Want to buy a terminator, need warranty

angelofrat42

Established Member
Ok so long story short i have around 23k CASH to spend on a car. I would love to get into a terminator but i need to have a warranty on whatever i get! is there anyway to get a one that isnt just with one of those terrible 3rd party company that doesnt cover anything useful? i appreciate all advice. If i can't get one with a warranty im going to have to go with a new 5.0 but they'll be harder to come by with my budget. Thanks!

mikeyfitz

Established Member
Why would you want a car with a warranty when in the end youre going to void the warranty anyways??

It'll be extremely hard to find a warranty that wont exempt practically everything for a 10 year old car.

mike.b

Established Member
Why do you need a warranty?

Worried the alternator is gonna go out? Buy one and install it yourself <$200
Worried the starter is gonna take a crap? Buy one and install it yourself <$200
Worried the clutch is gonna need replaced? Not covered under warranty. Buy one and replace it yourself.

I just don't see the point in a warranty on a car like this. Find a terminator you like, go inspect it (if you're not qualified, have someone that is) and make a deal. I'd recommend a compression test as well just to make sure that its healthy.

angelofrat42

Established Member
i hate to say that this is the reason why, but my dad is insanely paranoid about something going wrong with the car and then i would have to pay cash for the repairs and for a rental car to get to work and such. Plus he hates the idea of going out of state to get a car

xxjaymanzxx

Established Member
It's your money get what you want who cares what your dad says unless it's his money

testorossa1989

Established Member
i hate to say that this is the reason why, but my dad is insanely paranoid about something going wrong with the car and then i would have to pay cash for the repairs and for a rental car to get to work and such. Plus he hates the idea of going out of state to get a car

I went out of state for my car. In a similar situation i learned how to work on cars. SVTP is here to help, also download something called workshop manual. Its pretty much the cheat sheet of cheat sheets for weekend warriors.

If your concern is buying a car you wont need to turn a wrench on ever, you maybe better off getting a 5.0 new. Just due in part that the cars are 10 years old and even the best of the best will need some preventative maintence once in awhile

If its a real concern of yours contact ford. I know BMW sells extended warrenty packages, im not sure as for the make/model/year and whats eligable and whats not

Last edited:

jrichber

browser
Established Member
If you dont want to work on a car dont get something 10 years old. I got mine with 32K miles and havent had to work on anything but cant say that would happen for every car. Especially if your car is a DD which mine is not.

LS1toSVT

Established Member
If he plans on keeping it bone stock why not get a warranty? If thats your plan go for it. The hard part will be finding a company that will warranty a 10yr old car, but I'm sure they're out there.

Cobra03SC

Established Member
I bought mine modded from a ford dealership with a 2 year warranty in 09. Now it wasnt heavily modded, but it did have a pulley, exhaust and intake. I bought it out of state, and was concerned with being able to get my warranty honored by my local dealer... The dealer i bought it from made note that the car had the certain mods that were on the car when i bought it, and my local dealer honored the warranty. 2 times on my irs seal leaking, rebuilt my trans, and replaced alt 2 times all costing me a $50 deductible. Now granted i did pay around 1700 extra for the warranty they did honor it. If i had to do it again i would not have bought it, and never will on another car only because i prefer to work on my own stuff and learn myself... theres too much info online these days to not at least learn about your own car and do things right yourself.

mysticvenom623

Established Member
If he plans on keeping it bone stock why not get a warranty? If thats your plan go for it. The hard part will be finding a company that will warranty a 10yr old car, but I'm sure they're out there.

I somewhat agree if he plans on keeping it stock. My bank Penfed.com offers a variety of warranties including only powertrain for my car. I didn't get it but I think it was like 750 for 3 years which covered everything minus the wear and tear stuff. Just make sure you don't get a high deductible. I had the warranty on another car and used it without issue. Good luck on whatever you decide to do.

Tunedprt91

Established Member
If they have any in stock try carmax. You can buy their in house warranty which is like 5 year almost bumper to bumper. I picked up my z06 from them and purchased the warranty for $3k. You can take the car to them for repairs or to any shop of your choice just pay the $70 deductible. I only have a cai on my car but ive had some electrical things replaced, my heads up display replaced, and a brand new trans put in under warranty which has paid for itself as you can see. Also all this has been done at my chevy dealer since I trust them more than carmax lol. Just look into it!

stangfreak

Established Member
If you find a stock one and your not going to mod it, I guess it makes sense. But its already a 10 year old car. I would just get a new 5.0 and get the warranty if that is your concern.

My warranty was voided the second week I owned my cobra back in july of 2003. I even had parts sitting in my room before I owend the car.

Quick Strike

Established Member
My warranty was voided the second week I owned my cobra back in july of 2003. I even had parts sitting in my room before I owend the car.

At least I waited s few months. My SVT tech looked the other way on mods. When it came time to rebuild the motor, he said bring it back stock and we will get you a longblock. I decided to rebuild it myself stronger instead. I had the 6 year 60K warranty. It paid for a complete AC system, an alternator, a quarter window, transmission issues, a halfshaft, towing and rental cars. It was well worth it, and the Cobra was my sunny day daily driver at that point. In the OPs case, a newer car with the warranty would cause less disruption if the car had problems.

MADDOGsrfr81

Established Member
On my 2000 gt I bought a warentee from GE. 800 bucks and it ended up well worth it. I dropped my clutch at the track and the plastic intake also cracked. While it was fixed I also had headers and some other stuff installed :).

I bought my cobra last October and got a 2 year ford premium warrantee that covers everything. I have not used it yet, but it helped my piece of mind when I traded in my brand new jeep for a 04 cobra. Even though she had less miles than my jeep at the time. I'd see if you can get a ford one if you have to have one.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread