Video surveillance for your home

WarNipple

Established Member
Anyone have any experience with home video surveillance systems? I want to spend around 500 bucks or so and get a couple of decent outdoor day/night infra-red cameras preferably wireless so I can just run software on my computer through my wireless router. Caught this punk ass neighbor kid about 17-18 years old looking inside my neighbors car a few months back when he thought i was at work (3rd shifter). This morning I come home to my car being gone through completely. Took all my change and some other small shit. Wasn't much of a loss by any means but the thought of that piece of sh*t going through my stuff makes me want to drag him down the street with a rope tied around his feet. Anyway, anybody have some good info?

Thanks!

Dominion

I'm your Huckleberry..
Established Member
Wish i had some of these for the times my cars have been vandalized.

After the 10th time one of my cars was hit with eggs, or keyed or paintballed we put them in.

We are looking into some better cameras and wide angle lenses to get more of the street as well.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Sad that we even have to discuss surveillance systems for our property. You might do a Google search where you'll find a lot of good info, both on options/installation and systems.

!!!PainTrain!!!

Mattis for POTUS
Established Member
Fry's Home Electronics | Computer Parts & Accessories, Software, Games, TVs, Cameras - Frys.com

We bought ours from frys. 2 night vision cameras that record to a computer's hard drive. They work great, just make sure you are willing to spend a little more for the appropriate camera for your house.

+1. My friend was having problems with his car getting egged and paintballed. He got two cameras off this website and caught the punks doing it. They each got sentenced to jouvie because of it. Turns out they lived less than a mile away from his house.

algorithm

Banned
spend 3-4K, and get 10 cameras. put them on the roof, in trees, everywhere, so EVERY inch of your yard and the surrounding street is covered. Have it hooked up to a fatty monitor so you can view all of em at once...... thats my plan!

WarNipple

Established Member

Dominion

I'm your Huckleberry..
Established Member
I wish 3-4k was in my plan :bash:

Complete 4 CH Channel DVR 2 Camera Surveillance System - eBay (item 280484403775 end time May-24-10 14:27:25 PDT)

This looks like a great deal for what you get... Think I might go with this. All i need is 2 cameras, I already have a home security system with 2 keypads and sensors on all doors and windows. I just need something to keep an eye on my garage and driveway.

Looks like a great option, remember though some of those cameras are trash and are almost like looking down a tunnel. I would still suggest spending some $$ on 2 wide angled night vision cameras.

Trust me.

Ironhand

Banned
My question to the OP is how did they even get into your car? Break in or was it unlocked?

Also, you could try Plan B. Sit somewhere out front of your house with a nice rifle/shotgun anything noticable from a distance for a week straight. Sometimes deterence is the best means to keep the peace.

Raven519

Established Member
we are having an issue with neighbors aswell. white trash type, they stole our for sale signs from right by our front door and another at the end of the parking lot. We live in a small townhouse development *only 5 units* and these people are the only ones who have had issues with everyone else.

i picked up these. 4 CH H.264 CCTV Security DVR System with (4) 1/3 Sony Cameras 4 CH H.264 CCTV Security DVR System (4) 1/3 Sony Cameras [MD-DK4SY] - $383.99 : MYDEPOTS ONLINE, COOL PRODUCT SUPER COOL PRICE!

didn't want to spend too much seeing that we aren't staying here much longer, and this kit fit our needs perfectly.

bdcardinal

I Spend car money on guns
Established Member
Premium Member
my work uses a system from ezwatchpro.com. its pretty cool in that you can log in remotely and check things out. we put them in after we got broken into and theives emptied out every techs toolbox.

lowflyn

Found my 03sbvert...
Established Member
I'm running into these at customer's houses more and more often.

I will say this, if you're going to put cameras in make them noticeable. Probably the most effective setup is a customer of mine who has a 1x2 foot sign that says "This property is under video surveillance". He only has 3-4 cameras but you definitely keep an eye out for them from that point forward. Another one just has a camcorder in the front window aimed at the street.

Raven519

Established Member
I'm running into these at customer's houses more and more often.

I will say this, if you're going to put cameras in make them noticeable. Probably the most effective setup is a customer of mine who has a 1x2 foot sign that says "This property is under video surveillance". He only has 3-4 cameras but you definitely keep an eye out for them from that point forward. Another one just has a camcorder in the front window aimed at the street.

this is my plan...gonna put up 4 cameras that covers our cars, main entrance, down the driveway and our back yard, all easily in sight. If someone tries anything they are caught on camera. :banana:

WarNipple

Established Member
My question to the OP is how did they even get into your car? Break in or was it unlocked?

Also, you could try Plan B. Sit somewhere out front of your house with a nice rifle/shotgun anything noticable from a distance for a week straight. Sometimes deterence is the best means to keep the peace.

I am very meticulous when it comes to locking up the house and my vehicles, and this happened on the very very very very very few times that I left my car unlocked. This leads me to believe that this kid is probably frequently checking cars to see if they are unlocked. I've already called the police on him and he of course denied everything and nothing was done. He is obviously very stupid because he is still doing this sh*t, so I have a good chance of nailing this bastard on camera. Like someone said already, I may end up putting up a sign saying the house is under surveillance for a few weeks just so everyone is aware of the cameras. They won't be hidden so i'm sure this will work out fine. Thanks for the input everyone i'm gonna order something here in a minute.

Guy Fawkes

Established Member
You know what I just realized though..... if somoene breaks into your house all they have to do is steal the reciever for the system LOL.

WarNipple

Established Member
Not gonna happen with my brinks system installed on the house. Either way, you should hide the DVR box in a wall or something.

Users who are viewing this thread