Virginia Residents! I need help with some laws asap, please!

Redfire_USMC

Established Member
So I'm active duty military (I'll tell you why this is relevant in a sec) and I recently bought a car from Georgia that was delivered here to a Virginia tuner just today. I will be able to pick it up tomorrow but apparently, there are quite a few laws that I have to abide by before I can even start driving the car.

One of the things is that I know I have to have an emissions test within the last 12 months from one of their approved states. Luckily, I got that taken care of and it was smogged last week in Georgia, which is one of the approved states.

Now, the laws that somewhat confuse me. So apparently I have to have it pass a vehicle safety inspection before I can register it and operate it. Does this have to be done by a law enforcement officer?

Also, before I can register it, I have to title it? Can someone please clarify for me the exact process that I have to take to drive my car around here? If I can't drive it until I register it, how am I supposed to go to the dmv, smog stations, and safety inspection stations? Sounds like a stupid question but I'm currently going through a training course in with the Marines here in Quantico and I just don't have time to knock all of these down at one time. This is here me being active duty military can be relevant.

I may not have time to register, title, or have this thing inspected for quite some time because by the time I am released every day all these previously mentioned service stations are already closed. Am I pretty much SOL until I actually do have time to take care of it all or is there a way around some of this? Or do I have the process mixed up?

Please, anyone with info or knowledge on this situation, if you could please enlighten me, I would really appreciate it. Thank you!

I just want to drive my car without being hassled...

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
Your car can be smogged and inspected before you register it. VA DMV is open for a few hours on Saturday mornings. Talk to the tuner that the car is currently at. Maybe they can get it somewhere to have it smogged and inspected for you.

As far as titling/registering, they can be done at the same time at the DMV office. If you go on Saturday morning, get there about 30 minutes before it opens so you can be close to the front of the line.

Redfire_USMC

Established Member
Would I be able to register the car without the car actually being there? Also, the car is already smogged, but not yet inspected. Does the inspection have to be with a law enforcement officer?

silver03svt

Established Member
Would I be able to register the car without the car actually being there?

Yes, as long as you have the other title, possibly a bill of sale (since it is an out of state title), and the smog paperwork, you can title and register at the DMV without actually having the car there. If there are issues at DMV, they can tell you what you will need to get it properly taken care of.

Also, the car is already smogged, but not yet inspected. Does the inspection have to be with a law enforcement officer?

No. Most repair facilities can perform state inspections. It's an annual vehicle inspection that covers the car's ability to operate safely on the roads. In VA, this is the sticker that you see in the middle bottom of the windshield. Costs $16.

Redfire_USMC

Established Member
Yes, as long as you have the other title, possibly a bill of sale (since it is an out of state title), and the smog paperwork, you can title and register at the DMV without actually having the car there. If there are issues at DMV, they can tell you what you will need to get it properly taken care of.

No. Most repair facilities can perform state inspections. It's an annual vehicle inspection that covers the car's ability to operate safely on the roads. In VA, this is the sticker that you see in the middle bottom of the windshield. Costs $16.

Im guessing that state inspection comes with some paperwork so that I don't have to bring the car in?

I'm just hoping I can make this all happen tomorrow because I do not want to have a mind full of worries just for driving a car that I rightfully own..

I really appreciate the help by the way. This is very helpful. :beer:

silver03svt

Established Member
Im guessing that state inspection comes with some paperwork so that I don't have to bring the car in?

I'm just hoping I can make this all happen tomorrow because I do not want to have a mind full of worries just for driving a car that I rightfully own..

I really appreciate the help by the way. This is very helpful. :beer:

Yes, aside from the sticker on the windshield, you should get a piece of paper to carry in the car that shows it passed inspection. I am in Richmond, and we don't have the emissions testing here yet. I know you SHOULDN"T need the inspection paper for registration, but you WILL need the smog paperwork to get registered.

Who is doing the tuning?

And you're welcome for the help! :beer:

Redfire_USMC

Established Member
Yes, aside from the sticker on the windshield, you should get a piece of paper to carry in the car that shows it passed inspection. I am in Richmond, and we don't have the emissions testing here yet. I know you SHOULDN"T need the inspection paper for registration, but you WILL need the smog paperwork to get registered.

Who is doing the tuning?

And you're welcome for the help! :beer:

I don't need the inspection paper to get it registered? Can you please elaborate on this? The car is there in Richmond actually. It's over with Kevin at Performance Autosport. Familiar with them?

silver03svt

Established Member
I don't need the inspection paper to get it registered? Can you please elaborate on this? The car is there in Richmond actually. It's over with Kevin at Performance Autosport. Familiar with them?

Yup. I know the owner, Mark, pretty well. Performance Autosport is a great place to get your work done and get it tuned.

And the VA state inspection program is totally separate from DMV registration. You will need to get the car inspected on an annual basis. The smog is what you will need to get registered in northern VA.

Redfire_USMC

Established Member
Yup. I know the owner, Mark, pretty well. Performance Autosport is a great place to get your work done and get it tuned.

And the VA state inspection program is totally separate from DMV registration. You will need to get the car inspected on an annual basis. The smog is what you will need to get registered in northern VA.

That's awesome. they've been great to work with so far.

Holy smokes, that's pretty comforting being that my timeline is pretty slim tomorrow since the dmv closes at noon.

It is the statement under the section "Obtain a vehicle safety inspection sticker" that has m kind of worried.

https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/moving/#newva.asp

gallopingford

Hi, my name is Cam
Established Member
Are you worried about driving the car somewhere to get it inspected? You won't have a problem finding a place very close to where the car is to get an inspection done.

Last edited:

Bfazona

Established Member
Do you maintain an home of record outside of Virginia? If so, you could register the car in that state. I have maintained my Pennyslvania residency during my entire enlistment, which gives me the ability to maintain my PA plates, and more importantly, I am exempt from getting the car inspected while on active duty stationed outside of the state. Just a thought, because I couldn't imagine the hassle of dealing with VA emissions/inspection when I was stationed there years ago. Plus, no front plate required in PA as well.

Redfire_USMC

Established Member
Are you worried about driving the car somewhere to get it inspected? You won't have a problem finding a place very close to where the car is to get an inspection done.

I was not planning on getting all the paperwork taken care of until next weekend when I had more time. The problem is I planned on driving it around all day tomorrow and most of Sunday and I just did not want to get pulled over while driving or be given any crap while trying to get on base. I'm not sure how hard of a time law enforcement would give me around here for not having proper registration but I don't deal with any type of problems at all which is why I wanted to get it all done tomorrow, if possible.

Redfire_USMC

Established Member
Do you maintain an home of record outside of Virginia? If so, you could register the car in that state. I have maintained my Pennyslvania residency during my entire enlistment, which gives me the ability to maintain my PA plates, and more importantly, I am exempt from getting the car inspected while on active duty stationed outside of the state. Just a thought, because I couldn't imagine the hassle of dealing with VA emissions/inspection when I was stationed there years ago. Plus, no front plate required in PA as well.

I would love to do this but my home of residency is in Ca and they won't allow me to register the car there without a smog test performed over there. They only honor their emissions test and they have to visually inspect the car at the dmv itself. Being that I don't have the car there, it just wouldn't work. I'm starting to run out of options here...

silver03svt

Established Member
That's awesome. they've been great to work with so far.

Holy smokes, that's pretty comforting being that my timeline is pretty slim tomorrow since the dmv closes at noon.

It is the statement under the section "Obtain a vehicle safety inspection sticker" that has m kind of worried.

https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/moving/#newva.asp

That is just a warning issued by DMV. My agency, VSP, handles the inspection side of things. Any person/business wanting to do state safety inspections must be tested by VSP and follow guidelines set forth in a safety inspection manual we publish. Law says that ANY vehicle registered in VA MUST HAVE a VA safety inspection.

Redneckbmxer24

Established Member
Go to DMV and do the title, registration, and tags first. It doesn't have to have a current state inspection to do this. It also doesn't have to have emissions to register, they will give you 30 days to get it done. You do need to get the inspection ASAP after you go to DMV though because you can get ticketed without it. After you're tagged and registered take it somewhere and get it inspected. I personally wouldn't bring a nice care to one of the gas station inspectors, take it somewhere reputable with good English speaking techs.

Bad03gt

Do what!?
Established Member
Good old va! You will also need to display a front tag as well. You can only have 50% tint on windows no tinted windshields. No tinted lights. Have to have cats and mufflers... Yea va pretty much sucks the fun out of everything you do!

Last edited:

Socal Mach

300+ club
Established Member
Go to DMV and do the title, registration, and tags first. It doesn't have to have a current state inspection to do this. It also doesn't have to have emissions to register, they will give you 30 days to get it done. You do need to get the inspection ASAP after you go to DMV though because you can get ticketed without it. After you're tagged and registered take it somewhere and get it inspected. I personally wouldn't bring a nice care to one of the gas station inspectors, take it somewhere reputable with good English speaking techs.

He will need the inspection sticker to get on base though.

AluminatorSnake

Established Member
Good old va! You will also need to display a front tag as well. You can only have 50% tint on windows no tinted windshields. No tinted lights. Have to have cats and mufflers... Yea va pretty much sucks the fun out of everything you do!

im 99% by VA law, any non stock or modification to exhaust is illegal. including just welded in mufflers. pretty much everyone will overlook it but if you really make some LEO mad they can get you on it.

If you have extensive mods, like i currently have now that aren't in my sig, make buddies with someone at a shop that will still pass your inspection. If your car is already at the performance shop, see if they can take it somewhere that they know will pass it.

Redfire_USMC

Established Member

I have cats and mufflers so that part is good, am I allowed to have tinted tail lights or no tinted lights at all?

Redfire_USMC

Established Member
im 99% by VA law, any non stock or modification to exhaust is illegal. including just welded in mufflers. pretty much everyone will overlook it but if you really make some LEO mad they can get you on it.

If you have extensive mods, like i currently have now that aren't in my sig, make buddies with someone at a shop that will still pass your inspection. If your car is already at the performance shop, see if they can take it somewhere that they know will pass it.

Really? Damn, I hope this is not the case because that would seriously up my bill. I have borla stingers...

Users who are viewing this thread