WAP Block Differences Between the Years??

ti-force

Established Member
Are there any differences between years 05 through 10 WAP blocks that came in 3v GT cars? Asking because I keep reading on here that these blocks are good to 1000k plus hp, however, in Sean Hylands book he suggests not making more than 600 hp with these blocks (up to 05, I think he said). Curious if there's a difference, and why he would say that, if everyone is having good experiences with these blocks over 600 hp.

Thanks

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
This information has been on the web for many years: Castings

The "Nemak" block did have three revisions, but as I was told from friend at Ford, they are all as good as the other. All three blocks have a casting number ending in CA, CB, or CC with the second letter signifying only a minor update. Mine is a "CB" - no issues: Aluminator Gibtec Build

01yellercobra

Established Member
No personal experience, but supposedly they were the strongest of the aluminum blocks. On the S197 forum I was on there were quite a few cars making north of 600hp on stock blocks. With upgraded internals of course. I don't think Sean Hyland is looked at as much of an expert in recent times.

I don't know of any 4.6 blocks that can't handle more than 600. I think even the "weaker" blocks in the Lincolns could handle 600 with ease.

ti-force

Established Member
This information has been on the web for many years: Castings

The "Nemak" block did have three revisions, but as I was told from friend at Ford, they are all as good as the other. All three blocks have a casting number ending in CA, CB, or CC with the second letter signifying only a minor update. Mine is a "CB" - no issues: Aluminator Gibtec Build

Nice! Thanks for the link to the bible of the castings. I would have never found that.. Here's why I'm inquiring. I have a Teksid block and I want to put my Terminator heads, internals, etc. to shave some weight. However, reading about all the small things that have to be done to make a Teksid compatible with the Terminator timing cover, intercooler, windage tray, etc., it seems almost not worth it.

If I pick up a Nemak block, is there any change there would be less modification needed for the block to work with my application? I.E., no drilling for timing chain cover, trying to source obsolete windage trays that will work, etc.? Or would it be about the same as he Teksid? No problem with cutting down knock sensor bosses if needed, I just want a more bolt on and go that doesn't involve having to source odd or rare parts to make it work. Maybe it's a pipe dream!

No personal experience, but supposedly they were the strongest of the aluminum blocks. On the S197 forum I was on there were quite a few cars making north of 600hp on stock blocks. With upgraded internals of course. I don't think Sean Hyland is looked at as much of an expert in recent times.

I don't know of any 4.6 blocks that can't handle more than 600. I think even the "weaker" blocks in the Lincolns could handle 600 with ease.

Thanks for your post. I appreciate it.

ti-force

Established Member
Nice! Thanks for the link to the bible of the castings. I would have never found that.. Here's why I'm inquiring. I have a Teksid block and I want to put my Terminator heads, internals, etc. to shave some weight. However, reading about all the small things that have to be done to make a Teksid compatible with the Terminator timing cover, intercooler, windage tray, etc., it seems almost not worth it.

If I pick up a Nemak block, is there any change there would be less modification needed for the block to work with my application? I.E., no drilling for timing chain cover, trying to source obsolete windage trays that will work, etc.? Or would it be about the same as he Teksid? No problem with cutting down knock sensor bosses if needed, I just want a more bolt on and go that doesn't involve having to source odd or rare parts to make it work. Maybe it's a pipe dream!

I actually just noticed your link to the Terminator build thread using a Nemak block. Hopefully I can gather answers to my questions in that thread. I do see you used an aftermarket oil pan. I'll read some more, but curious if the windage tray you used might work with the stock oil pan?

Users who are viewing this thread