Vortech YSi?

ctanZ

Established Member
I have yet to see a YSi on one of these cars. Its a great blower and apparently a direct replacement for the 2200 or other vortech kits. I wonder why we haven't seen it on these cars? Many people think the placement of the head unit for the prochargers aren't so great for IAT's so im pretty surprised.

I also may be missing something, if I am please enlighten!

ctanZ

Established Member
True. But you see F1 series blowers on these cars on stock motors so why not YSI's? They seemed to be popular for previous mustangs.

It also doesn't have to be a stock motor, im surprised a shop out there doesn't prefer vortech over procharger and use a ysi instead of a F1A, which are about equal.

5PointOHNO

Established Member
Are you sure that the YSi is a direct replacement for the v3 or sl2200? If so, I may give it a try next year.

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
i've looked and thought about the ysi

i'm a little mixed on it right now.

the jt's peak efficiency is 60000 rpms

we spin it with the 2.95@ approximately 62,000 rpms. If you look at dyno graphs, it makes peak power at 7500 where we let off.

with the 2.75 pulley, we are spinning 65k or so, and it starts to take the jt out of it's efficiency range,

it makes about the same hp, however it makes it at closer to 6400, then carries straight out across the band. it doesn't drop off, but doesn't make anymore, torque with the 275 is also up about 50 across the band.

my concern with going to the ysi is that peak efficiency is 65,000 rpms.

for me, to maximize the blower, i think you would want to spin it between 67,000 and 70,000.

Sean K tried the ysi head unit. I don't think it made as much power on the dyno, at least with the 2.95 pulley i think. He tried that head unit in MD and i think he went 9.4's with it.

I went a 9.27 in pretty bad air in Michigan last month. I think I can get 8's out of the JT come fall, so I don't think I'm going to swap.

I think it would take a 2.60 pulley or so to really get after it, and i'd be worried about slip then, even on a carbonite

FoofKiller

I> /\/\
Established Member
i've looked and thought about the ysi

i'm a little mixed on it right now.

the jt's peak efficiency is 60000 rpms

we spin it with the 2.95@ approximately 62,000 rpms. If you look at dyno graphs, it makes peak power at 7500 where we let off.

with the 2.75 pulley, we are spinning 65k or so, and it starts to take the jt out of it's efficiency range,

it makes about the same hp, however it makes it at closer to 6400, then carries straight out across the band. it doesn't drop off, but doesn't make anymore, torque with the 275 is also up about 50 across the band.

my concern with going to the ysi is that peak efficiency is 65,000 rpms.

for me, to maximize the blower, i think you would want to spin it between 67,000 and 70,000.

Sean K tried the ysi head unit. I don't think it made as much power on the dyno, at least with the 2.95 pulley i think. He tried that head unit in MD and i think he went 9.4's with it.

I went a 9.27 in pretty bad air in Michigan last month. I think I can get 8's out of the JT come fall, so I don't think I'm going to swap.

I think it would take a 2.60 pulley or so to really get after it, and i'd be worried about slip then, even on a carbonite

So which head unit would you reccomend for stock motored cars and what kind of power could be expected?

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
So which head unit would you reccomend for stock motored cars and what kind of power could be expected?

it depends on your goals.

the kits vortech / paxton are identical other than the head unit.

the paxton does have more growing potential due to the size of the head unit.

if your looking for 525-600, the vortech will do you fine

if your thinking of growing further, then the paxton would be the way to go

Users who are viewing this thread