Vigilante Built: '75 Jeep Cherokee S with 6.4/TR6060/Atlas TC

andymarkv

Established Member
I know this thing is MEGA bucks and more of a work of art than an actual vehicle...but man is it beautiful to look at!!
The modern 6.4 Hemi attached to 4wd TR6060 and atlas transfer case is icing on the cake.

jeep.jpg
jeep 2.jpg

Jeep Cherokee 1975 Classic Full Size Jeep Inventory Parts — Vigilante4x4

Junior00

Hurter Of Delicate Vaginas
Established Member
Premium Member
We had a ‘79 Golden Eagle growing up, I’d love to have that now with that drivetrain.

andymarkv

Established Member
Narrow tracks have grown on me over the years.
Ha! I was ignorant until not that long ago that the "Wide Track" Jeeps were a factory thing! I had always just assumed owners back in the day stuck flares on them, had no idea that the axles were wider as well.
They had to be somewhat rare...even when new? I don't recall seeing many on the roads as a kid in the 80's?

Fastback

Baker
Established Member
Premium Member
Ha! I was ignorant until not that long ago that the "Wide Track" Jeeps were a factory thing! I had always just assumed owners back in the day stuck flares on them, had no idea that the axles were wider as well.
They had to be somewhat rare...even when new? I don't recall seeing many on the roads as a kid in the 80's?
They were around, but just like most of the FSJ lineup they got worked to death, or a little thing would sideline them; and they would rot. If you need some extra reading, ifsja.org is the original, fsjnetwork.com is the newer info website.

andymarkv

Established Member
They were around, but just like most of the FSJ lineup they got worked to death, or a little thing would sideline them; and they would rot. If you need some extra reading, ifsja.org is the original, fsjnetwork.com is the newer info website.
Very cool! So your truck is a factory wide track...and I think it was your fathers? Do you know if he custom ordered it, or if he found it on the lot?
I think yours is an '83...? I'll have to do some research, did they make the wide track right up till the late 80's?
Your truck seems like a rare combo, that's why I'm curious if it was ordered that way.

Fastback

Baker
Established Member
Premium Member
Big fenders flares. Wagoneers/Grand Wagoneers for instance are all narrow tracks.

J-Trucks are all wide tracks. Cherokees came in both wide and narrow track.

Mine is an 84, coming up on 40 years old now. Just seems like yesterday she got her collector plates!

A little cut and paste

The Jeep Cherokee FSJ series was a full-size SUV produced by Jeep from 1974 through 1983. It was largely based on the Jeep Wagoneer, but was offered as two-door only until 1977. The Jeep Cherokee was considered a sportier and more fun version of the Wagoneer. (The Wagoneer was seen largely as a reliable mode of transportation for families with kids.)
Initially, the Jeep Cherokee SJ was only available as “narrow track”. You could either go for the basic Model 16 or open up your purse for the more expensive Model 17.

Later, additional trim levels were added, such as the Sport, Chief, Golden Eagle, Golden Hawk, Laredo, and Pioneer.

The Chief package didn’t just come with trim changes; it would also give you larger fenders and wider axles that could accommodate larger tires for drivers seeking extra off-road capabilities. (Not available for 4-door models.)

The Golden Eagle and Golden Hawk were both marketed as graphics packages, while the high-end Laredo was more focused on upholstery. The Golden Eagle was very similar to the Chief, but with denim for the interior, gold painted steel wheels and a prominent golden eagle decal on the hood.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I agree that it's more a work of (automotive) art. It really is a beautiful '75 Jeep Cherokee. Gotta love the drivetrain.

Users who are viewing this thread