VMP supercharged 5.0 tuning issue

tennis_pr0

Established Member
Tuning/idle issues with my new Supercharged coyote

Edit. The title of this thread is misleading. I was running a VMP Supercharger and not a VMP tune. I didn't realize when I made this thread it kind of sounded like a VMP problem. I have switched tunes to a VMP tune and car is perfect now. Just want to make sure that is clear. Thanks.

So I bought the car from the dealer it has VMP supercharger on it and is tuned for 93 octane. I think the dealer put some 87 or just lower than 93 octane has in it. I have been having issues with the car stallijg out when coming to a stop. It was bad at first, then I put a fresh tank of 93 in, then it went away, now it's doing it again. Maybe I just need to cycle another full tank of 93 in I don't know. My specific question is could there and do you think there is damage to the e gone since the car is tuned on 93 and the dealer didn't know about out lower octane in it and drove it a bit with the lower octant fuel? The car pulls and drives fine, no overheating no knocking. The only issue I'm having is its stalling out when I come to a stop. Not quite sure where to go from here...

Last edited:

rmurer

Established Member
besides doing a datalog, I would check the intake to make sure everything is secure.
Also shoot Justin an email over at VMP ([email protected]) Thought you didn't get the stuff through him he might be able to give better insight since he's the man with them.

tennis_pr0

Established Member
If I start it it doesn't stall out at idle it only stalls out when coming to a stop. Would I be able to tell if there is any engine damage? Compression and vacuum test?

tennis_pr0

Established Member
Sometimes it also goes to stall out and then right before it does it saves itself and idle goes back up. Possible valve damage?

SHIFTYBUSINESS

Established Member
What intake do you have? I had the same issue with the JLT 123 and the stage 2 gen2. VMP sent me this foam insert with holes in it and it went away. The foam piece fit in the rectangular intake coming from the grill that directs air to the large cone filter. This could be the problem, ask BJ for one.

tennis_pr0

Established Member
What intake do you have? I had the same issue with the JLT 123 and the stage 2 gen2. VMP sent me this foam insert with holes in it and it went away. The foam piece fit in the rectangular intake coming from the grill that directs air to the large cone filter. This could be the problem, ask BJ for one.

I have the jlt intake as well. I am under the impression that if engine damage did happen because of the dealer putting in bad gas that I would have obvious signs, right? And they would certainly show up on a compression and or vacuum test correct?

Last edited:

Vert

Established Member
I highly doubt you have engine damage and what are your RPMs at a warm idle. Other area to check is to make sure you don't have a vacuum leak, especially if you have the jlt intake.

tennis_pr0

Established Member
I highly doubt you have engine damage and what are your RPMs at a warm idle. Other area to check is to make sure you don't have a vacuum leak, especially if you have the jlt intake.

Rpm is about 800-850 at warm idle. I do have the jlt intake and checked all the connections, they are all secure

Vert

Established Member
RPMs seem to be high enough, is the cone filter pressed all the way onto the intake. Also, did you check the rubber coupler from the throttle body to the plastic tube to ensure its on all the way.
Lastly, turn on your ac and then come to a stop and see what happens.

tennis_pr0

Established Member
RPMs seem to be high enough, is the cone filter pressed all the way onto the intake. Also, did you check the rubber coupler from the throttle body to the plastic tube to ensure its on all the way.
Lastly, turn on your ac and then come to a stop and see what happens.

Checked all those things, however did not check the ac thing. I will do that now. What does that mean?

jn2

Established Member
It's not about the intake not being bolted right, it's about the MAF being calibrated for the intake and it being exposed to turbulent air. This may cause fluctuating readings which could be what your issue is from. Only way to know for sure it to datalog it.

Engine damage is unlikely, the ECM has Knock Retard tables it can revert to to lower your timing and prevent any damage.

If you were local I would offer to help you datalog it and see what we found.

tennis_pr0

Established Member
It's not about the intake not being bolted right, it's about the MAF being calibrated for the intake and it being exposed to turbulent air. This may cause fluctuating readings which could be what your issue is from. Only way to know for sure it to datalog it.

Engine damage is unlikely, the ECM has Knock Retard tables it can revert to to lower your timing and prevent any damage.

I can data log once I get the sct tuner right? Then just upload a file and have people check it?

Last edited:

Vert

Established Member

I'm repeating what VMP told me to check since I was having the same issue so it's gotta have some validity to it

jn2

Established Member
I'm repeating what VMP told me to check since I was having the same issue so it's gotta have some validity to it

It does have validity. If the intake was loose it would introduce unmetered air which could cause the issue as well. My response was due to the OP saying they did check all those things already. Which means its is most likely turbulent air. It could still be throttle body tune related as well. Would need to log throttle angle error.

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
For the next three tank fulls load 1 bottle of lucas octane booster for each tank...you will love the results!

tennis_pr0

Established Member
For the next three tank fulls load 1 bottle of lucas octane booster for each tank...you will love the results!

Just stopped at walmart they didn't have lucus but they had sts so I dumped that in and filled it with fresh 93. Car is still doing the same thing. Either stalling out when coming to a stop or it almost stalls then saves it self with a little surge. This again only happens when slowing down coming to a stop, not if I'm already stopped and idling, so just during deceleration. I have been hearing things about the JLT intake having issues so I'm starting to think it could be that. Anyway, this is my plan of action from this point on....

Spoke with Justin and he recommended a fresh 93 tune from him, so I'm gonna do that.

He also recommended changing the plugs for good measure, so I just ordered the 1 step colder plugs from AM

Gonna also do a compression test since I just got the car and want to make sure the engine is good. The dealer not putting 93 octane in really has me worried, but I haven't heard any detonation on the test drive or since I've has the car. The car pulls strong and feels great.

I will datalog and send it to Justin so he can check what's going on.

At that point, I will know I have a good tune, fresh plugs, good gas, and engine is healthy and I'll have date logged. I would hope the problem is figured out at this point.

Thanks for the support so far and I will keep everyone updated as I go along.

tennis_pr0

Established Member
So just a little update. I filled up with 93 and put some octane booster in and today it hasn't stalled once. This happened the when I filled up the last time. I put almost a full tank of 93 and the stalling stopped, then when it got low it started up again.

Again I know the dealer didn't put in 93 and drove it for a while on something lower, maybe there is still a little of that left in the tank and it's causing it to stall when I get low on fuel? I can't see this as being the problem as it just doesn't make sense.

One other thing I noticed today is when I started it up and revved it a little, there was a delay in the engine response. The revs went up but I could tell it wasn't actually getting air there was a good delay from when I hit the throttle and the rev. Now I'm starting to suspect a possible throttle body issue? Like an intermittent stall caused by a sticking throttle plate or something? I can't see filling up with fresh fuel and that helping the problem and the throttle thing to be related howwver, so maybe two separate issues. I guess when I get the new tune from VNP and data log I'll go from there.

Just for good measure I ordered a one step colder brisk spark plug set.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread