Virginia Residents! I need help with some laws asap, please!

Rascal

Established Member
VA sucks

There are so many bad things about Virginia I tend to avoid the state like the plague if at all possible! I specifically live in Maryland because Virginia is so F*cked up of a state. The people are generally nice it's the LEO and the laws that are Nazi. A few low points; 80mph is reckless driving & 20 mph over any speed limit is also reckless driving. For example on an Interstate where the posted speed limit is 70mph in VA, e.g. a lot of I-95 & I-81 in VA, if you get caught going 10mph over IT'S RECKLESS DRIVING!!!

Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles

I've never been pulled over in my Camaro not once in 12 years and I drive it all Spring, Summer, and Fall. It is loud and I always get on it when I'm out for a cruise. It has never had a front tag, the exhaust is illegal short & loud, it has DRs, it has a roll cage with harnesses all of these are illegal are could be considered so if LEO were jerks in my area. VA sucking the fun out of everything is an under statement.

-Rascal

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
There are so many bad things about Virginia I tend to avoid the state like the plague if at all possible! I specifically live in Maryland because Virginia is so F*cked up of a state. The people are generally nice it's the LEO and the laws that are Nazi. A few low points; 80mph is reckless driving & 20 mph over any speed limit is also reckless driving. For example on an Interstate where the posted speed limit is 70mph in VA, e.g. a lot of I-95 & I-81 in VA, if you get caught going 10mph over IT'S RECKLESS DRIVING!!!

I've never been pulled over in my Camaro not once in 12 years and I drive it all Spring, Summer, and Fall. It is loud and I always get on it when I'm out for a cruise. It has never had a front tag, the exhaust is illegal short & loud, it has DRs, it has a roll cage with harnesses all of these are illegal are could be considered so if LEO were jerks in my area. VA sucking the fun out of everything is an under statement.

-Rascal

So, let me get this straight.....us LEO are Nazi's because we enforce the laws that the legislator's write? Care to explain this further for me please? I would love to hear more of your LEO bashing ways.

Also, no need to edit your use of profanity. The profanity filter will do it all by itself for you. So, if you had just typed out the F word like ****ed, it will automatically block it for you. See? ****ed. Next thing you know, you will be calling the site owner a Nazi too for blocking out certain words.

Last edited:

kingCOBRAsvt_99

STOCK..looking
Established Member

-Rascal

I drove around for years in my '99 vortech t trimmed cobra in Fairfax county of all places VA with full length headers no cats roll cage bigs and littles and a push off handle sticking out the trunk and was only messed with once and I was speeding. Cop pulled beside me and mouthed "slow down" and promptly gave me a thumbsup. Most of it has to do with how you act and your driving style.

That said BWAHAHAHAHA at calling VA laws "Nazi"

Take a look at our gun laws and then at yours. I think you'll find there's more people from Virginia that won't set a single foot into your state because of this. And honestly you guys need cc more then us here in nova. PG county anyone?

AluminatorSnake

Established Member
Ha the laws are strict but most LEO are cool about it. As long as you dont rub them wrong they overlook a lot. Most ive ran into appreciate a nice car.

Redneckbmxer24

Established Member
He will need the inspection sticker to get on base though.

So he goes to DMV to title and register and he gets the 30 day waiver for the emissions. This then allows him to drive his vehicle to get it inspected and emissions done at the time if he so chooses...

People are making a bigger deal out of this than it is. It's a non issue and hundreds of people do this on a daily basis.

silver03svt

Established Member
So he goes to DMV to title and register and he gets the 30 day waiver for the emissions. This then allows him to drive his vehicle to get it inspected and emissions done at the time if he so chooses...

People are making a bigger deal out of this than it is. It's a non issue and hundreds of people do this on a daily basis.

DMV will give out a 30 day waiver on emissions for that? This I didn't know as we don't have emissions down where I am.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I have 30 years in the DC area, graduated HS from southern PG county so I know a little bit about both states. and I would MUCH prefer to live in VA than the shithole called Maryland.

perhaps you should read up on the laws as well, your little rant about laws you apparently know nothing about makes you look .. less than knowledgable

-Rascal

ArmedSuspect

destroy everything
Established Member
I drove around for years in my '99 vortech t trimmed cobra in Fairfax county of all places VA with full length headers no cats roll cage bigs and littles and a push off handle sticking out the trunk and was only messed with once and I was speeding. Cop pulled beside me and mouthed "slow down" and promptly gave me a thumbsup. Most of it has to do with how you act and your driving style.

That said BWAHAHAHAHA at calling VA laws "Nazi"

Take a look at our gun laws and then at yours. I think you'll find there's more people from Virginia that won't set a single foot into your state because of this. And honestly you guys need cc more then us here in nova. PG county anyone?

hahahah, yep... **** Maryland.

coming from a guy that hasn't driven a 100% "legal" vehicle since 1995, VA isn't all that bad.

got pulled over for no front plate a few months ago... got a warning. what more could i want, i KNOWINGLY drove the car without a front plate.

gasyone

Put Her In Jail!
Established Member
I spent 12 years in law enforcement in Florida. Moved to VA (no longer in law enforcement) and got my first ever ticket for my window tint being too dark. I guess the trooper didn't have any real police work to do. Those are the ones who give LE a bad rep.

silver03svt

Established Member
I spent 12 years in law enforcement in Florida. Moved to VA (no longer in law enforcement) and got my first ever ticket for my window tint being too dark. I guess the trooper didn't have any real police work to do. Those are the ones who give LE a bad rep.

Why exactly would you say that? VA law already allows a 7% leeway in tint, so if your tint is below that, I'd write you a ticket for it, too.

Redneckbmxer24

Established Member

So you think he's a bad person for enforcing the law, the very title of his job and exactly what you said in your first sentence? LOL. Logic > you.

alex3610

Established Member
Been in VA for almost 6 years now. Coming from NJ, some stuff is really different. I have been with a friend and gotten stopped for going 106 in a 55 in NJ, and all he got was a speeding ticket (albeit a large one). In VA, me thinks you would get to spend the night in jail. As some others have pointed out, 20+ over the limit or anything over 80 (although I thought I heard that was going to be changing with advent of 70mph limits on some highways) can get you reckless driving. That in itself is bad, but people need to know that in VA reckless is a misdemeanor criminal charge, so if you do get one, do NOT simply pay the fine and go on about your business because you will now have a criminal record. From what I have seen, most cops here are pretty decent and you have to give them a reason to make them drop reckless on you. Likewise when you go to court, if you have a reasonable record, most people seem to get the reckless charge reduced.

The exhaust law seems pretty "nazi" like, but I've never heard of anyone getting written for it. Considering that about half the vehicles on the road here are lifted pickups with loud exhaust, I would say there is no reason to worry.

Inspection here bothers me a bit. When I still lived in NJ, the birthplace of government bureaucracy and red tape, I think they gave a new car a 4 or 5 year sticker from the dealer when purchased new. After that, it was only every other year that you had to be inspected. From what I understand now, they only do emissions up there and have done away with the safety inspections all together. Something like a little less than half the states in the country do that now. They leave it up to LE to enforce on the roads. I wish VA would do that, seeing as how we are all into personal liberty and what not down here. As others have pointed out, check out our gun laws!

Oh and whats up with no radar detectors in VA? Sorry for the long post/rant.

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
Been in VA for almost 6 years now. Coming from NJ, some stuff is really different. I have been with a friend and gotten stopped for going 106 in a 55 in NJ, and all he got was a speeding ticket (albeit a large one). In VA, me thinks you would get to spend the night in jail. As some others have pointed out, 20+ over the limit or anything over 80 (although I thought I heard that was going to be changing with advent of 70mph limits on some highways) can get you reckless driving. That in itself is bad, but people need to know that in VA reckless is a misdemeanor criminal charge, so if you do get one, do NOT simply pay the fine and go on about your business because you will now have a criminal record. From what I have seen, most cops here are pretty decent and you have to give them a reason to make them drop reckless on you. Likewise when you go to court, if you have a reasonable record, most people seem to get the reckless charge reduced.

The exhaust law seems pretty "nazi" like, but I've never heard of anyone getting written for it. Considering that about half the vehicles on the road here are lifted pickups with loud exhaust, I would say there is no reason to worry.

Inspection here bothers me a bit. When I still lived in NJ, the birthplace of government bureaucracy and red tape, I think they gave a new car a 4 or 5 year sticker from the dealer when purchased new. After that, it was only every other year that you had to be inspected. From what I understand now, they only do emissions up there and have done away with the safety inspections all together. Something like a little less than half the states in the country do that now. They leave it up to LE to enforce on the roads. I wish VA would do that, seeing as how we are all into personal liberty and what not down here. As others have pointed out, check out our gun laws!

Oh and whats up with no radar detectors in VA? Sorry for the long post/rant.

VA definitely has bullshit laws. Radar detectors are an equipment infraction, the allowed tint level is ridiculously light, speeding laws are completely asinine. If you get pulled over you're basically at the mercy of the LEO and in my experience they're mostly cool as long as you're polite and respectful.

Thank Dave Albo, an attorney who handles (handled?) traffic cases, dipshit gets elected to the VA state assembly and promptly works to pass the reckless driving laws that are lining his own pockets.

You'd think that a southern state would have a more lenient approach towards speeding penalties, not VA.

Lt. ZO6

Established Member

Why did you quit law enforcement after 12 years? And why would you consider an officer enforcing the laws, which they were hired to enforce, "not having any real police work to do"?

Twisted2v

Established Member
I never knew VA had emission laws. Or are they for new/out of state cars?

I drove a long time in VA with no cats and never had a problem. When I had no front plate and a front plate with a tint cover, both cops flipped the f out, jumped in their cars and pulled me over.

You can get a VA inspection at pretty much any shop and most gas stations. It's done by a mechanic. They don't do smog or emissions, at least since last year. But cats are required, and they cracked down on inspectors.

Blown38

Established Member
I never knew VA had emission laws. Or are they for new/out of state cars?

I drove a long time in VA with no cats and never had a problem. When I had no front plate and a front plate with a tint cover, both cops flipped the f out, jumped in their cars and pulled me over.

You can get a VA inspection at pretty much any shop and most gas stations. It's done by a mechanic. They don't do smog or emissions, at least since last year. But cats are required, and they cracked down on inspectors.

Certain high populated counties have emissions. IE Northern VA.

Users who are viewing this thread