Was bound to happen

f8lmach

Occasional SVT Poster
Established Member
Hey guys I'm sure this has been answered many times, however search has owned me once again:loser:. So here goes, my clutch is slipping horribly can barely drive it (she's officially off driving duty until I drive it to the shop to change the clutch out). Question is, would the SPEC stage one Clutch be fine for my car? And what is the difference between the 10 spline and the 26 spline? Here's a link to what I was looking at: Spec 99-04 Cobra/Mach-1 Clutch Kit (Stage 1) 26 Spline [SF871T] : Lethal Performance, Performance parts for Ford Mustangs would just like some opinions and answers lol

thanks in advance :beer:

Epikmach

Established Member
The spec stage 1 should work fine, but I have no personal experience with their products. I have centerforce dual friction in my Mach & my notch, & they work great. Nice pedal feel, & they grip nicely. My buddy even has 1 in his 450rwhp 03 Cobra, & it works great in that car as well. You need the 10 spline version of whatever clutch you get, because the 26 spline version is for an upgraded 26 spline input shaft.

The worst thing about your situation is, the trans cannot be removed with the Mac LT's in place. Been there, done that...

Good luck.:beer:

Last edited:

gamatt

Whine Connoisseur
Established Member
The spec stage 1 should wor fine, but I have no personal experience with their products. I have centerforce dual friction in my Mach & my notch, & they work great. Nice pedal feel, & they grip nicely. You need the 10 spline version of whatever clutch you get, because the 26 spline version is for an upgraded 26 spline input shaft.

The worst thing about your situation is, the trans cannot be removed with the Mac LT's in place...

+1 on the Centerforce, I had a lower model, the Centerforce I on my 5.0. Smoothest, easiest clutch effort I've driven in a Mustang and according to their tech line it can do low 400's in HP.

CiriloDOHC

Established Member
The worst thing about your situation is, the trans cannot be removed with the Mac LT's in place. Been there, done that...

What about SLP Longtubes?? I have SLP's on my mach and im having slipping problems with my mach.. and gonna change my clutch to a spec3.. Would i need to take off the headers for this install?:idea:

f8lmach

Occasional SVT Poster
Established Member
The spec stage 1 should work fine, but I have no personal experience with their products. I have centerforce dual friction in my Mach & my notch, & they work great. Nice pedal feel, & they grip nicely. My buddy even has 1 in his 450rwhp 03 Cobra, & it works great in that car as well. You need the 10 spline version of whatever clutch you get, because the 26 spline version is for an upgraded 26 spline input shaft.

Thank you really appriciate it :beer:

oh will I need to drop the LTs or can I loosen passenger header and drop it?
Sorry lol thanks for the help though

Epikmach

Established Member
What about SLP Longtubes?? I have SLP's on my mach and im having slipping problems with my mach.. and gonna change my clutch to a spec3.. Would i need to take off the headers for this install?:idea:

Not too sure about SLP's, sorry.

Thank you really appriciate it :beer:

oh will I need to drop the LTs or can I loosen passenger header and drop it?
Sorry lol thanks for the help though

No prob. Its been a while, but I think 1 side had to be loosened quite a bit to drop the trans. I actually had a tubular K member installed at the same time so it would be easier to deal with the headers down the road.

f8lmach

Occasional SVT Poster
Established Member
why not get a factory cobra clutch?

The initial shop I talked to about ordering one, they wanted $800 and I was :eek: then they directed me to a transmission shop which quoted me $560 and I said eh I can live with that... They said they would call me back later that day(on Friday) they never did, I called them the following day and they "left a message" for the guy I talked to so now it's Monday and I desperately need a clutch and I've heard good things about SPEC so I figured why not

f8lmach

Occasional SVT Poster
Established Member
Not too sure about SLP's, sorry.

No prob. Its been a while, but I think 1 side had to be loosened quite a bit to drop the trans. I actually had a tubular K member installed at the same time so it would be easier to deal with the headers down the road.

Ah thank you :beer: lol and one of these days hopefully I can get a tubular k-member

speedofsound

Centrifuged
Established Member
I haven't had any problems with my Spec 3+. But, +1 to 10-spline unless you are upgrading your input shaft.

ez2cyi1

Established Member
I've heard great things about the Centerforce lineup. My car came with a King Cobra in it and I like it a lot.

03mach281

Established Member

I have Mac LT's and have pulled my tranny out a few times and i have found it best to loosen all the bolts on the passenger side and then you can worm the tranny out. PITA.
as far as clutch goes, my centerforce dual friction works great with good pedal feel. no complains here

Mystic-SVT

snuggle fest, mmmmm!
Established Member
Centerforce clutches are great, I installed one in my friends mustang and it has great pedal feel with great grip. My 96 cobra had a spec 1 in it when I bought it and i hated that thing. I replaced it with a ford racing piece and it was mych better.

gmsux

Denial ain't just a river
Established Member
At your power level, IMO a 03/04 clutch would be the best or the variant sold by Promotion powertrain which uses a better disc.

Users who are viewing this thread