Wavetrac VS. Truetrac, opinions?

supraman1990

Established Member
I am finishing up the planning phase of my rear end build and have finally determined to go with either a Wavetrac or a Truetrac diff. The car will be mostly a weekend toy with several trips to the drag strip a year. My question is, which would you guys recommend and why? The price difference isn't a big issue to me I just want the best and strongest diff for me. The car will be getting a 15" rear wheel setup and drag radials with the eventual possibility of slicks, so I will for sure be launching it pretty hard.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
I broke a 31 spline Wavetrac on the street on street tires with about 540rwh while driving my buddys car. That was after multiple other problems he had with it that I was personally involved with as well. They're garbage.

My Truetrac has been awesome. Whisper quiet, easy install, countless low 10 sec trac passes, autocross, lots of aggressive street driving on street tires and drag radials. It's awesome. I even busted an axle shaft with it, and it held up great. Highly recommended from me.

RedNightmare06

Established Member
We have run the 31 new gen and 33 spline wavetrac in a few cars. A few running nines at 4000lbs plus with sixty foots in the low 1.4 No issue great units.

Also warranty for life.
Not sure what issues the others had but we used them in about a dozen cars now with no issues at all.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
Any other opinions? I had a truetrac in my Terminator and liked it, just thought with all the hype the wavetrac may be something to try

I did exactly that in my irs terminators, I had the tru trac first and then I went with the wavetrac when I bought my coupe. still running both on street and strip, and no complaints with either. I think both would be plenty strong for just about any application

VFORCEJOHN

Established Member
I thought the wavetrac was the better of the 2 options. at least that's the way moser explained it to me. they also said warranty was covered no issues.

I was considering going to a 33 spline wavetrac and axles. but for another 1300 I can get a bulletproof 9 inch.

I just don't want to run a spool as im street driven

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
Yeah, Wavetracs warranty is great. You'll need it too. The removal process is a lot of fun also. Their C-clip retention system is absolute garbage. The first AND SECOND set of C-clips literally fell out while driving (sounds fun huh!). The unit was sent back to be updated/inspected. Once we got it back and installed, it lasted barely another month before I broke it (sheared the internal gears). Upon removal, the C-clips were so tight, we had to build a tool to remove them. Calling it a nightmare diff doesn't quite describe it properly. You couldn't give me one for free.

If you're eliminating the C-clips, it might be a good diff. Why risk it though, when everyone is having excellent success with the Truetrac.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Seems like we have similar goals, I will have a 33 truetrac on the delivery truck. They proved VERY hard to find but Jegs currently has them, priced matched and eaton has a $60 rebate going on.
I saw too many drag strip reviews with failure on the Wavetracs.
I'll let you know once installed but it will be the best 8.8" street/strip package you can currently buy, amazing how affordable it is actually considering the strength.
But also as mentioned, a drop in 9" makes better sense if the plan is even bigger power.
-J

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I think I have decided to go truetrac. I can get the truetrac and axles for what the Wavetrac itself costs. I will probably be sending my whole housing to Moser to get the 9" end upgrade and some axles done for it

My chassis shop can probably duplicate mine for you.
PM me for details.
Its at the stripper this week, will be welded/straighten, etc and built the following hoping to get it under car and rear suspension and subframes before NMRA 6/12!
-J

Fastfish420

Established Member
I am going to try a true trac..I just broke my rearend again for the 2nd time lastnight,first pass out this year.I broke axle and cracked torsen last pass last year and installed strange axles and FFRP cobra diff.I havent got it torn down yet but feels like spiders let go! I think these 20 inch DR are killing these things!

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I am going to try a true trac..I just broke my rearend again for the 2nd time lastnight,first pass out this year.I broke axle and cracked torsen last pass last year and installed strange axles and FFRP cobra diff.I havent got it torn down yet but feels like spiders let go! I think these 20 inch DR are killing these things!

Damn, sorry to hear!
I agree with you on the heavy 20s, but I'll be using them too.
If I get serious, I guess I'll swap the rear brakes and run 15s, but for now I race it as its on the track.
-J

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
33 spline Truetrac came last Friday, cool looking piece, I hope it holds up to the planned abuse, I'll keep you guys updated.
Who needs a Torsen? :)
-J

paluka21

Established Member

So you destroyed the FRPP cobra differential? How are the strange axles holding up thus far? I've been considering just replacing the axles since people are having trouble with bent/broken axles when running a drag radial, however by the looks of it, some of the torsens aren't taking the abuse with sticky tires. Although my car doesn't have the PP with torsen, so not sure how mine would hold up with the base package.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread