Wan't to hear her whine

hurikane85

Established Member
I sold my 03' cobra almost three years ago now, and have been thinking of a new 5.0 and slapping either a whipple,kenne belle or magnuson on it. The only thing it seems missing is the that whine I loved about my 03 cobra. In watching all the videos of the new 5.0 with chargers they seem mute. I understand the boost levels on the 5.0 are much much lower. Which maybe why the wine isn't as pronounced. What im asking is what out of the three chargers have a similar wine like the eaton on the termi's?

dynasty_365

Established Member
the kennebell definately does. u dnt find most people with them on there 5.0s because of the whipples and tvs roush r so popular on these. plus the kennebell that they offer put out so much horsepower idk how long u could run it safely on a stock block. i dnt think they offer anything under 650 but u know it whines

hurikane85

Established Member
yeah, I don't think I would want anymore then a 520-550 range. One bang of the rev limiter with above 600 probably wouldn't be good.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Some come with transmissions that sound like there's a blower attached to the car. Mine sure does!

Although that doesn't really answer your question. The KB would be a good choice here, but it is designed more for a built engine application.

dynasty_365

Established Member
ive really only seen one 5.0 on youtube with a kennebell. evolution performance sales them too. u may b able to contact them and see if they can do a safe tune that does under 600 on a kennebell but with the horsepower range you r looking for u may want to go with the frpp whipple supercharger that puts 525 hp and is warrantied by ford. u could always do a pulley swap if u wanted more power

hurikane85

Established Member
yeah for sure, i just want to find a incar video of either charger...doesn't seem like a whole lot of the new 5.0s have chargers yet..or just havn't posted many videos

djclark

Established Member
I understand what you're saying. My last car had a blower and I loved the whine. From my research the kenne belles are quiet as hell. The whipples on the other hand :

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xSCLpB5EME&NR=1"]2011 Mustang GT AUTO - Whipple 2.9L - Tuned by TORQ - YouTube[/nomedia]

This vid alone has be sold on the whipple. Love that whine.

hurikane85

Established Member
yeah i think that video just sold me too...I wonder if hes running stock internals at 11lbs.....thats kinda pushing it ins't it?

JDV

Rsrved 4 sumthin clever
Established Member
Blower whine depends on alot of things. Throw a jlt inlet and open filter and any blower will get louder. Higher boost helps too.

djclark

Established Member
I'd bet you could drop that boost number down with some headers. on my last blown car, the headers were good for about a 2psi drop. assuming knock wasn't rearing its head, you could then choose more timing or boost. Or you can stay at the same pulley size and stay safely at 9psi.

thats how I see it. I'll be doing headers, intake and then a blower down the road.

yeah i think that video just sold me too...I wonder if hes running stock internals at 11lbs.....thats kinda pushing it ins't it?

mastwolf

4800fps = Mach1 in h2o
Established Member
I'd bet you could drop that boost number down with some headers. on my last blown car, the headers were good for about a 2psi drop. assuming knock wasn't rearing its head, you could then choose more timing or boost. Or you can stay at the same pulley size and stay safely at 9psi.

thats how I see it. I'll be doing headers, intake and then a blower down the road.

Dropping the boost down by making the engine more free flowing will not make it safer, it will still make ALOT of power for the stock motor. About the only benefit to that I guess would be slightly lower cylinder pressure making the rings live longer?

djclark

Established Member
Yes. It's a given that you'll be making a ton of power on a header'd 9psi machine. The original question had to do with not wanting to run 11psi on a stock block daily. It's a valid concern on a high compression engine like the 5.0L. I think you're better off running lower boost ( 7-9psi ) and close to stock timing ( if possible ) vs high boost and lower timing. After all, more power is a tune ( lower timing ) and smaller pulley ( increase boost ) away. In my experience, boost vs timing is a balancing act. The former is the exact recipe I've used on my last car. Car lasted 100k w/ no engine/trans issues and plenty of shenanigans.

Dropping the boost down by making the engine more free flowing will not make it safer, it will still make ALOT of power for the stock motor. About the only benefit to that I guess would be slightly lower cylinder pressure making the rings live longer?

2013Boss302

Established Member
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rOFUqYepFg"]2011 Mustang RTR dyno pull - YouTube[/nomedia]

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXyoroABQM4&feature=related"]2011 Mustang RTR dyno pull 2 - YouTube[/nomedia]

you can not hear my blower. i was told once a cold air intake goes on it it will open it up. the Magna Charger is 50 state legal so it uses stock airbox. i dont mind not hearing it but i would liek to hear it. either way im happy with it. My exhaust is what i love to hear

S197 GT

Established Member
Look no further than the Whipple 2.9L.

I also have a JLT Carbon Fiber Big Air Intake with the Ford Racing 65mm throttle body.

I'm running 10 psi with the 3.75" pulley.

[YouTube_browser]BQyZ3kSYj1U[/YouTube_browser]

Users who are viewing this thread