Way overpriced at San Bruno Ford in Nor. Cal!!!!

2003 Cobra

Established Member
$8,995 over MSRP for the convertibles and $5,000 over MSRP for the coupes. Funny thing is they don't care if they sell them or not. I purchased mine from Hayward Ford at MSRP and the sales manager at San Bruno Ford kept telling me that they are getting the markup without a problem. What kind of person is paying a large premium when they can drive accross the San Mateo bridge, which is only 20 minutes away, and buy their car at Hayward Ford for MSRP?

Cobra-R

Established Member
Originally posted by 2003 Cobra
$8,995 over MSRP for the convertibles and $5,000 over MSRP for the coupes. Funny thing is they don't care if they sell them or not. I purchased mine from Hayward Ford at MSRP and the sales manager at San Bruno Ford kept telling me that they are getting the markup without a problem. What kind of person is paying a large premium when they can drive accross the San Mateo bridge, which is only 20 minutes away, and buy their car at Hayward Ford for MSRP?

Alot of dealers ask over list, I wonder how many acually get it when it comes down to it??? I am asking the question, not being sacastic. :beer:

mike_b_svt

Top down and cruisin'
Established Member
Yeah, I got hit with $5K over at James Ford in Half Moon Bay. Told him I was gonna shop around. Their reply was that they would be waiting when I came back.

So I ended up at Shamrock Ford in Dublin and got it for $1K over. I figure I could have found one for less, but they were the only ones that would talk to me about prices when I called. Everyone else's line was "come on in and we'll talk about it". Um, no. I'm not gonna waste my time and gas to hear "best we can do is $5K over".

Anyhow, congrats on the find!

M.

[iSEPIC]

Damn Crazy SVT Poster
Established Member
I got mine at MSRP at Frontier Ford (Santa Clara)....but I was a return Cobra buyer so they flexed a bit (bought my 2001 there as well). They even threw in the LoJack and Sealants (Int./Ext.)

sn8k

THe oLD FaRT
Established Member
Got mine at Fremont Ford for MSRP. I heard they were marking them up at most dealerships around here (even Frenot Ford says they normally mark them up $3K to $5K - I got mine throught the fleet sales guys). Hell, we just went to look at the dark shaddow gray to see what it looked like on the trucks... told 'em I wasn't looking to buy a new Cobra right now. Guess with me playing hard to get, they decided to give me an offer I couldn't refuse. :-D

As far as what kind of person would pay a $5K+ markup - damn dude.... look around. There are a great many peeps here in the bay area that ain't the brightest bulb on the tree. :loser:

SonterraSVT

10thAnniversary SVT Cobra
Established Member
If you want a good deal, my salesman said he sells to people all over the country. I paid MSRP 34,750.00

Robert Zimmerman
Jordan Ford
13010 IH 35 North
San Antonio, Texas 78233
1-210-653-3673 Ext. 233

Tell Him the Guy who bought the Sonic Blue 03` Cobra told you to call. Remember if you buy one from out of state you can have them ship it by train to your location.

Read this Post, this is what happened to me at another dealership:
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21003

Last edited:

03DOHC

Established Member
Got mine at Green Valley Ford for MSRP. All the pricks on the peninsula basically told me to get lost when I was shopping for it. San Bruno Ford has, unfortuantely, sold more than a few '03 Cobras for well over MSRP. They were selling coupes for $5K over and verts for $10K over. I saw them move a few. Whoever paid that have more money than brains.

Last edited:

griffined

SVT driver
Originally posted by mike_b_svt
So I ended up at Shamrock Ford in Dublin and got it for $1K over. I figure I could have found one for less, but they were the only ones that would talk to me about prices when I called.
M.

I thought I had a deal with Shamrock for MSRP, but they wanted to low ball me on my trade in, and added $1000 over MSRP, so I walked away.:(

Elapidae

Festively Plump
Established Member
I think if they hang on to them long enough, they'll be able to get whatever they want. :(

03'Darin

Established Member
We have been selling all of our 03's for sticker except for the first vert that came in. The only other local SVT dealer in our area, who is about twenty minutes away is $2K-$4K over sticker. The way things have worked in the past, when we sell out of our SVT's the people end up going to the other dealer and buying his. The cars are ususlly left overs before the other local dealer sells out of his. However this dealer does still sell some of his SVT's through the year for over sticker while only 20 minutes away we are selling them for sticker. Go figure.

Elliotness

Established Member
Originally posted by 03'Darin
We have been selling all of our 03's for sticker except for the first vert that came in. The only other local SVT dealer in our area, who is about twenty minutes away is $2K-$4K over sticker. The way things have worked in the past, when we sell out of our SVT's the people end up going to the other dealer and buying his. The cars are ususlly left overs before the other local dealer sells out of his. However this dealer does still sell some of his SVT's through the year for over sticker while only 20 minutes away we are selling them for sticker. Go figure.

I guess that makes sense. He can wait for you to sell the cars to people who take the time to research the purchase. When you don't have any cars he can stick it to people who want a car.
GGGRREEEEAAAT:xpl: I just hope he doesn't sell enough to make that tactic worthwhile.

03'Darin

Established Member
Elliotness- unfortunately,so far that dealer has been able to make it work. They have been in the program since we have been which was of course 1993. In 1997 and 1998 we struggled to sell our SVT Cobras and Contours and lost money on the program. There is a pretty heavy fee every year to be an SVT dealer, which has been as high as $5600!! When you only get a limited number of vehicles to sell it can get hard to justify that investment in lean years. Fords word to the SVT dealer had always been- We know the program will go through growing pains with some tough years, however once it gets established you will be able to make up for those lean growing years. Also any dealer who got out of the program at any time would not be aloud back in, reducing the SVT dealer body to help benefeit those who stuck out the tough years. Now as a reward from Ford, as most of you have probobaly already heard, they are giving SVT to all dealers in 2005. So much for hanging in there through the lean years to capitalize once the program takes off.

[iSEPIC]

Damn Crazy SVT Poster
Established Member
San Bruno Ford offered to sell me my 2001 Cobra for MSRP in june of 2001. They were the direct compeition between Frontier Ford, only difference at that time was Frontier had the Performance Red and San Bruno had a black one. Using them against each other I got the Performance Red at Frontier Ford for MSRP (it had 5K over sticker--but they sold at MSRP), San Bruno, at the time, had no over sticker price, just MSRP.

So this year, I returned to Frontier Ford, and I told them I want an 03 and I will not pay over MSRP, don't even ask, if you do, I'm walking. I'll go 500 miles out of my way to get it at MSRP. So, 1 hour later, I'm driving it home for MSRP :)

03'Darin

Established Member
Way to go!! It's just a shame the way some of the dealers screw with the public. The car is awesome... isn't it? What color did you get?

03'Darin

Established Member
I had a black 96' Cobra vert. Had to wash the thing every time i drove it to keep it looking good. In pa. we have nasty humidity which causes the cars to be dirt magnets. Black sure looks good when it is clean. I went with dark grey because i wanted something a little different and was hoping it would be easier to keep clean. It is a little easier-but not much.

[iSEPIC]

Damn Crazy SVT Poster
Established Member
Originally posted by 03'Darin
I had a black 96' Cobra vert. Had to wash the thing every time i drove it to keep it looking good. In pa. we have nasty humidity which causes the cars to be dirt magnets. Black sure looks good when it is clean. I went with dark grey because i wanted something a little different and was hoping it would be easier to keep clean. It is a little easier-but not much.

I swear, I think it would be easier trying to move 2 tons of sand with my bare hands w/o spilling it than keeping this damned color clean... ERRR do I miss my Performance Red.. hehe

Okay now I need to buy a Bassani to get my mind off how dirty it gets no more than 10 minutes after I wash it.. anyone have any kind of ideas on static repellent-to-dust wax or paint? That be a sure seller.

sn8k

THe oLD FaRT
Established Member
Originally posted by [iSEPIC]
.. anyone have any kind of ideas on static repellent-to-dust wax or paint? That be a sure seller.
One of the many reasons to use Zaino :-D

Z-6 Gloss Enhancer spray dramatically boosts and intensifies all Show Car Polishes. Use Z-6 for fast cleaning of dust, water spots and light soil between washings and to give your car that show winning edge. Z-6’s seven optical clarifiers and its unique wet gloss enhancers form a tough molecular bond with Show Car Polish to increase the depth of gloss, optical clarity, slickness, durability and reinforce the UV(40) protection. Its super anti-static formula reduces dust and dirt pickup by up to 60%. Z-6 will not streak, smear, haze, dull, scratch or leave a film. Less than one ounce does an average car.

Users who are viewing this thread