Waldo Canyon Fire

#1stangfreak

'02GT for me!
Established Member
Soooooo...turns out my city is burning to the ground right now. My grandparents just lost their house which they paid off just last year. I've got two friends that lost their house. The Air Force Academy is evacuated. This is just too crazy to soak in.

Just needed to get this out there

WutApex

Wut Apex!?!
Established Member
Yup. Every trail we always hiked is gone. I can't imagine losing everything - I truly wish them the best.

Just went to Costco and donated a big box of food and eye drops.

It's surreal watching the actual flames on the mountain tops coming toward the city.

Some Photos for those of you interested

Last edited:

F1reStart3r

Flubolaids
Established Member
It's just a really bad situation. We've got fires that are significantly larger than yours that we aren't even reporting on right now.

6,200 acres burned with 5% containment. Overall not massive, but the scope of people affected is really getting attention down here. Our thoughts are with you.

Beerdog80

Crazy Oklahoman
Established Member
I had no idea this was going on until 2am this morning when I saw a picture a buddy of mine at the Academy posted on facebook. I about screamed when I started reading on whats going on.

I might be up in the Springs tomorrow depending on what happens today. I've got a lot of good friends that work out of the Academy. Went there from 02-06. Insane to think what could happen there...

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I knew it was bad out there, but those photos really show how devastatingly horrible it really is. I feel so bad for those who have lost, or will lose, their homes and possessions to this fire.

bluebosss197

im did asbestos i can
Established Member
I just left Denver yesterday and had no idea it was this bad. I smelled the smoke most of the weekend and assumed it was the massive New Mexico fires, not the 3600 acres of CO Springs. I hope for a swift ending to these fires.

Riptide

Established Member
Saw some smoke flying out of Denver last Saturday. Hot as hell out they were bumping people off flights due to DA being near 10,000 feet. Drag race your car in that crap lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatwat

#1stangfreak

'02GT for me!
Established Member
The news is sayin' we're at 15,300+ acres now. Like F1reStart3r said, not overly huge but def big enough to do some damage. What are we at now, like 32000 people evacuated?

Beerdog80

Crazy Oklahoman
Established Member
The news is sayin' we're at 15,300+ acres now. Like F1reStart3r said, not overly huge but def big enough to do some damage. What are we at now, like 32000 people evacuated?

Thats insane man. I used to live near the Flying Ranch too. Damn shame. That was one of my favorite areas. Plenty of great trails up that way.

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
Used to live in Colorado springs, so I recognize the areas where this is happening. However, I live on the edge of Ft.Collins and have been dealing with smoke and ash for a few weeks now from the fire up here. Was up to 60% containment, then it jumped and dropped to 45%. Last I heard projections were four months to completely contain.

We have 9 fires burning out in Colorado at this time. I'm expecting it to only get worse through summer.

JBird_Cobra

Established Member
Yeah this summer has been horrible with forrest fires; all throughout the state there are fires that are not close to containment. It's terrible how many people this has affected in such a bad way.

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
I'm curious what insurance agencies hold the policies to the houses in those areas. You know we all will see insurance increases as a result.

Really intended on doing some camping and outdoors stuff this summer since I live so close to the national forest. Looks like I will have to plan on doing it next year at this rate.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
****ing yikes. My sister lives in Aurora and does home claims for Safeco. She's got a list of clients already and they are bringing in people to help.

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
Just crazy. Montana has a bigger fire going on right now at 18,000+ acres near Roundup (3 1/2-4 hours away from where I am) but it's not near quite as many people as the Waldo Canyon one is.

I hope it gets better over there.

19turbo95

Established Member
Just heard this morning around 300 houses burnt down. Going to be another high 90 degree day and winds were reported around 50mph yesterday.

Users who are viewing this thread