Warning to ontrack Cobra guys

Force4.6

Twice Bitten
Established Member
A friend on mine with another Terminator had an incident with the rear seats. Looks like the after market pipes transferred heat through the bolt under the rear seat. Good thing we were all sitting around after a session when we saw the smoke.

DSC02705.jpg

DSC02703.jpg

DSC02704.jpg

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
I've seen a few Mustangs do this at the track. If I remember correctly, the last one I saw was a Fox body?

Insufficient exhaust clearance is the main culprit. Them exhaust systems get to be some hot sum bishes on track! :read:

TroyV

Brakes only slow you down
Established Member
Wow. I've never heard of this. I had been, for other reasons, considering a rear seat delete myself, and this clinches it. Thanks so much for posting. :)

Force4.6

Twice Bitten
Established Member
haha, yeah the second we put the fire out, myself and another cobra guy took our back seats out just in case.

chrish900

TT Crazy
Established Member
Seat deleted involuntarily

Yeah, we are still trying to figure out what happened. The car was on-track (Summit and VIR) two previous weekends and had almost 3000 miles drive time since the catbacks were installed. The clearance appears to be within the OEM specs. Without the seat, I measured 220 F on each of the seat belt bolts after a subsequent run at Summit; hardly worth starting a fire over. I will have a shield material (the same stuff they use on police cruisers) installed to prevent this in the future. In the meantime, I will remove my back seat whenever I hit the track. Oh, by the way, does anyone in the No. Virginia want to sell a back seat? I have about a year or two before I get the roll cage and I still need to cart the kids around. :)

'03 Sonic Blue

"So blue you can hear it"
Established Member
The factory mufflers have heat shields strapped to them. The aftermarket exhaust does not. I removed the heat shields from my OEM exhaust and installed them on my aftermarket muffllers but not before I experienced similar (but not so severe) toasting of the rear seat.

--Mike

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
[QUOTE='03 Sonic Blue]The factory mufflers have heat shields strapped to them. The aftermarket exhaust does not. I removed the heat shields from my OEM exhaust and installed them on my aftermarket muffllers but not before I experienced similar (but not so severe) toasting of the rear seat.

--Mike[/QUOTE]

Gives a whole new meaning to the term "heated seats"!!!! :eek:

wheelhopper

Established Member
^I still have the rear seat. But, my friend used that kit and it looks very clean and he is happy w/ it. He is a pretty particular guy also, so I doubt too many people would have a problem w/ it.

PETSNKE

Established Member
tim87tr said:
Have you installed this and if so how was the fit?

Fit was great, but I modified the seat bases to mount with one screw each since I wanted more than velcro holding them in place when I OT. I bring a EZ-Up shelter with me often, which requires removal of the kit. It takes only 5 minutes to remove it with only 4 screws holding the whole thing in.

Users who are viewing this thread