Voodoo Child

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
... I second guessed him (a mistake) and at that point he had me get as close as I possibly could and take another look. ...

Reading this line, I can't help but picture the guy grabbing Tob by the scruff of the neck and shoving his face down into the crank saying, "Look again, punk!!" LOL

On another note, so much for a top-loader transmission. And that was the first time I've seen a side shot of the shifter handle. Nooooooo!! It's a penis knob!!

Oh! And is there any color the R doesn't look good in besides yellow?? That AG w/ white stripes looks killer! Makes finalizing a color choice very difficult.

Last edited:

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Thanks.

I'm still going through some of the photos but a couple a couple of things caught my eye so I did some quick side by side shots with respect to the new transmission, the TR3160, and the MT82 as used behind the 5.0 Coyote engine.

Similar bolt patterns and CSC hardware (visually anyway). But the TR3160 clearly uses more cast-in bracing that also appears to be thicker than that of the MT82. Note the "arc" near the top of the bell on the TR3160 too. For those that don't know, the inverted 'V' boss under the CSC is for the internal pump.

MT82_TR3160_Comparison.jpg

A couple of other things in the next photo. Ford chose to keep the single arm shifter arrangement, still retained by a bolt fed in from the same side. The shifter output shaft has a near identical contour between the two as well. But look closely at the fixed flange (it will eventually sandwich a guibo joint between it and the u-joint flange on the driveshaft) - it is still scalloped but looks a bit thicker where it will fasten to the driveshaft. In addition, it looks as though Ford is pulling that flange as far forward as possible whereas the flange on the MT82 actually extended rearward quite a bit.

MT82_TR3160_Comparison1.jpg

Given Jamal and Kerry's comments on carbon fiber not being stiff enough for driveshaft use on this car, I'm now wondering how well the aftermarket will handle addressing these critical frequencies when attempting to develop a one piece steel or aluminum shaft replacement.

b4409

Established Member
Awesome write up. First street legal Mustang I will buy since the SVT "R" models.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Some additional shots from that day. I've definitely grown to appreciate the spoiler on the R.

IMG_7869-Edit%20copy.jpg

IMG_7771%20copy.jpg

IMG_7822%20copy.jpg

IMG_7761-Edit%20copy.jpg

IMG_7854-Edit copy.jpg

IMG_7762-Edit%20copy.jpg

IMG_7821-%20w%20svtp%20wm.jpg

F8L SN8K

Established Member
I assume the 03/04 rod failure that was referenced was the one in the Boss program. Out of development engines produced(first handful went straight into the Grand-am cars) the engine that failed was due the 03/04 rod bolt in that engine. That is saying something about the PM rod metallurgy surviving with flying colors in the situation/rpm they were/are surviving.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Adam referred to the failure as a rod bolt that "came loose." I asked if it could have been an installation error but it didn't sound that way.

F8L SN8K

Established Member
Yes on the first three development engines that were actually sent to the Grand-Am Boss 302Rs used the 03 Cobra rods. One of those engines the rod bolt failed. The sinter forged production rods never failed. In race conditions the engines routinely turned 8,000rpm and some even saw 8,400+ rpm when a driver missed a shift or selected the wrong gear.

Last edited:

AZBOSS

Established Member
Great stuff.

I assume the homework has been done. There has been quite a bit of data generated by the Boss and the 13-14 GT500 to justify all decisions.
My biggest concern with the 2-piece DS is the center boot failure encountered on the 11-14 GTs, but again, I'm sure SVT has done their homework, especially with all the Nurburgring testing.

01SVTSnake

Thud Thud Thud Thud Thud
Established Member
As always, great write up and post TOB. Its gonna be a long X number of months until mine is delivered

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Thanks gentlemen.

I received a response to some further inquiry from Adam this morning. The connecting rods are indeed forged and not a powder forging. The material is known as 46Mn. My sense is that it is 46MnVS6 and here's why. The connecting rod manufacturer was never specified but my guess is that the piston/rod module was supplied by the same supplier and the pistons are coming from Mahle. I pulled the following from an SAE paper on ultra-lightweight connecting rods. My logic is that Ford was looking for a high-strength, low-weight material, suitable for fracture splitting and use in this high rpm capable powerplant.

The strongest material suitable for a fracture-split volume-production forged light-vehicle connecting rod was chosen. The 46MnVS6 material is a fine-grained ferritic-pearlitic micro alloy forged steel that has a mean fatigue strength of 496 MPa (71.9 ksi) at R = -2.5. This is about 20% higher in strength than premium 3% Cu powder forged alloys.
Quote from here.

Another...

...premium 46MnVS6 forged steel. The material fatigue strength is 20% higher than the typical C70 forged steel and allows a weight reduction of up to 30% maintaining the connecting rod structural resistance. Such design also brings benefits for the manufacturing process.
Quote from here.

If you're interested in learning more about Vanadium microalloyed steel forgings, try perusing the following pdf.

For those contemplating bolting on a set of 5.2 Voodoo heads (etc) onto their Coyote block the following quotes are directly from Adam.

AC said:
The heads will physically bolt on a Coyote, but the Valves will crash into the bores, or will be so shrouded that the wont flow very well. You will also have
to come up with cams, as the valvetrain geometry is different, and you need the coyote firing order.

AC said:
...they (rods and pistons) aren’t much use to you in any kind of Coyote buildup. They are made for the slightly longer stroke, larger bore, and valve angles/locations of the 5.2L. We did a lot of work to keep the weight down however. We wanted to keep the crank counterweights as small as possible.

AC said:
Valves are 38.3mm/32.9mm. The flow increase is proportional to the valve area increase over Boss 302 (discharge coefficient is very similar).

Thanks again Adam!

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
That's fantastic! This engine should be practically bulletproof if people don't go throwing blowers on them. I cross my fingers for the transmission following suit.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I cross my fingers for the transmission following suit.

Some relevant quotes on the matter...

Jamal Hameedi said:
This (the 3160) has got a dual-mass flywheel, which does ease the shock loads going into the trans. We never even thought of putting a 6060 in because they are way too heavy.

Nate Tovey of Tremec said:
The TR-3160 benefits from nearly every trick in the Tremec playbook—taking cues not only from several of our own successful products, but also what we feel are some of the best practices of the industry as a whole. In terms of technology density, it is arguably the most advanced manual transmission the segment has ever seen.

Nate Tovey said:
Like a GT350 next to a GT500, the TR-3160 is like a surgical instrument next to a sledgehammer when compared to the TR-6060. Though what the 3160 gives up in size and torque capacity, it makes up for in weight savings and high-rpm shiftability. It uses a ‘6060-esque’ synchro package that, in conjunction with its reduced internal mass, translates into a significant gain in synchronizer capacity. It also employs a multi-rail shift mechanism that allows for a more compact design and optimized placement of the shift forks for an improved shift feel.

Nate Tovey said:
The TR-3160 is an ideal pairing with the new GT350 because it takes a similar approach to performance—trading out some of the old-school muscle-car savagery for world-class sophistication. From front to back, this is a much different car than any Mustang we’ve seen before, yet its heritage remains proudly intact. We’ve worked hard to accomplish the same with our new transmission and are proud to be part of the GT350 program.

I'm looking forward to dissecting the shifter that'll be attached to it. In recent years, behind both 5.0 Coyote engines as well as the 5.4/5.8L equipped GT500's, we've witnessed a minimalist approach in terms of the actual hardware that made up these shifters. Ford has an opportunity to step it up a notch here and I hope they err on the side of better being better.

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
I read all of this and it makes my decision to buy one of these cars way more solid...no R for me but after some perusing, I realize the electronics pack has most of what I want, without having to get the full on tech pack thus allowing me to also add on the track pack...mmmm

krt22

Established Member
I read all of this and it makes my decision to buy one of these cars way more solid...no R for me but after some perusing, I realize the electronics pack has most of what I want, without having to get the full on tech pack thus allowing me to also add on the track pack...mmmm

The electronics pack is only if you order the R. If you order the base, your only two options are the tech or track pack.

Users who are viewing this thread