Weighed my pig at the track yesterday

TTA89

Established Member
Was at NHIS for a drivers school and rolled over the nascar scales.

Without Me

Drivers Side Passenger Side
1829 1809 = 3638lbs

With Me

Drivers Side Passenger Side
1965 1855 = 3820lbs :cryying:

Thats with a full tank of fuel basically ready to drive on the track. All trunk items removed, no spare, jack or plasic carpeting in trunk. Rear Seat delete, no rear seat belts. Front and Rear Coilovers, Recaro Pole Position Seats, 4 point Rollbar, Subframe connectors, strut and K member braces. 00R Brakes...

I had a set of 03 Cobra Wheels with V710s on the car which are a lot heavier than the 95 Cobra R wheels I usually run. I was trying to burn the tires off as I have the wheels sold. I figure thats probably 10-15lbs at least in wheels.

What a Porker!

BTW, It was about 90 degrees out. I don't know how you guys run in this weather.. The car feels like it lost about 150hp, the tires are gone after a few hard laps, the brakes suck because the tires suck and I thought I was going to sweat to death with the heater on dressed in a fire suit with gloves. I didn't limp the car but I could feel it was damn hot.... No more Summer racing for me, this shit is for the birds! Bring back the 40-50 degree spring!

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Oink Oink.

I love these cars. When you get good, and you may be making these cars handle is, well, like an NFL lineman doing ballet.

TroyV

Brakes only slow you down
Established Member
That is heavy.. (and I know my car is probably heavier)....You get it around the course pretty darned quickly though. My instructor was commenting on that, not about you specifically but about how the 03's seem to get around really well with such a weight disadvantage. Too bad we didn't get any opportunities to run nose to tail... Way too much traffic in the way. :)

Congrats on the license!

SGL

Banned
TTA89 said:
BTW, It was about 90 degrees out. I don't know how you guys run in this weather.. The car feels like it lost about 150hp,

Same problem here. At first I thought it was a problem with the blower. It's not. The motor is overheating although the idiot gauge doesn't show it. The computer goes into limp mode to protect the motor. Blowers suck on a track. I can't wait to get rid of my Kenne-Bell.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Can you imagine running in the Texas heat??? :burn:

Now you know why 03 Cobra Toy was involved with Evans so early on developing the cooling mods.

Which do work pretty darn good! He is running a 2.93 pulley and ALL the cooling mods(LDC and Evans).
He isn't slow either... :uh oh: He's only about 2 seconds slower than the American Iron record at MSR Houston carrying almost 900 more pounds!!!

I totally understand not wanting to run in the summer heat though. Since I don't have any cooling mods(stock pulley still) I usually run in the fall, winter and spring... as funds allow of course.

Limp mode sucks though!!! I only had it happen once though at my first event on a very hot day.

SGL

Banned
I foolishly invested in the Snow Performance methanol kit thinking it would rectify the problem. It's only later, after a lot of street driving in various temperatures that I discovered it had nothing to do with blower heat soak. There just isn't enough cooling capacity in the OEM setup to support a supercharger. Next step: go back to N/A.

Last edited by a moderator:

rezcobra

Established Member
Jimmysidecarr said:

Limp mode sucks though!!! I only had it happen once though at my first event on a very hot day.

Or at 110 degrees in Phoenix!!! LOL!! At those temps only people who "have" to be outside are out, everybody else is somewhere cool! Phoenix sucks in the summer. Sometimes still 100 at midnight. :beer:

TTA89

Established Member
Jimmysidecarr said:

Not with this car! :-D

Taking the blower off would totally kill the reason I bought this thing. If I'm forced to something N/A I'd be in a Z06. :rockon:

I'm running the stock cooling system with an upper and lower pulley, I haven't had any problems yet and I think as long as I don't run in the summer I won't need to do any of the cooling stuff. It runs great in spring and fall temps.

Even if the motor were to stay under control the outside air temps kill the power, the tires melt, the brakes melt...

I'm spoiled. I can't wait for Limerock in November! I hope its 30 degrees. :thumbsup:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
ShelbyGuy said:
yeah road america in late october is like that. if its not raining.

Or worse yet!??!
raodamericasnow9kn.jpg

:cryying: :cryying:

93SVTCobra

Established Member
DAMN! Just imagine how that car would handle with 600-900 lbs less to drag around the track!!

No wonder 03-04 Cobra's are so easy to pass.... :)

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
93SVTCobra said:
DAMN! Just imagine how that car would handle with 600-900 lbs less to drag around the track!!

OWWW!!!

That hurt! :cryying: .......lol

That why some of us are trying like hell to get weight out at a reasonable price.

I think a really cool project car would be a 79/93 coupe(w/trunk) with all Terminator suspension and engine... except with a Teksid block. It would make a really fun track car(I think) and still be civilized w/ A/C etc..
It would be heavier than your typical American Iron car but I believe still very fast and still a fun street car.

:shrug:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
93SVTCobra said:

That's gonna leave a mark! ;-) :p

93SVTCobra

Established Member
Jimmysidecarr said:
OWWW!!!

That hurt! :cryying: .......lol

That why some of us are trying like hell to get weight out at a reasonable price.

I think a really cool project car would be a 79/93 coupe(w/trunk) with all Terminator suspension and engine... except with a Teksid block. It would make a really fun track car(I think) and still be civilized w/ A/C etc..
It would be heavier than your typical American Iron car but I believe still very fast and still a fun street car.

:shrug:

The only problems with the 79-93 cars is that you're limited in tire sizes front and rear. My 2004 blue race car is in the 2550 lb range and that is with all stock body panels, cobra R wheels, 10 gallons of gas and a pushrod motor. Next year I hope to have it below 2500 with the winter changes that are coming..... :coolman:

2700lbs with driver, minimum 275 tires, fully modified IRS suspension and 400-425 rwhp. :rockon:

Here piggy piggy piggy........ :burnout:

Last edited:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
93SVTCobra said:
My 2004 blue race car is in the 2550 lb range and that is with all stock body panels, cobra R wheels, 10 gallons of gas and a pushrod motor. Next year I hope to have it below 2500 with the winter changes that are coming..... :coolman:

2700lbs with driver, minimum 275 tires, fully modified IRS suspension and 400-425 rwhp. :rockon:

Here piggy piggy piggy........ :burnout:

No Wonder that thing spanks me like a redheaded stepchild!! :bowdown:

cobraCMDR

I Whine
Established Member
hmmm I weighted my vert at the track. 1/2 tank of gas, me no jack tire or carpet with some steel wheels on the rear and e/t streets and I only weighted 3970....... Something is wrong with your coupe or you need a driver mod! No more mcie d's

Users who are viewing this thread