Vmp tvs supercharger install

cb900f

Established Member
Hello I am new to this forum. I have a 2014 Mustang GT AT and I am also thinking of installing the VMP STG2 supercharger on my car. I was looking for feedback from someone that has it installed on a automatic transmission as well. I drove the ROUSH STAGE 3 automatic at a dealer here in AZ and I was not impressed at all. It was not much faster then my GT. Especially for the 25K more price tag. The one I drove also was a Phase 1 with a ROUSH tune. Does the VMP version snap you back pretty good? I have 3.55 gears and just did basic upgrades , GT500 axle backs, LCA's and next up is new rims and tires.
Thanks.

Mine had the automatic transmission lines right in the way of the tensioner. I ended up removing a section of hose, and plumbing it differently to the cooler. Not hard, just took some thought. I used 1/2 tranny hose and it was hard to find locally. Had to get it on Amazon.

PM me if you have any questions!

Zona14Stang

Established Member
Thanks for the info. I am definitely leaning towards the VMP STG 2 over the ROUSH STG 2. Do you notice a big increase in low end power? The 0-60 ? Did it change mileage at all. Obviously at first since I am pretty sure I will testing it out I will take a mileage hit. But when it is driven normal since mine is a daily driver. How hard was it to take off the front clip? Installing the front cooler? My biggest concern is scratching anything. I am going to order some fender covers. My first Mustang and I really like it. cb900f What year Mustang is yours? I was looking into places here in the Phoenix area for installs and the Dealers are the most reasonable. That is crazy the dealer was even less expensive for the gears. I trust the dealers out here more than the private shops.
9 hours would not be too bad. Thanks again

cb900f

Established Member
Thanks for the info. I am definitely leaning towards the VMP STG 2 over the ROUSH STG 2. Do you notice a big increase in low end power? The 0-60 ? Did it change mileage at all. Obviously at first since I am pretty sure I will testing it out I will take a mileage hit. But when it is driven normal since mine is a daily driver. How hard was it to take off the front clip? Installing the front cooler? My biggest concern is scratching anything. I am going to order some fender covers. My first Mustang and I really like it. cb900f What year Mustang is yours? I was looking into places here in the Phoenix area for installs and the Dealers are the most reasonable. That is crazy the dealer was even less expensive for the gears. I trust the dealers out here more than the private shops.
9 hours would not be too bad. Thanks again

I have the Roush with 82MM pulley. It's a big difference in power. The stock Roush tune is pretty.... "lame"... Just getting an aftermarket tune on those will really wake them up.

First time out to the track I ran a 10.9@129. So I would definitely say it's faster.

Mileage dropped b/c of the more aggressive tranny tune. It holds gears longer. Just tell your tuner to get a tame shifting pattern and it should be the same.

Front clip wasn't hard, had it off in 30 mins or so. Just take your time and don't get in a hurry. I took 3 weekends doing it, but it's not my daily either. Mine is a 2013.

Zona14Stang

Established Member
Wow 10.9 is great. I think that would be more than enough for me. When you say mileage dropped is that 1 or 2 MPG on freeway? Is that with 3.15's. What was the deciding factor for you between the ROUSH and VMP? Since you have a 13 more than likely I will have to mess with the tranny lines too. I have a second car too but I view them both as daily drivers. Thanks again

BrianH87

Established Member
I was going to go with the VMP kit, but I got a super deal on my Roush kit.

Some advice on the install: When you do the grinding, cover up everything. When you think everything is covered, cover it again. The aluminum dust gets everywhere! Use an angle grinder with cut wheels and follow it up with a flap disc. That will make it smooth and look factory.

The repinning is easy once you know what you are doing. It's hard to describe.

When filling the intercooler tank, do not bolt up the tank to the mounting bracket at first. Pick the tank up in the air as far as you can while you fill it. The hoses allow for movement around a foot or two in the air. Having the tank at the absolute highest point allows air to escape much easier. Also make sure you fill the tank to the top of the clear part. Keep filling it until it stays full at the top. This will ensure the intake manifold gets full of coolant. I had no priming problems this way.

Here's the VMP install instructions. It is slightly different from the Roush. It will help installing either kit.
http://www.vmp-tvs.com/justin/instructions/VMP-5L TVS Kit Revised 9-13.pdf

This thread will help with misc things.
http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...Add-on-to-Roush-TVS-installation-instructions

cb900f

Established Member
Wow 10.9 is great. I think that would be more than enough for me. When you say mileage dropped is that 1 or 2 MPG on freeway? Is that with 3.15's. What was the deciding factor for you between the ROUSH and VMP? Since you have a 13 more than likely I will have to mess with the tranny lines too. I have a second car too but I view them both as daily drivers. Thanks again

I get around 20-22 if I keep it under 75 on the freeway. Yes, still stock 3.15's.

Price was the biggest factor.

rmurer

Established Member
This thread has been helpful. At first i was going to get the stage to roush kit but I'm liking the VMP one a little more. Plus I've been emailing one of the sales people over there and they were responding to my very promptly even over the weekend. So it was nice to see someone was available right away to answer my questions.

califsp

Established Member
Thanks for starting the thread huff. I've been looking at VMP and Roush as well.

One question. Isn't there a fuel pump that will handle up to about 650 hp that can be easily intalled? I thinking like the one on my old New Edge. Drop the tank, take the cover off, change the pump and put the cover back on. It was simple.

Zona14Stang

Established Member
I am definitely liking the VMP kit more I have emailed Justin a couple of times and answered my questions. I just wish I know some one in AZ that has actually done one before to help out. It looks like the only place I trust out here and that are not charging an arm and a leg are the dealers but of course they are pushing the ROUSH kits. The performance shops out here are crazy and they have not done a lot of them any way. VMP seems very customer friendly and willing to help out. Just have to wait until I have enough saved up before I can get one.

Last edited:

yngrshr

Established Member
I am definitely liking the VMP kit more I have emailed Justin a couple of times and answered my questions. I just wish I know some one in AZ that has actually done one before to help out. It looks like the only place I trust out here and that are not charging an arm and a leg are the dealers but of course they are pushing the ROUSH kits. The performance shops out here are crazy and they have not done a lot of them any way. VMP seems very customer friendly and willing to help out. Just have to wait until I have enough saved up before I can get one.

Yeah, man. Justin is super easy to deal with and is available whenever help is needed.

Zona14Stang

Established Member
I get around 20-22 if I keep it under 75 on the freeway. Yes, still stock 3.15's.

Price was the biggest factor.
Hey does your automatic hook up pretty well? I was going to get 275x40 r19 for the back and already did the LCA's. Or will my tires just smoke? I am going with the VMP STG 2 kit

VNMOUS1

Established Member
Our kits all come with complete instructions with loads of pix and there's always tech support. The difference between us and Roush is simple:
Aside from our proprietary inlet and CNC port matched high flow elbow (read: more air=more power) it really comes down to componentry and the foundation of our calibrations. There's a reason why Roush tells their customers to call us for calibrations and pulleys that they simply can't provide.

Components like a bigger JLT 123cai, a triple pass/twin 11" fan heat exchanger on the Stage 2 at an incredible price. We all get that it's highly superior to the simple non-fanned unit Roush provides, but it's a DEAL. That beast is $799 retail. You're getting it as part of the kit for less than wholesale on the piece alone. Literally just a $500 upgrade from the Stage 1.

Beyond that, the assortment of options like Injector Dynamics, plug n play fuel pump boosters, a true 8 rib conversion kit for those wanting to turn it into a race car! (Ours just cut a 9.50@143 the other night off a foot brake while yanking the tires into the air)

Roush is one of our key R&D and manufacturing partners. They provide great products. In this case, ours is better.

And as for emissions, there's no reason for it not to pass in 49 states. It would pass obdii and sniffer in CA but it's not CARB certified. That said, we have a lot of people that must be smuggling them in from Mexico because I see a lot of really nice timeslips showing up in Cali.

bj

Zona14Stang

Established Member
Our kits all come with complete instructions with loads of pix and there's always tech support. The difference between us and Roush is simple:
Aside from our proprietary inlet and CNC port matched high flow elbow (read: more air=more power) it really comes down to componentry and the foundation of our calibrations. There's a reason why Roush tells their customers to call us for calibrations and pulleys that they simply can't provide.

Components like a bigger JLT 123cai, a triple pass/twin 11" fan heat exchanger on the Stage 2 at an incredible price. We all get that it's highly superior to the simple non-fanned unit Roush provides, but it's a DEAL. That beast is $799 retail. You're getting it as part of the kit for less than wholesale on the piece alone. Literally just a $500 upgrade from the Stage 1.

Beyond that, the assortment of options like Injector Dynamics, plug n play fuel pump boosters, a true 8 rib conversion kit for those wanting to turn it into a race car! (Ours just cut a 9.50@143 the other night off a foot brake while yanking the tires into the air)

Roush is one of our key R&D and manufacturing partners. They provide great products. In this case, ours is better.

And as for emissions, there's no reason for it not to pass in 49 states. It would pass obdii and sniffer in CA but it's not CARB certified. That said, we have a lot of people that must be smuggling them in from Mexico because I see a lot of really nice timeslips showing up in Cali.

bj
Thanks for the info. I am saving up for the stg 2 kit with the larger JLT intake. Does VMP have any 0% financing? I want to have at least half of the cost saved up. My cart has $6720 in it now.

cb900f

Established Member
Hey does your automatic hook up pretty well? I was going to get 275x40 r19 for the back and already did the LCA's. Or will my tires just smoke? I am going with the VMP STG 2 kit

On the street I run 20" wheels and it's not even fun.

Track I have 275×60×15 MT Drag radials. Does very well.

I've run those on the street and they do much better than the 20"s.

Zona14Stang

Established Member
On the street I run 20" wheels and it's not even fun.

Track I have 275×60×15 MT Drag radials. Does very well.

I've run those on the street and they do much better than the 20"s.

Hmm someone warned me about too much power. I was hoping for a 0-60 4 sec time. But for that I need the power to get too the road. I was hoping the 275's would get traction. are your 20's 275's?

cb900f

Established Member
Hmm someone warned me about too much power. I was hoping for a 0-60 4 sec time. But for that I need the power to get too the road. I was hoping the 275's would get traction. are your 20's 275's?

Yes they are. But they are Nitto 555. (not 555r) Not the best compound for traction.

Users who are viewing this thread