WANTED: VMP GEN2R/ 2013/14 TVS Supercharger

ConnorRobinson

Established Member
That Gen 3 is a pig compared to the Gen2R. If you find a 3R you might be on to something, but the regular 3 isn't better than the Gen2R, especially for a mildy modified, mostly stock engine.
Really? I thought the 3 was supposed to be at or above the gen 2R efficiency! I will have to do more digging

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
There is a reason they very quickly came out with the Gen3R after debuting the Gen3.
Not really true.
I think the biggest issue was the Gen 3 unique TB pattern.
The Gen 3 will make more than a Gen 2R all else the same.
The 3R is the best TVS but I’d recommend a new Gen 3 for $2700 before a used 2R.
Good luck.
-J

HKusp

Established Member
I was speaking with a person who tunes for a living and is VERY familiar with VMP's stuff. His wording was, "the original GEN3 was a pig" and went on to say they revised the flow path on the GEN3R because of that, as well as the unique mounting that required the use of their own throttle body.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I was speaking with a person who tunes for a living and is VERY familiar with VMP's stuff. His wording was, "the original GEN3 was a pig" and went on to say they revised the flow path on the GEN3R because of that, as well as the unique mounting that required the use of their own throttle body.
Well as a guy that’s owned all 3 and made over 1000hp with all 3 on a built 5.8, I might know a bit more.
Again, read what I wrote.
You will not make more with a 2R than with a 3. Obviously 3R is king daddy.
I don’t disagree the 3 wasn’t good but that’s not the point.
-J

HKusp

Established Member
Well as a guy that’s owned all 3 and made over 1000hp with all 3 on a built 5.8, I might know a bit more.
Again, read what I wrote.
You will not make more with a 2R than with a 3. Obviously 3R is king daddy.
I don’t disagree the 3 wasn’t good but that’s not the point.
-J
I read what you wrote, nowhere did I say a 2R would make more than a 3R, what I said was the regular 3 isn't better than a 2R on a mildly modified motor. If you made 1000hp, on a mildly modified motor, kudos to you, but your post states "built" so apples to oranges.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Ok, on ANY 5.4/5.8 GT500 motor then 3 will make more than a 2R all things equal.
You’re spreading things you’re told and I’ve had all 3 blowers on the same engine.
Not really worth arguing over.
Would you rather have a 2300 rotor pack or a 2650 rotor pack?
-J

ConnorRobinson

Established Member
I will try and call Justin from VMP to get his opinion in this discussion of 2r vs 3. Sad to hear that sale is over, I should have snagged one when I had the chance!

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I will try and call Justin from VMP to get his opinion in this discussion of 2r vs 3. Sad to hear that sale is over, I should have snagged one when I had the chance!
Conner I don’t believe they sell anything but the 3R any longer.
The 3 with make about 50rwhp more than the 2R on a 5.4/5.8 with basic mods.
On my 5.8 with stock compression, cams and all bolt ons all with same 15% lower 2.4 upper:
Ported 2R 965rwhp
Stock 3 1025rwhp
Max ported 3R 1110rwhp
All same tuner and same dyno E85
Good luck
-J

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member

Well allow me to chime.

Apples to Pineapples......

I have personal data with a Gen2R and a 3R on a strictly 5.4L street, full bolt on car. The #'s were almost identical. The pros of the 3r were it pulled further in the RPM band, than the 2R. Where as the 2R does feel like it plateaus and stops pulling lower in the RPM band. I almost feel like the 2R did hit slightly harder in the lower RPMs. 2.3 vs 2650?

Pump 93, boost was lower on the 3R, which it should be. Both were dynojet and custom tuned. No mail order.

If your going from a STOCK BLOWER, get the 3R. Lots of potential for later use

I would actually talk with @VNMOUS1 he is well versed in these products and you will get an unbias opinion

Last edited:

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
And why not some eye candy to help you decide

:))
20201230_175922.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G975U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Users who are viewing this thread