Vortech Boost A Pump Priming problem

Jukens

Established Member
I narrowed my cold start cranking issue to my BAP that isnt allowing my fuel pump to do a full prime. When I bypass it I prime for a good 2 seconds, with it plugged in my pump goes on then off but never a full prime and its causing me startup issues, once started it runs fine though. I have checked the voltage with the key in the run position and its feeding the pump controller 14.5 volts. Anyone have any ideas what could be stopping the pump from a full prime? Its on a 2011 Mustang GT.

Last edited:

SteveG@Lethal

Established Member
When installed, what is the volts going to the FPDM? I would do a voltage check there with the key on. If its not getting the voltage, then a bad device you do have which Vortech is good about taking care of.

Jukens

Established Member
I checked and rechecked the wiring, the BAP is getting a 12.5v to the signal wire, the power is getting the same from the battery, then its sending out 14.5v to the Fuel pump all in the Run position. With BAP I get instant on then off prime, without BAP I get 2+ seconds of prime and normal starts. Its only the priming that has an issue, its working fine at wot and 9lbs of boost.

Last edited:

AMB

Established Member
Boost A Pump Problem

You need +12v to the BAP in "Key On", "Start" and "RUN" positions!!! :thumbsup:

Jukens

Established Member
its wired in right before the harness connector to the fp control module just like the instructions. I have the signal wire from the bap going to the cut +12v wire in the harness, power wire from the bap to the cut wire going into the harness connector of the fpcm, ground wire grounded, +12v power source to the bap from the fuse box, boost vac source from the bov boost/vac hose.

Last edited:

Chuck@Evolution

Established Member
not at all familiar with the vortech baps, but i assume they are similar to kenne bell baps. what wire did u cut to wire i. the bap? what color that is.

RFM50

Established Member
Which vortech bap do you have? The universal or the programable? I just intalled the universal and my car has been running great. If you have the universal you should have the red wire from the bap connected to the violet/green wire to the oem harness and the orange wire from the bap connected to the violet/green wire to the oem fuel pump driver module. The 10 gauge black ground should be grounded and the small 16 gauge black wire should be taped off and not used. Hope this helps

Jukens

Established Member
Programmable. Its funny too when I plug in the USB to it I can hear it power the pump and it does a full prime.

Jukens

Established Member
Well vortech is telling me it would have nothing to do with the prime yet the car primes perfect when the bap is bypassed. Anyone have any ideas before I send it back to vortech to be tested?

SteveG@Lethal

Established Member
its wired in right before the harness connector to the fp control module just like the instructions. I have the signal wire from the bap going to the cut +12v wire in the harness, power wire from the bap to the cut wire going into the harness connector of the fpcm, ground wire grounded, +12v power source to the bap from the fuse box, boost vac source from the bov boost/vac hose.

The red is the power (come from harness) and the orange is the signal (going to FPDM). You swapped the fuel pump fuse to a 30amp as well correct?

I would do a check with a volt meter when the key is ON. Easy way to do it as draw a picture of the box going to and from. Right down what the voltage going in and out and what it is as the fpdm as well.

Also, if you want, you can emial me pictures of the installation and I can help you if needed. [email protected]

Thanks.

Jukens

Established Member
Where's this fuel pump fuse that I need to switch to 30amps because that wasn't in the instructions.

Jukens

Established Member
I checked all the voltages. The booster is getting fed 12.5v directly from the battery. The fpcm is getting fed the same which is wired to the red wire of the booster. The orange wire is going into the fpcm connected and is being fed 13.5v from the booster while in the run position.

Jukens

Established Member
Ok switched it to 30amp and its still not doing a full prime.

Jukens

Established Member
I only took one picture, before I removed, it of the wiring to the harness and connector. Turns out I'm good with fuel up top under full boost so I'm going to send it in to get it checked out by vortech as I can't find anyone that has had this issue.

Jukens

Established Member
imageqfi.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread