Vin lookup

Stripped302

Established Member
i want to locate one of my previous cars to possibly re-purchase. some one told me that a leo's computer can tell them who the current registered owner is if they run the vin#. is this possible?

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
Yes it is possible for us to do, but only for criminal justice purposes. Any other use is illegal.

oldmodman

Established Member
Is there a form you can fill out at the DMV to get this type of information.

Like fill out the form and the DMV forwards it to the current registered owner, then the owner can reply if they choose to.

Stripped302

Established Member
I can tell you no LEO here is going to run a VIN for you.

for sure, i wouldn't expect or ask anyone to do this for me online. i have some friends that are leo that sometimes come by on-duty and would ask them in person, but just like to know whats possible and whats not, or how much effort something takes before asking lol.

found out today there is a form that you can fill out at the michigan dmv, but you have to be a p.i. , legitimate business(dealer), or doing it for research purposes but have to be working for a legitimate company that does that type of work. thanks for letting me know looking it up is possible.

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
What they are saying is that unless we are doing it for law enforcement purposes, we can get ourselves in a load of shit. That goes for your "buddies" as well. Please do not ask them to jeopardize their careers so you can find a car.

I think I will add this to the psa sticky if someone hasn't already.

Good luck finding your car OP. :beer:

Stripped302

Established Member
thanks didn't know that it's something that they can get in trouble for. i'll try my luck with the dmv form and check the "other" box and see what happens. what's a psa a sticky by the way, i don't post often so excuse my forum illiteracy lol.

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
thanks didn't know that it's something that they can get in trouble for. i'll try my luck with the dmv form and check the "other" box and see what happens. what's a psa a sticky by the way, i don't post often so excuse my forum illiteracy lol.

The "psa sticky" is a thread started by another member (Lt. Z06) that included certain things that would be of helpful information to not only members of this site but the general public as well.

Some of the things are supposed to be a little humorous but still factual/helpful so turn your sarcasm meter up a little and just remember that the information is there for your benefit, with a poke of fun at others expense.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/donut-shop-61/763726-psa.html

Users who are viewing this thread