VMP 67 mm throttle body surging issues

burke985

Established Member
Anyone have issues with this throttle body surging right at tip in, i had shaun update my tune and for it and it started doing this, so i informed him then i got another update and it seemed to go away for a bit but now its back and i really don't wanna bother him anymore on this issue because i cannot capture it on a log. Its the strangest thing because the car will start almost bucking at certain speeds. I had the twin 60mm on the car before and it was perfect almost stocklike.Was just wondering if this was a normal charateristic because its annoying especially when the car drove perfect before probably gonna swap back to the 60 for the time being.

Setup is Roush TVS/ Roush CAI 82mm pulley

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
No personal experience, but from what I have heard that is usually a trouble free TB and Shaun does have experience tuning for it. Did you have to re-pin the connector for it? If so I would start there and probably call VMP as well.

burke985

Established Member
No personal experience, but from what I have heard that is usually a trouble free TB and Shaun does have experience tuning for it. Did you have to re-pin the connector for it? If so I would start there and probably call VMP as well.

I bought it used I didn't know about any re-pinning but it plugged right in.

Last edited:

vortecd

Established Member
it is in the tune. I threw on a couple of different throttle bodies on my car and they had the slight surge to them. On my current tune I was getting a hesitation going to WOT from a stop and they changed the tip in and it fixed it. But now I get a little surge at light throttle going slow

pickles

Established Member
Might be worth talking to Justin about to get some input, he's likely got the most experience with the twin 67 out of anyone. I have zero surging issues.

How's it feel at WOT?

burke985

Established Member
Might be worth talking to Justin about to get some input, he's likely got the most experience with the twin 67 out of anyone. I have zero surging issues.

How's it feel at WOT?

It's fine at WOT and when you give it a Lil gas, it's just when I'm in part throttle. Idles perfect I don't get why I'm having this issue I double checked install and all the pins in the connectors and everything looks good. I called VMP today and they said it's probably in the tune but Idk I have never had this before in any of my tunes from Shaun.

burke985

Established Member
Seriously don't reply its in the tune if you cant tell me what in the tune because that makes it look like your guessing, this forum really sucks now used to be so informative...smh

Last edited:

vortecd

Established Member
it is in the tune. I threw on a couple of different throttle bodies on my car and they had the slight surge to them. On my current tune I was getting a hesitation going to WOT from a stop and they changed the tip in and it fixed it. But now I get a little surge at light throttle going slow

I thought I explained it here. It has something to do with tip in

burke985

Established Member
I thought I explained it here. It has something to do with tip in

You explained the same thing I'm having is a surge at part throttle, the replies I'm getting are it's in the tune and my question was "what in the tune ? "...just saying it's in the tune don't answer anything.

vortecd

Established Member
I think it has to do with "tip in" That is what they said they changed on mine which got rid of the bog but now I have a slight surge. With the cruise on going down the highway I notice it has a slight surge going up hill also

burke985

Established Member
I think it has to do with "tip in" That is what they said they changed on mine which got rid of the bog but now I have a slight surge. With the cruise on going down the highway I notice it has a slight surge going up hill also

Been talking to shaun and VMP the past couple days i think and shaun thinks its a bad TPS, gonna run some more logs and see if i can confirm that but IMO it has to be a hardware issue, why would it run perfectly with one on with basically the same electronics and not run perfectly with the other makes no sense. The 67mm Idles perfect and WOT is fine

Last edited:

burke985

Established Member
Swapped TPS and it still does it, contacted VMP rep and asked if I could get the electronics swapped out by them about a week ago and still haven't heard back from them. I'm outta ideas

Mcdiaz

rookie SVT Poster
Established Member
you know what i seem to be having the exact same issue and i have a stock 60mm throttle body that came with my roushcharger kit, i also have a tune by Shaun at AED. I data-logged it and Shaun said everything was fine so i dont know what to think maybe change my throttle body? I just had it dynoed and ran perfect i hate when it doesnt run right.

Shaun@AED

you know what i seem to be having the exact same issue and i have a stock 60mm throttle body that came with my roushcharger kit, i also have a tune by Shaun at AED. I data-logged it and Shaun said everything was fine so i dont know what to think maybe change my throttle body? I just had it dynoed and ran perfect i hate when it doesnt run right.

From our emails you were running stock spark plugs and had spark blowout. I recommended a plug change to NGK6510's and a proper gap of .032-.035" back in March. I'm assuming you did swap plugs with the correct gap?
WOT spark blowout is not a TB or tune issue. The data logs I have from you look good as far as the data, but the RPM trace at WOT is choppy. Typically that is a plug or coil issue, which is why I recommended the change.

burke985

Established Member

My 60mm runs perfect and I really don't know what was the issue with the 67 and why it didn't like my setup but it's long gone. VMP offered to rebuild it for 150 plus shipping but at that point I could have just bought a new one. I bought a Barton Hybrid 3 Shifter instead that will probably benefit the car more any how than 10 more rwhp and tbh I didn't feel that much of a difference in throttle response or power. Maybe midrange was a tad bit meatier but that's it.

02blackfoci

my 60mm has a surge issue as well. I cant get it to do it from the 1000rpm up to 5000rpm that shaun asks for but just cruising it does it in between 2000 and 3000 rpm under light throttle. its annoying as **** but I'm going to be buy a bigger throttle body and putting headers on so ill figure it out then. no need to email that man to death when I plan on changing what could be the cause. I did read that there was a bad batch of electronics that are floating around so I'm crossing my fingers and blaming that right now lmao

mhyjek

Established Member
My 60mm runs perfect and I really don't know what was the issue with the 67 and why it didn't like my setup but it's long gone. VMP offered to rebuild it for 150 plus shipping but at that point I could have just bought a new one. I bought a Barton Hybrid 3 Shifter instead that will probably benefit the car more any how than 10 more rwhp and tbh I didn't feel that much of a difference in throttle response or power. Maybe midrange was a tad bit meatier but that's it.

Tune or TB cant really say more since we don't have any logs but the only thing changed was the TB and it was used those two things make me lean towards TB

15PSI

Established Member
I have a VMP branded Twin 67mm on my 2012 and have had zero issues with it. Idles at 800RPM, clean transition in Tip-in, and pulls smoothly up to 7K at WOT.

Users who are viewing this thread