a few years now. Good luck with your choice, and ride safe.

Blk04Snake

Established Member
Now I know Harley-Davidson has a cult following and they make good bikes,

Cult following... Yes

Good bikes... NO!

Alot of the reason to get a Harley previously was because the whole thing top to bottom was made in the USA, all except the forks. I know a couple techs that work at what used to be the local Harley dealer and if you pop the tire off an OEM wheel now you're greeted by "Made in China" ! And the recalls on these things have went thru the roof.

I'll keep my Japanese bike that hasn't had a single issue in the 3 years that I've had it, thanks.

spike_africa

Established Member
I Vote Yamaha Cruiser or Victory over a HD any day. Their bikes are over priced and slow. Sure they hold their value and that's great and all and I'ma let you finish, but Yamaha built one of the Best cruisers of all time (2009 Vmax).

3Mach1

Established Member
I own a HD and I would buy the Victory hands down. Vic makes some great bikes and will blow a HD in the weeds save for the V Rod. I think the quality is better as well and HD resale once was true but not anymore. The market is flooded with them and they imo are not all they are cracked up to be.

jbrown1238

Built on 4-7-03 @ 3:47:15
Established Member
I would go with the Harley. Bought mine new in 03 for the 100th and have loved it ever since. Always changing something. Just added the Scorch Radical Paint set and matching seat a few weeks ago. In the process of collecting parts for a 95 inch big bore upgrade.

900dsc05525.jpg

Last edited:

aaandht

Established Member
Alot of the reason to get a Harley previously was because the whole thing top to bottom was made in the USA, all except the forks. I know a couple techs that work at what used to be the local Harley dealer and if you pop the tire off an OEM wheel now you're greeted by "Made in China" ! And the recalls on these things have went thru the roof.

Forks were made in the USA by a Japanese company.

Sad to say the new Harley's are made from imported parts. At the dealer a few weeks ago all the bling was made in china or some other 3rd world country. Luckly mine is old enough that any OEM parts I'd get(usually go 3rd party through an indy) are still Made in the USA.

Have heard the rumor that the chroming is done in China because they can make a better quality chrome since they are not held down by environmental restrictions and such. How true that is I don't know.

As for the question, I've never rode a Victory but their dressers are pretty crazy looking, but from what I hear they are put together pretty well. Hell Sonny Barger rides one

amigrad06

SVT Noob!
Established Member
I;ve been trying to sell my 2007 XL1200 Nightster for weeks. The bike has 1500 miles on it, I paid $10K and I can't generate any interest at $7500, high resale rates are a myth. I also know from working as a tech for a harley dealership for awhile, that new H-D's are tuned SO lean from the factory to pass emission standards its not funny. Want to add a K&N filter and pipes on your ride? better get a race tuner.

Users who are viewing this thread