Video of me flying down to San Diego in the helicopter with my sister

CobraMac

Established Member
A lot of you guys loved my threads with pics from the helicopter, so here's a video now!!

So my sister loves using her flip cam and does a pretty good job of making videos with them. She lives in Tennessee and she came home last summer while I was building hours for my commercial license, so I took her for a flight down to San Diego. She filmed almost the whole thing and she made this video for me since I now fly as my job! Thanks for looking and commenting guys!

[youtube_browser]E6Zrp36_oiY[/youtube_browser]

CobraMac

Established Member
nice video...no love for oceanside?!?!

Hahaha she could have thrown some in there...but Long Rifle made us stay up at 1,500 ft. til we passed the Pendleton V.O.R. since they had some CH-46's out doing patterns. So it would have been like a wide view.

Last edited:

TAF

Trilogy Twin Screwed #004
Established Member
Nicely done...I always enjoy your pics...and this was even better. Tell her "Thanks" from all of us for taking the time. And congrats on your success!

CobraMac

Established Member
Cool video man. Tell those controllers to shut up lol.

Thanks man! Hahaha Yahhh I wish I could sometimes. There's one controller out here that's a total asshole 24/7.

Nicely done...I always enjoy your pics...and this was even better. Tell her "Thanks" from all of us for taking the time. And congrats on your success!

Thank you very much! And I definitely will tell her! It's nice to see that some people are actually interested in it lol.

SLOW95

SIT DOWN AND SHUT UP!
Established Member
Thanks man! Hahaha Yahhh I wish I could sometimes. There's one controller out here that's a total asshole 24/7.

Thank you very much! And I definitely will tell her! It's nice to see that some people are actually interested in it lol.

Does he work for Pendleton Tower (NFG)? There are alway grumpy people everywhere its just to bad that some controllers are like that. I try to be as nice as possible but of course sometime pilots dont listen lol. Safe Flight bud.:beer:

DTSVT03

Why try?
Established Member
Man, I will have to take you up on that offer the next time that I am out working in Glendale. Awesome!

CobraMac

Established Member
thats neat my friend. again tell her thanks from SVTP

Thank you! And I definitely will!

Does he work for Pendleton Tower (NFG)? There are alway grumpy people everywhere its just to bad that some controllers are like that. I try to be as nice as possible but of course sometime pilots dont listen lol. Safe Flight bud.:beer:

Hahaha actually no, every Pendelton controller I have spoken with have been really cool! Most let me even cruise low level. If you follow rules they are always cool! You're a controller at Pendleton?! And Yahhh...trust me...a lot of pilots piss me off and are morons. And the controller I'm talking about works at Long Beach. It's so bad we all know his name even lol. He will make us put in squawk codes for no reason when its not even busy out and he knows we are based at the airport. Just hates his life.

SLOW95

SIT DOWN AND SHUT UP!
Established Member
Thank you! And I definitely will!

Hahaha actually no, every Pendelton controller I have spoken with have been really cool! Most let me even cruise low level. If you follow rules they are always cool! You're a controller at Pendleton?! And Yahhh...trust me...a lot of pilots piss me off and are morons. And the controller I'm talking about works at Long Beach. It's so bad we all know his name even lol. He will make us put in squawk codes for no reason when its not even busy out and he knows we are based at the airport. Just hates his life.

No not at Pendelton I was a Marine ATC for about 10 year from New River NC the 5 years at NBC Beaufort Air Station. But im sure I know some of the Controllers out there I would of got your call sign and made a phone call to tell them let you do what ever you want. Well im glad those guys are good to ya they are Marine Controllers in case you didnt know.

CobraMac

Established Member
No not at Pendelton I was a Marine ATC for about 10 year from New River NC the 5 years at NBC Beaufort Air Station. But im sure I know some of the Controllers out there I would of got your call sign and made a phone call to tell them let you do what ever you want. Well im glad those guys are good to ya they are Marine Controllers in case you didnt know.

Oh wow that is so awesome! Yahhh luckily I knew that...good thing I have never given them grief either lol. It's funny cuz somedays they will just start talking to me when no one is in their airspace except me cuz they're bored.

highdensity007

Best wifey EVAR!
Established Member
Video is AWESOME!!!!! That could be the music video "as is" seriously. Wow, what a talented video maker.

Once again always impressed with your threads man. So much win up in huuurrrr.

CobraMac

Established Member
Video is AWESOME!!!!! That could be the music video "as is" seriously. Wow, what a talented video maker.

Once again always impressed with your threads man. So much win up in huuurrrr.

Thank you very much buddy!! :beer: Hahaha I thought the same exact thing! The music is perfect for the video and vice versa. It really was a good job of editing!

Nice... love flying :)

Thanks man!! :rockon:

Powershift03

Clapped out race car
Established Member
Wow, awesome video!! :rockon:

Congrats again too.. for having the fortitude to go through all the training, and getting a job doing something you love for a living. Best of luck to you, and safe flying!

:beer:

FLYIN

Warheads on Foreheads
Established Member
Hahaha she could have thrown some in there...but Long Rifle made us stay up at 1,500 ft. til we passed the Pendleton V.O.R. since they had some CH-46's out doing patterns. So it would have been like a wide view.

That is actually the Oceanside Vortac (100X TACAN, 115.3 VOR) you are talking about. Camp Pen has a TACAN (55X) that is about 2.7 NM from the approach of runway 21. Course rules towards the coast we head just south of the VORTAC at 800' AGL and then proceed 1 nautical mile off shore if transiting North. Traffic inbound Pendleton do so at 1000' AGL direct to the LCAC facility. The VORTAC and LCAC are the checkpoints where we switch to or from Camp Pendleton Tower whether inbound or outbound respectively. There are multiple Confined Area Landing Sites along that portion of the coast up to SONGs (the power plant that looks like a pair of titties) that we utilize for training. Couple of concrete pads as well, one that is painted up like a ship with landing spots to train guys how to land on the ship. Traffic pattern for CALs and Boat pattern is 300' AGL. Some guys may bump it up to 500' AGL. Also lot of guys doing Functional Check Flights East of the I-5. I usually will ask for 1500'AGL and 3500' AGL East of the 5 if doing FCF's out there. Typically it is very busy during the week there. Best to stay out of the way and do what longrifle says.

Does he work for Pendleton Tower (NFG)?

But im sure I know some of the Controllers out there I would of got your call sign and made a phone call to tell them let you do what ever you want. Well im glad those guys are good to ya they are Marine Controllers in case you didnt know.

Hahaha actually no, every Pendelton controller I have spoken with have been really cool! Most let me even cruise low level. If you follow rules they are always cool!

Longrifle is actually range control, although they kind of act as an ATC around there as far as deconflicting VFR traffic. Wasn't until a few years ago they actually got a radar and could see where we were. Before they used procedural control. They do have radar now though. Longrifle as far as the ones on the radio are civillians aboard Camp Pendleton. We do have Camp Pendleton controllers for IFR seperate from Socal approach to handle IFR aircraft. And of course Camp Pendleton Tower. Although if you are talking to Camp Pendleton tower as a civillian you are probably in trouble by that point.:lol:

Sweet video. I love flying up in that area, but rarely get the chance. Can't believe some of those houses. How is the performance in those R22's? Is that what you mostly fly now? Take me up and I'll show you some rocket profiles. Haha. Wish I could return the favor and take you up. Simulator is the best I could get you in, Cobra or Huey.

Last edited:

CobraMac

Established Member
That is actually the Oceanside Vortac (100X TACAN, 115.3 VOR) you are talking about. Camp Pen has a TACAN (55X) that is about 2.7 NM from the approach of runway 21. Course rules towards the coast we head just south of the VORTAC at 800' AGL and then proceed 1 nautical mile off shore if transiting North. Traffic inbound Pendleton do so at 1000' AGL direct to the LCAC facility. The VORTAC and LCAC are the checkpoints where we switch to or from Camp Pendleton Tower whether inbound or outbound respectively. There are multiple Confined Area Landing Sites along that portion of the coast up to SONGs (the power plant that looks like a pair of titties) that we utilize for training. Couple of concrete pads as well, one that is painted up like a ship with landing spots to train guys how to land on the ship. Traffic pattern for CALs and Boat pattern is 300' AGL. Some guys may bump it up to 500' AGL. Also lot of guys doing Functional Check Flights East of the I-5. I usually will ask for 1500'AGL and 3500' AGL East of the 5 if doing FCF's out there. Typically it is very busy during the week there. Best to stay out of the way and do what longrifle says.

Yupppp I've gone by Oceanside VORTAC a lot. When I did my instrument training a few months back we always went down that way and did the ILS into Palomar and even sometimes down to Montgomery. I've always wondered what altitude you guys were doing those at. Whenever you have helos out there I have to be up at 1,500' just past the San Clemente Pier (heading South) and before the Oceanside Pier (heading North). It's always a good time over there and Longrifle is really accommodating and cool even when I've gone by during busy times. During the weekend when no ones out there I've had them just tell me maintain VFR at altitude of my choice basically. I'll still stay up at 500' though.

Longrifle is actually range control, although they kind of act as an ATC around there as far as deconflicting VFR traffic. Wasn't until a few years ago they actually got a radar and could see where we were. Before they used procedural control. They do have radar now though. Longrifle as far as the ones on the radio are civillians aboard Camp Pendleton. We do have Camp Pendleton controllers for IFR seperate from Socal approach to handle IFR aircraft. And of course Camp Pendleton Tower. Although if you are talking to Camp Pendleton tower as a civillian you are probably in trouble by that point.:lol:

Sweet video. I love flying up in that area, but rarely get the chance. Can't believe some of those houses. How is the performance in those R22's? Is that what you mostly fly now? Take me up and I'll show you some rocket profiles. Haha. Wish I could return the favor and take you up. Simulator is the best I could get you in, Cobra or Huey.

Hahaha yahhh never spoken to Pendleton tower so never had to worry about that one :D

And thank you very much! Hey if you ever get the chance it's beautiful up by Laguna and such. I'll definitely take you up sometime if you're up here. I fly R22's R44's and have my turbine transition done in a Jet Ranger too.

Hahaha no worries at all man, believe it or not I have been speaking with multiple Coast Guard members (pilots and even the Flight Surgeon) about joining up with them. Since I am a college graduate and qualify for all aspects of the program I am seriously considering going in through the "Wilks Flight Initiative" and would go directly to OCS and then flight school. So that's an option for me as I would love to be able to say I have some military flight training as well.

FLYIN

Warheads on Foreheads
Established Member
. I fly R22's R44's and have my turbine transition done in a Jet Ranger too.

Hahaha no worries at all man, believe it or not I have been speaking with multiple Coast Guard members (pilots and even the Flight Surgeon) about joining up with them. Since I am a college graduate and qualify for all aspects of the program I am seriously considering going in through the "Wilks Flight Initiative" and would go directly to OCS and then flight school. So that's an option for me as I would love to be able to say I have some military flight training as well.

How often you get to fly the Jet Rangers? Thats what we all train in at flight school. Coast Guard, Navy, and Marines. Army flies a version of it as well. Sounds like a good deal there with the coast guard. Would definitely have a leg up in the helo portion of flight school especially if you had a good amount of time in Jet Rangers. I remember in flight school trying to hover for the first time. Haha. Then after a couple of times you could do it. Oh and the first full auto we did, I was thinking no way in hell am I going to do that. Same thing couple of flights later and you were doing it. Your flight instructor would have a lot less grey hairs on those early flights than the rest of them:lol:.

Users who are viewing this thread