Watson Racing S197 MUSTANG BATTERY RELOCATION KIT

Vinnie_B

"LIVE LIFE AT FULL THROTTLE"
Established Member
Premium Member
Really nice battery relocation kit by Watson Racing. Hopefully installing mine soon! Check it out!

NOW FITS S197!!!

The only battery relocation kit CUSTOM-FIT to both the S197 and the S550 MUSTANG! There are many cheap battery trays, boxes, and relocation kits available on the market, but all of them are generic and require some heavy duty tools to crimp the heavy-gauge battery cable. Watson Racing is proud to offer you this complete Mustang Battery Relocation Kit that is 100% ready for you to bolt in with typical hand tools. All of the super-flexible 2-gauge wire is pre-cut, with ring terminals and shrink wrap already installed. We even include a battery terminal stud that accepts your factory battery cable, so you DO NOT have to modify your factory battery wires! It’s genius!! The battery tray is derived from the very same tray we use on our factory built drag cars- it is powder coated and built tough for all driving conditions- whether road racing, drag racing or just cruising the streets. The battery tray also includes a heavy duty OEM-quality fuse holder (fuse included), so you are ready to rock once you have this installed. Only minimal drilling involved for mounting the battery tray; everything else is completely plug-and-play.

Battery Cable Info:

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
Shelby American Carries and sells the same kit (LEFT) side for $316.00 ON SALE! LEFT HAND BATTERY RELOCATION KIT IF you want to mount on the left side great, if on the right side just shorten the cable to your desired length for right side mount. The heat shrink and correct cable connector end can be bought here (Battery Cable Ends, Lugs, Ring Terminals, Connectors, Tin Plated Pure Copper Heat Shrink Tubing - Adhesive Lined Dual Wall Glue Lined) for those of you who want a save a few bucks ($60.00) after shipping costs roughly.

VNMOUS1

Established Member
Like these cars don't have enough electrical issues.....

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

69b302

Established Member
I looked into this options years ago, to move weight off the front. I did not do it because the NHRA rules required a main shut off switch on the back of the car, if the battery was in the trunk. Not sure if that has changed, in the last few years.

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
Like these cars don't have enough electrical issues.....

Have you dealt with alot of issues with these type of battery relocation kits? What were the biggest issues? Just asking out of curiosity. Thanks

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
I looked into this options years ago, to move weight off the front. I did not do it because the NHRA rules required a main shut off switch on the back of the car, if the battery was in the trunk. Not sure if that has changed, in the last few years.
I dont think that this specific kit is NHRA compliant. Im using for street use. Im personally doing it to reduce front end weight and other weight reduction measures. All that under the hood heat aint friendly to our batteries and electrical systems either.

VNMOUS1

Established Member
Have you dealt with alot of issues with these type of battery relocation kits? What were the biggest issues? Just asking out of curiosity. Thanks
I can't tell you how many electrical problems I see on these cars. About 50% off all the cars I tune are not optimal from an electronics standpoint.

With a relo kit you quadruple your cable run, thus diminishing delivery to the things that need it most : electronic fuel injection and electronic throttle body.

And yes, I have personally seen relo kits make it worse. Just buy a lightweight battery for race day

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
I can't tell you how many electrical problems I see on these cars. About 50% off all the cars I tune are not optimal from an electronics standpoint.

With a relo kit you quadruple your cable run, thus diminishing delivery to the things that need it most : electronic fuel injection and electronic throttle body.

And yes, I have personally seen relo kits make it worse. Just buy a lightweight battery for race day

Thanks for the input @VNMOUS1. No doubt these cars have voltages issues. All that heat under the hood on the battery, Alternator and the electrical system I believe is the biggest issue.

Last edited:

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
I understand this is from Watson Racing and they know their stuff. With that said, there is NO WAY I would put a battery in the trunk without putting it in a box and proper venting. I've had a battery blow up on me and the damage was staggering. It sounded like a shotgun going off. No way would that be in the trunk open.

Tom

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
I understand this is from Watson Racing and they know their stuff. With that said, there is NO WAY I would put a battery in the trunk without putting it in a box and proper venting. I've had a battery blow up on me and the damage was staggering. It sounded like a shotgun going off. No way would that be in the trunk open.

Tom

tomshep,​

You are right! Bad things can happen by not putting a battery in an enclosed vented box kit and its probably the smartest thing to do. I have a mint unmolested all stock 2014 9K mile CTS V coupe.

20180401_170943_resized.jpg
Guess were Cadilliac put the battery in the GEN 2 CTS V. Yes, thats correct in the trunk (Straight from the factory) right side(Passenger side) right were you fill the gas tank. No enclosed vented battery box! You would think if it was so dangerous and the liability was so great this would not be done by cadillac. Its safe. IF DONE PROPERLY! Correct (protected) wire size and grounding, High quality sealed battery (Protection from fumes) and battery tray mounted, strapped and fused properly to prevent a battery from be dislodged or fires. Not only are you relocating some much needed weight from the front to the rear of a S197 but you are removing the battery from all that under the hood heat that kills batteries and affects battery voltage. But honestly, I have not ruled out a smaller sized battery either at this point. Im going to do what makes the most practical and safest sense to achieve my set goals. I appreciate and am greatful for your comment and concerns as it gives me questionable and reasonable safe decisions to make.

Last edited:

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
From a safety standpoint I’d say you’re correct that it can be done safely and a lot of that comes from the type of battery.
I think you’re a step ahead by spending more for a properly engineered kit like this from Watson. They have Ford engineering contacts and it’s vetted in the Cobra Jet program that Watson essentially runs with Ford.
Don’t worry about the NHRA cutoff switch if you’re not tracking regularly.
Id also recommend the right/passenger side for the weight balance.
This is on my list for my car but an easier solution is a light battery in the stock location (I’d still personally go with this kit).
Good luck
-J

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
From a safety standpoint I’d say you’re correct that it can be done safely and a lot of that comes from the type of battery.
I think you’re a step ahead by spending more for a properly engineered kit like this from Watson. They have Ford engineering contacts and it’s vetted in the Cobra Jet program that Watson essentially runs with Ford.
Don’t worry about the NHRA cutoff switch if you’re not tracking regularly.
Id also recommend the right/passenger side for the weight balance.
This is on my list for my car but an easier solution is a light battery in the stock location (I’d still personally go with this kit).
Good luck
-J
You are 100% correct J. This kit was designed, collaborated and properly engineered between ford performance and watson racing to be used in the cobra jet program that watson racing was contracted to do for Ford Motor Co. Its a high quality kit and safe to be used with a high quality sealed battery. Agreed @biminiLX,
light weight battery is a good alternative to be used in the stock location if a battery relocation kit is not the route thats good for you.... (y).

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
After doing alot of research and getting alot of technical advice (Options) from my colleages at Ford Performance it was best determined to go another route rather than doing the battery relocation kit to the trunk for my set up. I just couldnt accomplish what I wanted from a weight reduction perspective......safely. Although it can be done correctly and safely the weight savings could not be justified to do. This is a quality battery relocation kit unfortunately it just wont work for me. Thanks to @VNMOUS1, @tomshep for sharing there opinions and concerns as they are real legitimate and safety concerns that need to be considered when installing this kit in your S197. For me going to a (NEW) technology light weight lithium Race battery in this thread ((NEW) Lithium Ion Battery Replacement for our SVT Shelby GT500'S) is the route I'll be going.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread