Vortech Boost A Pump Priming problem

Jukens

Established Member
sending it in to see what vortech says

Last edited:

Chuck@Evolution

Established Member
He shouldnt need to replace the fuel pump fuse under the hood if hes using the vortech bap. it has its own dedicated power feed from what i gather in the instructions.

Jukens

Established Member
Ok got a new BAP from vortech today and still having the same issue. What controls the fuel pump prime on this car? Is it the control module/relay I am wiring into?

Last edited:

SteveG@Lethal

Established Member
He shouldnt need to replace the fuel pump fuse under the hood if hes using the vortech bap. it has its own dedicated power feed from what i gather in the instructions.

in theory this is true but I have seen cars pop the 20amp and when swapped to the 30amp, they are good.

Ok got a new BAP from vortech today and still having the same issue. What controls the fuel pump prime on this car? Is it the control module/relay I am wiring into?

it's showing correct voltage correct? 12volts in, 17volts out? The picture you have posted is the correct wire too and i'm sure the ground is good. You didn't do anything with the small wire right?

Jukens

Established Member
Yes correct volts just like the last bap. The programmable one only has 1 small wire which is the signal source to turn on (red wire in above picture) other than that I have the output(orange wire in above pic), main power from battery fuse box, and a ground. Picking up a new fpcm from ford tomorrow to rule that out.

SteveG@Lethal

Established Member
Yes correct volts just like the last bap. The programmable one only has 1 small wire which is the signal source to turn on (red wire in above picture) other than that I have the output(orange wire in above pic), main power from battery fuse box, and a ground. Picking up a new fpcm from ford tomorrow to rule that out.

You don't need the small one for anything. Just the in and out with ground. Can you take a picture of everything? thanks

Jukens

Established Member
This is how I have it wired, it requires you to use the small gauge wire to the stock harness, its the trigger wire.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited:

SteveG@Lethal

Established Member
oh, okay. I see now. This isn't the universal BAP. I was explaining most towards that. What we use and have had no issues. Now it makes sense why your using that

Jukens

Established Member
Is there a pressure regulator or anything that tells the pcm how to prime or is it just timed?

RFM50

Established Member
Is there a chance that the vacuum line running from under the hood to the boost a pump in the back of the car, is pinched somewhere? Would that even effect it? Has vortech been able to offer any assistance? This sounds like a problem with the boost a pump or it's install and not the car. I would think vortech could walk you through troubleshooting this thing.

Last edited:

Jukens

Established Member
Tried vortech only response was they never had this problem and their bap shouldn't affect prime. They sent me a new one and its doing the same thing. The boost reference does nothing until it starts seeing boost. I replaced the fuel pump control module and it made no difference. Starting to feel like there is an issue with my car.

mhyjek

Established Member
Is your car a coupe or a convertible? No info on sig but you have it wired as a coupe. Probably stating the obvious!

RFM50

Established Member
If your car doesnt have a problem when you remove the boost a pump, than its not your car. It has to have something to do with the install or possibly a complete bad run of boost a pumps from vortech.

Jukens

Established Member
It's a coupe. Should be no issues with wiring. I have correct voltages where they should be and a good ground.

Jukens

Established Member
Maybe my PCM or pump is acting up on the initial prime since its seeing 13.5+ volts with the bap which is more than the stock harness sends (12.5v) before starting the car. Anyone had a stock pump take a shit on them yet?

RFM50

Established Member
The increased voltage shouldn't effect priming. I have the universal pump that produces a constant 18v. When I prime my car, you can hear the fuel pump significantly louder then when it was stock.

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
No, your pump is fine. I installed a KB BAP on mine today, very easy on that model. Cut a wire, splice two BAP wires in, ground the BAP. Primes every time.

I wonder if the unit you're using has a delayed powerup? The PCM fires the pump up for two seconds when the key turns, as I explained to you in another forum. I would pull the FPDM connector off, put a voltmeter to the main FPDM power circuit and have someone turn the key. If power doesn't come on instantly, there's your problem.

Users who are viewing this thread