Video showing the crank saver stud from Kinetic next to stock

PM-Performance

Established Member
I know not everyone is into these videos, but if I had known this existed a couple months ago, it would have saved my motor.
So that being said I am passing this new found knowledge along in hopes it saves people’s crank snouts

What is the Kinetic Crank saver stud and do you need one?

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Interesting. If the stock (or ARP) bolt had that much movement it would be dispersed along the length of the threaded shank to the point at which it engages the first thread in the crankshaft. If you now fill the void from the counterbore so that portion can't move, you would be directing forces from that same movement at the balancer to the area where the threads begin for the portion of the stud that retains the balancer. In other words, you'd be redirecting any fatigue to a specific area rather than dispersing it along the length of the threaded shank. If there really is that much deflection from a properly torqued balancer I think you may be asking for trouble by imparting fatigue to the area where the smooth part of the stud shank meets the thread.

In addition, it is only the first few threads of a given fastener that does all the work. Threading the stud that much deeper into the crank doesn't somehow better disperse the tension imparted into the stud as that additional threaded section is just mass along for the ride.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
If still running the factory 08+ balancer would this have been a factor at all?

I ask since i have not seen an OEM 08+ plus balancer fail.

PM-Performance

Established Member
If still running the factory 08+ balancer would this have been a factor at all?

I ask since i have not seen an OEM 08+ plus balancer fail.

there has been word that plenty stock cars have broken too in my research.
Take that for what it’s worth thoigh.
I have seen many more broken with people with ATI balancers.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
there has been word that plenty stock cars have broken too in my research.
Take that for what it’s worth thoigh.
I have seen many more broken with people with ATI balancers.

The video is somewhat misleading. Because the movement does not apply when mounted and tq to the OEM 08+ balancer. Now had they actually tested on a Vehicle an showed that it had movement that would be different. My guess is that the tolerance for the ATI and other aftermarket balancers may be off that would cause that play.

PM-Performance

Established Member
The video is somewhat misleading. Because the movement does not apply when mounted and tq to the OEM 08+ balancer. Now had they actually tested on a Vehicle an showed that it had movement that would be different. My guess is that the tolerance for the ATI and other aftermarket balancers may be off that would cause that play.

I think it showed that way for a reason. Just the fact there is any play and not fully seated I think is of some concern. ESP a part like that.
Someone on my video was talking high level about fasteners, but honestly I cannot say I have ever felt anything like head studs, or mains or anything like that have play.
The reason he showed it seated the way he did was to allow for the surface area of the washer and damper material to give a real world example I am sure.
Again I never claimed to be an engineer, but it makes sense the way he shows it to me

Users who are viewing this thread