Voodoo Child

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
The tooling marks are much more precise and smooth.(mind you don't want a glass smooth surface). ...

Why not? Isn't a glass smooth surface exactly what tuners were trying to achieve back in the days of extrude honing heads?

krt22

Established Member
"back in the day" is the key part there. With modern day computational fluid dynamics they can dial in the exact wall roughness to get optimal performance, while factoring in cost and manufacturing repeat-ability.

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
The ridges decrease turbulence. They function similarly to the dimples on a golf ball. That's a very popular comparison to explain how they function.

F8L SN8K

Established Member
Like others have stated a "rough" surface will create a turbulent boundary layer that will actually help with flow, and fuel atomization. A golf ball is the most popular way to try to relate to the function. You can also see these items on such things like on Tractor Trailers and air plane wings. Now you can also go too far and cause flow separation which will cause the air to stall.

The air diffusers in this port design I'm sure is for better fuel atomization and vortex control inside the combustion chamber. Trying to position it in such a way that BSFC is closer to being optimized. Positioning the fuel molecules in such a way so the vortex is not positioned directly around the spark plug as large fuel drop lets are hard to ignite and also not to have emissions issue with the fuel droplets falling from suspension. A mixture of both computer modeling and some good ole fashion engine tear down to examine the ash on pistons.

Last edited:

NELCO

Established Member
TOB, One of the best articles I have ever read.................. Thanks for the hard work and your dedication...........................

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
Interesting to note...the Hendrix lyrics quoted above are from Jimi's Voodoo Child (Chile) (Slight Return) which was remarkably a... complete improv. The Return version is the one most Jimi's fans identify with. The original Voodoo Chile song was in fact finely crafted in the studio previously...more a kin to how the Coyote and Voodoo motors came about. Of course, when if comes to serious, heavy metal the Return version is closer to the heart of Ford's new engine.

TORQUERULES

Established Member
The tooling marks are much more precise and smooth.(mind you don't want a glass smooth surface). That was the item I was really disappointed in was on my right head. The work piece had shifted during the run and has a noticeable step and tool chatter. So much so that another set was ordered. Of course in stock eliminator you buy several sets of everything to see what performs the best.

The ceiling of the 5.2 has a very distinct air diffuser on the roof of the ports(Intake and exhaust). The Combustion chambers look pretty much identical.

These have more lift then the CJs. .511(13mm) vs .551(14mm). The factory 11-14 coyote could only run up to a .472(12mm). The boss heads were designed to be able to run up to the 13mm without extra machine work. This is a lot of lift for a 4v curtain area. The factory stock SCJ cams have a lot of duration in them but are still able to use the full sweep of the TiVCT. Curious what this duration and sweep is.

Don't the stock 5.0 cams form the 2015+ GT Mustang have similar specs to Boss &/or Cobra Jet cams? Not saying they are identical, but I believe I read somewhere that they had similar specs and the TiVCT tuning keeps them tame. That these cams and the newer heads are a big reason the newest 5.0 is making big numbers with just a tune and bolt-ons. Or am I completely off? :-D

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
Don't the stock 5.0 cams form the 2015+ GT Mustang have similar specs to Boss &/or Cobra Jet cams? Not saying they are identical, but I believe I read somewhere that they had similar specs and the TiVCT tuning keeps them tame. That these cams and the newer heads are a big reason the newest 5.0 is making big numbers with just a tune and bolt-ons. Or am I completely off? :-D

I know for sure that at least one of the cam sets has 13mm lift on the 2015 GT, and possibly both intake and exhaust. That's higher lift than the stock Boss, same as the CJ cams. I'm sure the duration isn't as high as the CJ though. Pretty good stock cams nonetheless. That's .512 stock max lift for folks like me. I relate to some things better in SAE still. :/ 14mm is .551 lift. The big gains are in more duration though, not lift.

I have a question about valve sizes. If you have two 38.3mm (1.51") intake valves, is that the same flow as having a single 76.6mm (3.02") intake valve on a two valve motor, or is there a different formula for two valves versus one valve flow?

Last edited:

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I know for sure that at least one of the cam sets has 13mm lift on the 2015 GT, and possibly both intake and exhaust. That's higher lift than the stock Boss, same as the CJ cams. I'm sure the duration isn't as high as the CJ though. Pretty good stock cams nonetheless. That's .512 stock max lift for folks like me. I relate to some things better in SAE still. :/ 14mm is .551 lift. The big gains are in more duration though, not lift.

I have a question about valve sizes. If you have two 38.3mm (1.53") intake valves, is that the same flow as having a single 76.6mm (3.02") intake valve on a two valve motor, or is there a different formula for two valves versus one valve flow?

You typically compare valves by area, not diameter. Shrouding could throw it all off though.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member

I have a question about valve sizes. If you have two 38.3mm (1.51") intake valves, is that the same flow as having a single 76.6mm (3.02") intake valve on a two valve motor, or is there a different formula for two valves versus one valve flow?

It's not all about valve sizes. Shrouding plays a roll as SID mentioned. Smaller diameter ports will have higher fluid velocities. Shape of the ports can have an affect. Whether the port walls are smooth or if they are rough to get the "golf ball effect." Two valves is supposed to also help with how the air/fuel mixes in the combustion chamber itself as well compared to one.

I'm sure someone more versed in fluid dynamics can chime in too.

03VertGT

GT350 Incoming
Established Member
Not attached. I saw them on day 1 at the LA auto show.
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8672/15662002380_b07c0ef809_b.jpg[img]

I don't understand what the internet myth is. This is the one cosmetic bit that I DO NOT like about the car.[/QUOTE]

Every time I see this on other cars I cringe. Is there some purpose behind it?

Mystic_Cobra

Established Member
Every time I see this on other cars I cringe. Is there some purpose behind it?

It is clearly explained in the post. They are air cooling the pipes to keep the heat from melting the valence. Think of the external rings as a heat shield only shiny since you get to see it.

krt22

Established Member
You typically compare valves by area, not diameter. Shrouding could throw it all off though.

Correct, a single 3" diameter valve would actually have 4x the open area of 2x 1.5" diameter valves, so the velocities and flow regime would be very different. But yes, the valve shroud as well as the lift matters as well since that will dictate final hydraulic diameter.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
You guys had me going back to a statement that Adam made in an earlier response.

AC said:
Valves are 38.3mm/32.9mm. The flow increase is proportional to the valve area increase over Boss 302 (discharge coefficient is very similar).

I used Boss valve sizes (37mm/31.8mm) and calculated the area for each valve size for the 5.0 and used Adam's numbers for the 5.2 engine. If the flow increase is indeed "proportional to the valve area increase" then I came up with 7.15% for the intake and 7.03% for the exhaust. I've found flow numbers for the standard Coyote head but not for the Boss head. Anyone have them? Here's the stock, non-Boss numbers I found...

Capturec.jpg

Unfamiliar with discharge coefficient I found it to be "the measure of how efficient a given area is in regards to volume flow verses area, divided by a theoretical maximum." It'd be nice to have all the numbers to plug into a calculator such as this.

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
Area of the valves! That was way too simple. I feel dumb.

Livernois has mentioned the stock Boss numbers somewhere before. I have no idea where to find them though.

'14 Shelby

Established Member
Is it OK to say that ****ing thing sounds ****ing rambunctious!? or will the board mods get upset with the language ;)

Edited by Staff
Now what do you think?

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
All I can find on Boss head flow is something stating 4-6% increase on intake flow and 10% increase on exhaust flow versus 11-14 Coyote heads. If that's accurate, flow @ .50 would be 301-306.8 intake, 221.5 exhaust.

Voodoo may flow somewhere around 322.5-328.7 and 237.1 @ .50 lift.

Last edited:

F8L SN8K

Established Member
Next time I'm at Bischoff's I'll get my stock flow numbers for the heads. But there are lots of things that can be manipulated to give better CFM numbers. Just like dyno's CFM readings are just for data collection and comparison for changes. CFM is only part of the story. You can actually have a cylinder head that is down on CFM then another head but kill it on the engine dyno.

Users who are viewing this thread