Weight Gained 200-300 pounds!

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
Chevy was claiming the new C7 Vette would be much lighter than the base C6 a year before it came out... Ended up weighing 100-150 more! Don't count on a weight loss... After reading what Steeda said and then Road and Tracks Ford insider... It's going to be heavier. Let's just hope it's not the rumored 170-250lbs

dmichaels

Established Member
I blame the government for safety standards that drastically increase weight. Is safety good? yes - but it's disappointing that in a performance car like the Mustang some "features" that add lots of weight can't be omitted. Rather than force manufacturers to spend $$$ and make heavy cars, sponsoring intensive, MANDATORY, driver training would probably go a very long way in reducing driving accidents and injuries... anyone who has driven in Europe probably understands what I mean. I lived over there for 2 years....

Since I bought a 2014, I hope the new Mustangs gain 300 lbs so I can be even happier in my purchase :)

FIVEHOE

Established Member

not like that article had any facts to offer. I'm more curious as to why Ford wouldn't speak up if it wasn't true. I'm sure someone in PR has had to have seen that article. If it was bullshit and the 15 did lose weight why wouldn't they just come out and tell us? I mean if you can order the damn car but don't know the weight or the power then Ford must be hiding/putting it off for a reason.

RaceRedSnake

Established Member
I have yet to hear any of the automotive journalist whom have seen the 2015 Mustang and talked to Ford engineers say a Ford engineer gave them a hint the 2015 Mustang will be heavier than the 2014 Mustang. Ford started with a clean sheet of paper and designed a new Mustang for the future. It is hard to believe the Ford engineers would not look at every part and try to make it lighter to help improve fuel mileage. Ford engineers had plenty of time to look at various IRS setups from other manufacturers and then designed an IRS that was better in all aspects and lighter. The example of the new Corvette being heavier than the previous Corvette is not relative to possible Mustang weight gains. The previous Corvette was designed to be as light as possible with exotic lightweight materials. To add any new safety features would drive up the weight. The Mustang was made from heavier materials and could be made lighter even with new safety features. The previous IRS in the Mustang Cobra was designed so a Mustang could have an IRS for better handling without a concern for added weight. The IRS in the new Mustang should be considerably lighter than the IRS in the Mustang Cobra. Now, I will say that the IRS in the new Mustang may have to be beefed up for drag racing and use in a higher horsepower Mustangs and then will add weight over the standard IRS.

Last edited:

Clemson

Established Member
I have yet to hear any of the automotive journalist whom have seen the 2015 Mustang and talked to Ford engineers say a Ford engineer gave them a hint the 2015 Mustang will be heavier than the 2014 Mustang. Ford started with a clean sheet of paper and designed a new Mustang for the future. It is hard to believe the Ford engineers would not look at every part and try to make it lighter to help improve fuel mileage. Ford engineers had plenty of time to look at various IRS setups from other manufacturers and then designed an IRS that was better in all aspects and lighter. The example of the new Corvette being heavier than the previous Corvette is not relative to possible Mustang weight gains. The previous Corvette was designed to be as light as possible with exotic lightweight materials. To add any new safety features would drive up the weight. The Mustang was made from heavier materials and could be made lighter even with new safety features. The previous IRS in the Mustang Cobra was designed so a Mustang could have an IRS for better handling without a concern for added weight. The IRS in the new Mustang should be considerably lighter than the IRS in the Mustang Cobra. Now, I will say that the IRS in the new Mustang may have to be beefed up for drag racing and use in a higher horsepower Mustangs and then will add weight over the standard IRS.

Drinking the cool aide much? If the new mustang was indeed lighter, why hasn't Ford been using that to boost sales? Like-wise if it is heavier, it makes sense they are keeping mum about it because it would be devastating PR. They know what the dam thing weighs, its not like its still in pre-production. So what gives? I don't see how its a good thing if they are keeping quiet about it.

rrg9946

Established Member
Drinking the cool aide much? If the new mustang was indeed lighter, why hasn't Ford been using that to boost sales? Like-wise if it is heavier, it makes sense they are keeping mum about it because it would be devastating PR. They know what the dam thing weighs, its not like its still in pre-production. So what gives? I don't see how its a good thing if they are keeping quiet about it.

Boost sales! Ford has never seen a new Mustang release have this many orders. Nevermind before it even hits the ground. As far as I can tell a lot of people are drinking the "cool aide". I'm one of them. Why people are taking things so personal when it comes thus car is beyond me. But it surely isn't hurting orders.

Clemson

Established Member
Boost sales! Ford has never seen a new Mustang release have this many orders. Nevermind before it even hits the ground. As far as I can tell a lot of people are drinking the "cool aide". I'm one of them. Why people are taking things so personal when it comes thus car is beyond me. But it surely isn't hurting orders.

Right - but what happens if Ford comes out and says the new GT weighs 3900 lbs? If its lighter, why not say so? I could not care less personally. I decided on my 13 Shelby as soon as I saw the 15 officially revealed, specs be damned.

rrg9946

Established Member
Right - but what happens if Ford comes out and says the new GT weighs 3900 lbs? If its lighter, why not say so? I could not care less personally. I decided on my 13 Shelby as soon as I saw the 15 officially revealed, specs be damned.

Well your toying with a big if. What if they come out and say its pushing 475. Hell we could go on and on with a laundry list of ifs Even if they did release a weight increase do you really think all or most if the 10,000 plus orders that have been submitted will get canceled? Not to mention all of Europes order banks dried up under a min. So no I,don't think,it would impact sales. This car is appealing to a lot more than just weight conscious gear heads.

Last edited:

THE_EVIL_TW1N

Established Member
Based on the unconfirmed reports and Fords unwillingness to deny, I believe this new Mustang has indeed gained some weight. But I don't think it matters since I'm sure it will outperform the outgoing mustang too.

I also do not believe the camaro will come in at 3400 lbs either, alpha platform or not with any updates and reinforcements that will be necessary. These cars will be within 100 lbs of each other.

crazyfish

Established Member
I would wait and see what happens. I think with the new design and quality of the materials it may gain weight especially with the width increase of the vehicle and other dimensions. I just hope the new stang shows up as originally planned. I ordered a '15 black premium GT with stick, performance pack and redline recaros for SEMA. My dealer is telling me as of today that the order has not been accepted. I asked why and of course got no answer. I just feel Ford should have had a little more control of this whole ordering and weight thing. I live in Chicago but have clients in Dearborn who do work for Ford and there was an ad shoot of 41 2015 mustangs All new. 20 kona blue, 20 white and 1 red in the center for photo shoot. I also know there a quite a few 2015s already for delivery. Remember all 1964 units are allocated to dealers before we could even order. The dealer I ordered mine from is not even getting one of the 1964 and mine was the first dealer ordered in all Chicagoland supposedly? Who knows what is going to happen. I heard official delivery for the 1964 would be August 11 and then other units drifting in here and there. Hope this info is at least right but who knows. I just don't want this dealer I ordered mine from to play games especially after I purchased a 2010 and 2014 from them. Just scared because the dealer couldn't firm up price but said my deal would be $500 over invoice and then next sentence they were looking for $10k over invoice. Just don't know and haven't gotten the confirmation number. Hope everything for everyone and weight is kept down. Just hurry up and weight.

Chameleon76

Formerly Bad_302
Established Member
I would wait and see what happens. I think with the new design and quality of the materials it may gain weight especially with the width increase of the vehicle and other dimensions. I just hope the new stang shows up as originally planned. I ordered a '15 black premium GT with stick, performance pack and redline recaros for SEMA. My dealer is telling me as of today that the order has not been accepted. I asked why and of course got no answer. I just feel Ford should have had a little more control of this whole ordering and weight thing. I live in Chicago but have clients in Dearborn who do work for Ford and there was an ad shoot of 41 2015 mustangs All new. 20 kona blue, 20 white and 1 red in the center for photo shoot. I also know there a quite a few 2015s already for delivery. Remember all 1964 units are allocated to dealers before we could even order. The dealer I ordered mine from is not even getting one of the 1964 and mine was the first dealer ordered in all Chicagoland supposedly? Who knows what is going to happen. I heard official delivery for the 1964 would be August 11 and then other units drifting in here and there. Hope this info is at least right but who knows. I just don't want this dealer I ordered mine from to play games especially after I purchased a 2010 and 2014 from them. Just scared because the dealer couldn't firm up price but said my deal would be $500 over invoice and then next sentence they were looking for $10k over invoice. Just don't know and haven't gotten the confirmation number. Hope everything for everyone and weight is kept down. Just hurry up and weight.

Find another dealer ASAP.

kingnut

Established Member
i was arguing with some douche on here about the weight savings. listening to people say the 15 is going to lose 300+ lbs is absolutely ridiculous. now hearing this is unreal. no way i would want a pig of a mustang that gained 300 lbs. now the 13-14's are looking real good.

Users who are viewing this thread