Warning to out of state buyers

Status
Not open for further replies.

ibleedblue65

Established Member
I love SVTperformance.....i have loved it for yrs, most time i just creep, esp the for sale terminator section.

One day i decided, screw it. Im going to finally buy one. My dream cobra.

Black 4xxxx mi
2.8l kb lc
Injectors, rxt. Etc

Well my fiance and i bought it from a forum member who goes by Pweave

We flew to Colorado from Louisiana and drove her back

When we got there she rattled to all hell. He said it was supposed to do that, and i trusted him so i handed over the cashier check.

I know, but i have had sports cars before that performance clutches just operate that way. But maybe not this loud.

He says he is leaving the license plate on so i can drive it home. I think wow what a swell guy.

I take my woman to eat, and get a ticket for no front license plate, which i have no clue about bc im from LA. Just thought i was ok bc Pweave said so

When i get back the tob is what is rattling and the sleave and flywheel are also destroyed, a month later the alternator went out, found out later even one of the axels was bent.

Needless to say. She has new everything and lvl 5 axels on my den floor.

When i tried to register the car, the dmv required pweave's license, but he refused to give it. The dmv just wanted to prove that he wAs from CO They wouldnt register the Veh wo it.

The seller refused bc i was not willing to pay for the ticket after payibg so much to fix the car as well as paying top dollar in he first place.

I had to get attorneys involved just to get an affidavit from him so i could register the car

My fiancee facebooked his gf today to appeal to her and she said its my fault for not studying up on the law. She also said that i belitted her husband, she must be refering to me expressing the displeasure of putting thousands into a veh that was sold supposedly in proper working condition

She also said CO does not require the seller to share thier license with the buyer.

So two warnings.

1. When you buy out of state, make sure that you get EVERYTHING that YOU need to register in your home state.

2. Do not trust anyone, do 120% due dilligence first, bring that baby to the best shop you can before you buy it
Our cars are getting old and half of the parts arent original anyway.

Much love to everyone

Happy hunting

I hope you find your dream car

I did, it just wound up being a bit more of a hassle than it should have been, and costing more.

Ps i guess i should have know he was dbag, at one point he had double dodge stripes on the fenders.

You should have paid the ticket. You were in the vehicle when it was issues, it was your responsibility to know the law.

As far as the alternator and axle. You bought a 13+ year old modified car and i doubt the seller had used his crystal ball to know the alternator was about to fail.

Tob issues are common with that gen mustang. Maybe the seller knew it was an issue maybe he didn't. Who knows. Really doesn't sound like you got screwed imo.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
Fake ID and fake address to go with it. The check was so authentic the bank even took it. It wasn't until they sent it off for payment that it came back counterfeit. Years later they were caught though.

i wouldnt even hand the keys over with a cashiers check. not unless i can cash it at the issuing bank. my cousin sold his car to someone from CL with a cashiers check. his own bank said it was good to go as well. 3 days later, oops, its a fake. the buyer had resold the car already to some poor lady who paid cash. when she went to register it at the dmv about two weeks later, it came up stolen. she lost out on her $10k and my cousin got the car back. they never caught the middleman/scammers. that's another lesson. she bought the car from the scammers who held the valid pink slip. she made a legit purchase. but in the eyes of the law, the stolen property goes back to the person it was stolen from. its on the end user/loser to recover from the person they got it from. with a heft dose of "good luck with that". and she was a single mom who saved up her cash to buy a car (didnt have one). totally sucks.

when i sold my terminator, for actual cash, i drove the buyer to my banks local branch and explained to the cashier that i was selling my car and i would like her to verify all the cash for me. buyer was totally cool with it as was the bank. my buyer was not only from out of state but out of the country. ive been burned by REALLY good counterfeit cash before. spoke with an SS agent about it. big ring out of mexico that ended up being busted shortly after.

as far as the OP getting a front plate ticket. thats lame. you would think if you have proof you just bought the car and are driving it home the cop would give you a pass considering the circumstances. if you werent speeding or anything and that was the only reason he pulled you over.

and as far as the seller having to deal with said ticket. he should be able to show the dmv that the car was already sold (bill of sale) and pink slip stub which should clear him of responsibility for the ticket.

ive bought two cars from forum members, both out of state and FAR away. (one i knew already) i went through their entire post history to get a feel for the kind of person they are. still a risk but worked out ok.

Lundy37

lundy
Established Member
The lisence swap thing is a new one for me. I've bought cars out of state... sign over the title and register the vehicle no prob.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
You should have paid the ticket. You were in the vehicle when it was issues, it was your responsibility to know the law.

As far as the alternator and axle. You bought a 13+ year old modified car and i doubt the seller had used his crystal ball to know the alternator was about to fail.

Tob issues are common with that gen mustang. Maybe the seller knew it was an issue maybe he didn't. Who knows. Really doesn't sound like you got screwed imo.

agreed.
one car i bought out of state was highly modified. on the drive home, a few days later, the clutch failed and i ended up having it sent home via shipper. i didnt blame the seller. older, highly modified car (even stock), parts can fail out of the blue. if it was engine knock that was covered up with gear oil that would be a different story. ive also sold two modified vehicles that ended up having problems shortly after (nothing major). neither of which i was aware of. the buyers both brought it to my attention but agreed that it wasnt my responsibility as with modified cars shit some times happens. nothing was intentionally covered up to make a sale. thats also why many people look for "unmolested" cars. but even bone stock cars can have issues. especially when 10 years old. its also why some people pay much more to buy it from a reputable dealer and possibility with a warranty. they dont want to take the risk.
and why some people only buy new. obviously you cant buy a new terminator but they'll go get a new 5.0 with a warranty and start from scratch.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
as far as the OP getting a front plate ticket. thats lame. you would think if you have proof you just bought the car and are driving it home the cop would give you a pass considering the circumstances. if you werent speeding or anything and that was the only reason he pulled you over.

But if he just bought it, and the tags were registered to the previous owner, he would be driving on a false plate...which is quite a bit bigger issue than no front plate.

Should've gone to the DMV and gotten a transportation tag.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
But if he just bought it, and the tags were registered to the previous owner, he would be driving on a false plate...which is quite a bit bigger issue than no front plate.

Should've gone to the DMV and gotten a transportation tag.

true but ive bought and sold cars, as have many others, and ive never personally known anyone to actually go through all that. if you have the proper paperwork on hand, it shouldnt be an issue. cops are people too and im sure the majority of them do the same thing. being a dealer selling a car to person is different and you have to play by the rules but private party to private party is more lax. dont drive like an ahole and dont give the cop an attitude if youre pulled over and you'll be fine.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
true but ive bought and sold cars, as have many others, and ive never personally known anyone to actually go through all that. if you have the proper paperwork on hand, it shouldnt be an issue. cops are people too and im sure the majority of them do the same thing. being a dealer selling a car to person is different and you have to play by the rules but private party to private party is more lax. dont drive like an ahole and dont give the cop an attitude if youre pulled over and you'll be fine.

I agree with you. I guess I don't know what the hassle would be though, I've done it several times.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
i wouldnt even hand the keys over with a cashiers check. not unless i can cash it at the issuing bank. my cousin sold his car to someone from CL with a cashiers check. his own bank said it was good to go as well. 3 days later, oops, its a fake. the buyer had resold the car already to some poor lady who paid cash. when she went to register it at the dmv about two weeks later, it came up stolen. she lost out on her $10k and my cousin got the car back. they never caught the middleman/scammers. that's another lesson. she bought the car from the scammers who held the valid pink slip. she made a legit purchase. but in the eyes of the law, the stolen property goes back to the person it was stolen from. its on the end user/loser to recover from the person they got it from. with a heft dose of "good luck with that". and she was a single mom who saved up her cash to buy a car (didnt have one). totally sucks.

when i sold my terminator, for actual cash, i drove the buyer to my banks local branch and explained to the cashier that i was selling my car and i would like her to verify all the cash for me. buyer was totally cool with it as was the bank. my buyer was not only from out of state but out of the country. ive been burned by REALLY good counterfeit cash before. spoke with an SS agent about it. big ring out of mexico that ended up being busted shortly after.

and as far as the seller having to deal with said ticket. he should be able to show the dmv that the car was already sold (bill of sale) and pink slip stub which should clear him of responsibility for the ticket.

ive bought two cars from forum members, both out of state and FAR away. (one i knew already) i went through their entire post history to get a feel for the kind of person they are. still a risk but worked out ok.

In my case it was my first Hayabusa that was bought with a counterfeit BoA cashier's check. I didn't know until my account showed negative the next week. Called the bank and they said it came back fake. THANKFULLY I still had full coverage insurance on it and was able to file theft by deception and got my money out of it. Years later I got a call from an HPD detective that said they found the bike in a sting set up on a theft ring. Since the insurance company owned it at that point I didn't have anything to do with it but I'm glad they caught the bastards eventually.

I got lucky with my lesson.

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
Brad came out firing on all cylinders lol

OP, your situation just sucks.

Can't really be mad about the alternator, shit happens, you didn't buy a warranty with it. The bent shaft was probably unknown by the seller as well.

How long had he had it before you? He may have the thought the rattles were normal as well.

Also, I'm not sure why your DMV required you to have a copy of his driver's license to register the vehicle; that shouldn't have anything to do with the registration in a new state. As a seller, I might be hesitant about giving that out as well.

Chalk up the losses (which it sounds like you have) and enjoy the car!

I've bought and sold a lot of vehicles in CO and not once have I ever needed the sellers license. I wouldn't be very keen on giving mine either.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
the seller was an idiot, but this entire situation is your fault for not doing your homework. I have bought two cars sight unseen outside of a couple of pics, but I made damn sure i knew the requirements to move them from one state to another and get them registered. You as an apparent mulitbusiness owner, all that experience and by the looks of things this is the first time you ever bought a car .. the smell of tuna is strong in this thread

Because not being able to register the car and drive it legally in my home state

And if the real problem that you see here are my abbreviations, well......that is laughable

KilledbyKenne

Established Member
Buncha Nazi cops in Colorado to pull you over for no front plate and issue a ticket. Front plates are required in Utah as well, but it is a secondary offense. They can't pull you over just for that. I don't run a front plate on any of my vehicles. Never been hassled for it.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Whats lame is you saying it didnt exist, essentially that i was a bad guy, and now you found it.

I understand your job is to ensure the PR side of svtperformance

I get it

Scandal is bad

But its all about perspective i didnt write a scandal article but you made it into one by acting like it didnt occur here

I meant my thread to be educational

A lesson learnin experience

Truth is though that kids should know so they dont duplicate my mistake

And yes i agree i was a dumbass for making it

But if you take your wife 1000+ miles to buy a car and then you dont.....there will be some sort of reprocussion. LOL
I can see dishing out $5K without worry for some used honda bought sight unseen but $25K? I'd be going over every inch of it with a magnifying glass.

Pribilof

Life's Better @ Elevation
Established Member
Buncha Nazi cops in Colorado to pull you over for no front plate and issue a ticket. Front plates are required in Utah as well, but it is a secondary offense. They can't pull you over just for that. I don't run a front plate on any of my vehicles. Never been hassled for it.

I've never been pulled over for lack of front plate in CO. Only tickets for that I've ever heard of have been from parking enforcement. Those bastards will write you a ticket for anything.

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
In 16 years, I have been stopped once for no front plate. Average about 35k miles a year, so they're not that bad.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
So a sight unseen bought car had issues come up after you drove it home? You weren't aware of the front plate law in La until you got the ticket?

Louisiana has no front license plate. They only give you the one when you register the vehicle.

Also, I'm not sure why your DMV required you to have a copy of his driver's license to register the vehicle; that shouldn't have anything to do with the registration in a new state. As a seller, I might be hesitant about giving that out as well.

Chalk up the losses (which it sounds like you have) and enjoy the car!

Louisiana requires the license, or the seller be there in person.

The lisence swap thing is a new one for me. I've bought cars out of state... sign over the title and register the vehicle no prob.

See above. I've bought a few cars out of state, and the DMV wouldn't do the paperwork without a drivers license of the seller or that person there.

I've bought and sold a lot of vehicles in CO and not once have I ever needed the sellers license. I wouldn't be very keen on giving mine either.

Then don't sell to someone from Louisiana.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Louisiana requires the license, or the seller be there in person.

That is very odd.

I wonder if that has anything to do with the title washing that is frequently done in Louisiana.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
That is very odd.

I wonder if that has anything to do with the title washing that is frequently done in Louisiana.

It's a real PITA. I found this out a few years ago when I had bought the 93L out of Texas. Seller was cool and gave me no problems.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
Guess it just comes down to whether or not the seller knew about the axle issue. Alternator in that old of a car isn't a surprising part to fail 13~ or so years after the car has been built/running. Not like a rod made a big window in your block 3 miles down the road.
and the ticket you should of just paid to get the License/process moving in your own state.

Luckily, I had a positive transaction with a SVTP member on here on a GT500 in Virginia. Straight up cool dude, and the car you could of eaten food off the floorboard it was that clean. Although I must admit it was a tad nerve wrecking driving the entire state back down south to FL due to only having 1 plate on the car. Held my breath each time I saw a trooper in VA lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread