Weak points in terminator motor, educate me

YelOSnake

LEAVE IN A CLOUD OF SMOKE
Established Member
Alright people, I'm in the process of getting a build together on my 04 terminator. Plan is to do a hellion tt kit feeding a 2.4 kenne bell. I'm looking for opinions on what the weak points in the motor will be at 800+rwhp and 1000+rwhp.

Ik all of the other weak points in the car, I've been told pistons are the major weak point and that a good set of pistons with arp bolts through out the motor will handle these power levels.

Give me info guys, share with me what you know, what's worked for you and what you've seen blow up.

YelOSnake

Established Member
I've known more guys with valve seat issues than anything else making even more power than that.

With stock rotating assembly? What causes the valve seat issues? My car is low miles (16k) and fairly unmolested.

TRBO VNM

Have you searched? I wouldn't do a KB with the tt setup. novi2000(corey) tried it and it blew the seals out in the KB. He went back to a ported eaton and it worked fine.

Have you read the terminator FAQ? start searching and reading

YelOSnake

Established Member
Have you searched? I wouldn't do a KB with the tt setup. novi2000(corey) tried it and it blew the seals out in the KB. He went back to a ported eaton and it worked fine.

Have you read the terminator FAQ? start searching and reading

I read around the FAQ a fair amount. I have however seen this setup done successfully on another car, it was featured in MM&FF mag and im looking for the article as im typing this. I believe he was running a 2.2KB but im not sure. What seals were failing in his blower? Possibly the blower had some miles on it and was ready for a rebuild the turbos just accelerated the seal failure?

Last edited:

Onemeanstang

Established Member
Why compound boost? What do u do with the car? And what are u looking to make hp range. I agree with the valve seat issue the other post talk about. Allso u may notice valve float on that kind of boost. As far as engine, i would go with a custom piston like a cp, i would allso change the stock rod to a aftermarket rod with arp 2000 rod bolts. Change the head gasket to a cometic mls and stud the motor. Then ur stout. For any thing u want to throw at.

YelOSnake

Established Member
Why compound boost? What do u do with the car? And what are u looking to make hp range. I agree with the valve seat issue the other post talk about. Allso u may notice valve float on that kind of boost. As far as engine, i would go with a custom piston like a cp, i would allso change the stock rod to a aftermarket rod with arp 2000 rod bolts. Change the head gasket to a cometic mls and stud the motor. Then ur stout. For any thing u want to throw at.

Compound boost, because few people do it and Its a brilliant concept. Mostly cause i want to do something different, i dont run the car at the strip. id like to make 850 to 950 on a hotter tune and 750-800 street driven milder tune. I dont intend to run more that 24-26 psi so valve float shouldnt be an issue. When you say stud the motor are you talking arp studs?

AMB

Established Member
Week Points in Motor

The SPARK PLUG THREADS!!! You need to replace the 4 threads with 9 threads!!! :thumbsup:

Brutal Metal

Established Member
The Zollner pistons have a pretty tight ptw clearance, and high heat expansion can cause some damage, that's why it's a NO NO for sustained high gear top speeds runs...

YelOSnake

Established Member
The Zollner pistons have a pretty tight ptw clearance, and high heat expansion can cause some damage, that's why it's a NO NO for sustained high gear top speeds runs...

THANK YOU!!!! I really appreciate that insight, thats one thing that will happen on occasion with my car.

cobracide

Established Member
For a 1k hp engine build on compound boost and seeing you admittedly don't know much about the cobra engine in general let alone specifics.. Talk to an experienced mod motor engine. We can rehash all of the weaknesses, piece by piece but in the end - you will be best off with a ground up design to handle that kind of power.

Last edited:

03kevo

Established Member
cylinder 7 and 8.

So why are you going with a compound setup when TT will get you there easily?

tmkr03

Established Member
With stock rotating assembly? What causes the valve seat issues? My car is low miles (16k) and fairly unmolested.

One guy had a ton of miles but the other car did not. Some motors have been modded and some have not. It's a craps shoot IMO. A few were track only and make well over 1k.
I'm personally waiting for mine to do it. I have a stock block and heads but I make good power and the car runs hard for a 6 speed

But if your just driving around it may never happen. The guys I know it has happened to are track whores. In sure it attributes to it. Other than doing a cooling mod for the heads these motors take abuse for quite some time.

Last edited:

TRBO VNM

I read around the FAQ a fair amount. I have however seen this setup done successfully on another car, it was featured in MM&FF mag and im looking for the article as im typing this. I believe he was running a 2.2KB but im not sure. What seals were failing in his blower? Possibly the blower had some miles on it and was ready for a rebuild the turbos just accelerated the seal failure?

It was a KB2.2 on his car and the blower was sent back to KB for rebuild. I am pretty sure I know the reasoning, but don't want to put misinformation out there, so you can contact him yourself and find out. I sold him the twin kit and he did a lot of different things with the setup. So he would be a great resource for you.

YelOSnake

Established Member
It was a KB2.2 on his car and the blower was sent back to KB for rebuild. I am pretty sure I know the reasoning, but don't want to put misinformation out there, so you can contact him yourself and find out. I sold him the twin kit and he did a lot of different things with the setup. So he would be a great resource for you.

What's the guys name? I take it he's a member on here? Id deff like to pick his brain on it.

YelOSnake

Established Member
cylinder 7 and 8.

So why are you going with a compound setup when TT will get you there easily?

Compound boost cause no one like turbo lag and I'm not a track guy so I'm not going to turbo launch it, and like I said above, because I want something different. Few people go the compound boost route, its a brilliant and efficient concept, and I want torque all the way at the bottom like a KB offers and big boost all the way to the top with the turbos.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread