>> Want different tailpipes...

Z20WHAT

Established Member
I have the MAC catback and I am having the tailpipes replaced after a minor rear-end mishap. I never liked the MAC ones to begin with, and I know there are some stainless, roll-tipped ones out there and wonder 1) which ones are the best IYO, and 2) can I use them with the MAC catback?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
The tips on most catbacks that are popular (Bassani, Magnaflow, Borla, Steeda, Stinger) are welded to the pipe. You're probably better off buying aftermarket tips and having them welded onto your pipes. No?

Last edited:

Z20WHAT

Established Member
Originally posted by CobraBob
The tips on most catbacks that are popular (Bassani, Magnaflow, Borla, Steeda, Stinger) are welding to the pipe. You're probably better off buying aftermarket tips and having them welded onto your pipes. No?

Well they're usually two pieces. There are the initial pieces that are welded on that come right off the mufflers, then the tailpipes?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by Z20WHAT
Well they're usually two pieces. There are the initial pieces that are welded on that come right off the mufflers, then the tailpipes?
Yeh, I know. I meant the tailpipe would have to be cut and new tips welded on to replace them. :)

Z20WHAT

Established Member
Yeh, I know. I meant the tailpipe would have to be cut and new tips welded on to replace them. :)

So I can't just get new tailpipes and unbolt the existing ones and bolt the new ones in place?

norcal_cobra

Brand-X Eater
Established Member
I'm in agreement with CobraBob on this one...
You chould be able to get some nice chrome tips from amuffler shop and have them weld them on pretty cheap. Just be careful that the tips are long enough that that is all you see from the side, otherwise it'll look ugly.
-norcal_cobra

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
So I can't just get new tailpipes and unbolt the existing ones and bolt the new ones in place?
I suppose you could do that but you'll have to find a set for the IRS. There are fewer systems available for the Cobra than the non-IRS Mustangs. It would seem to be a lot easier just to weld in new tips.

Z20WHAT

Established Member
I think I may be confusing you here.

For instance, the MAC tips for the Cobra suck.

I like Magnaflow and Bassani tips, because they're rolled and full stainless steel.

I want to know if I could just buy the Magnaflow or Bassani tips (NOT THE ENTIRE CATBACK) and hook them to my MAC mufflers.

If this is what you guys understand, then I'm having a hard time seeing why you would suggest welding new chrome tips on, and also why you would say it's hard to find tips for the IRS, seeing as how there are at lesat half a dozen makers for our cars in particular. Magnaflow, Bassani, MAC, Spintech, Borla, FRPP, Flowmaster, Dynomax, etc.

First off, I HAVE to replace them becuase they're bent and smashed. Second, how would buying chrome tips and having someone weld them on going to be cheaper than just buying said aftermarket tips and bolting them to my existing catback?

hoofbeat

Established Member
:beer: Go to a quality muffler shop , they should be able to take care of you. Just had a cat back put on my new F 150 with 3 and 1/2 in rolled stainless tips welded on to the pipes.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I think I may be confusing you here.

For instance, the MAC tips for the Cobra suck.

I like Magnaflow and Bassani tips, because they're rolled and full stainless steel.

I want to know if I could just buy the Magnaflow or Bassani tips (NOT THE ENTIRE CATBACK) and hook them to my MAC mufflers.

If this is what you guys understand, then I'm having a hard time seeing why you would suggest welding new chrome tips on, and also why you would say it's hard to find tips for the IRS, seeing as how there are at lesat half a dozen makers for our cars in particular. Magnaflow, Bassani, MAC, Spintech, Borla, FRPP, Flowmaster, Dynomax, etc.

First off, I HAVE to replace them becuase they're bent and smashed. Second, how would buying chrome tips and having someone weld them on going to be cheaper than just buying said aftermarket tips and bolting them to my existing catback?
Let's start from scratch. You're saying that you want to bolt an aftermarket tip to your existing cat-back, and then you also say you want to just "hook them to" your MAC muffler. You need to state first clearly what you have and what you intend to do. Are you wanting to attach a tip to your muffler (which wouldn't make sense unless its a turndown tip with no tailpipe) or do you want to replace the tip portion of your tailpipe? A Bassani, Borla, or Magnaflow catback does NOT have removeable tips. So are the tips of your MAC system removeable? If not, you have to cut them off like you would on a Bassani, Borla or Maggie catback. If they are removeable, then, YES, you can buy a Magnaflow SS tip (they are 2 1/2" diameter) and WELD it on. I say "weld" because these tips are meant to be welded on, not bolted on like the cheap tips you'll find at a discount shop. The vast majority of aftermarket stainless steel high quality tips need to be welded. Here's a picture of a Magnaflow rolled edge stainless steel tip. Notice that it is NOT a bolt on type. It has to be welded on. Hope this helps.
MaggieTip.jpg

Last edited:

Z20WHAT

Established Member
Okay look: when I say tips, I mean the entire end piece of the catback (TAILPIPES).

I already said that I have a MAC catback system.

Here is the link:

http://www.rpmoutlet.com/03cobramac.htm

The tailpipe piece is bolted on.

I have to get new ones. I don't like the MAC ones anyway, so I want to know if I can get another brand's tailpipe piece because I've never seen or worked with their systems. I've only see the tips that stick out and they're full stainless and rolled.

I guess I'll just do a search for them, I didn't think it was that difficult to understand and could get a simple YES or NO answer. =/

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Okay look: when I say tips, I mean the entire end piece of the catback (TAILPIPES).

I already said that I have a MAC catback system.

Here is the link:

http://www.rpmoutlet.com/03cobramac.htm

The tailpipe piece is bolted on.

I have to get new ones. I don't like the MAC ones anyway, so I want to know if I can get another brand's tailpipe piece because I've never seen or worked with their systems. I've only see the tips that stick out and they're full stainless and rolled.

I guess I'll just do a search for them, I didn't think it was that difficult to understand and could get a simple YES or NO answer. =/
Sorry, but your posts have been confusing, and we HAVE been trying to help. If you had clearly stated what you wanted to do you could have gotten a clear answer from the get-go. And a "thank you" for our trying to help sure would have been nice.

At this point now that I understand what you want I suggest you call Magnaflow or Bassani and see if they will sell their tailpipe only. Don't be surprised if the answer is 'no'. I believe they only sell complete systems. They don't have part numbers on-line for what you're looking for. Good luck.

Z20WHAT

Established Member
Sorry, but your posts have been confusing, and we HAVE been trying to help. If you had clearly stated what you wanted to do you could have gotten a clear answer from the get-go. And a "thank you" for our trying to help sure would have been nice.

At this point now that I understand what you want I suggest you call Magnaflow or Bassani and see if they will sell their tailpipe only. Don't be surprised if the answer is 'no'. I believe they only sell complete systems. They don't have part numbers on-line for what you're looking for. Good luck.

I was just getting confused as to how anyone could possibly confuse my original post(s)? It just wasn't confusing at all IMO. Thank you anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread