Weight of GT350R 3650lbs -Ford

whitedevil95

@the03cobro
Established Member
Thats great news. I hope there is something that can be done at some point about the mustangs balooning weight. Maybe some day for will take a page out of the F150 play book.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Well the Z28 weights 3,837, so at least it's lighter than that and makes more power.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Well the Z28 weights 3,837, so at least it's lighter than that and makes more power.

Lighter than the outgoing Z28. The next Z28 will no doubt be lighter than the GT350R based on Chevy's weightloss program with the 6th gen Camaro.

O'Neill

Established Member
Im a little confused. Raj Nair said that the "R" version would be 130lbs lighter than the GT350 with the PP. So that would mean that the GT350 with the PP is 3780. A standard baseline GT 6MT weighs 3705lbs according to Road and Track, so does the PP really add 75lbs? Maybe im just looking at the numbers wrong.

The outgoing Z28 weighs 3837lbs, and they are claiming a 200lb drop for the 8cyl models, so im thinking the Z will come in around the same number as the GT350R. I honestly dont see either one having a huge difference in weight.

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
Lighter than the outgoing Z28. The next Z28 will no doubt be lighter than the GT350R based on Chevy's weightloss program with the 6th gen Camaro.

I wouldn't put a ton of money on the Alpha Camaro being significantly lighter than the S550. It's easy to say the chassis is lighter, but increased gadgetry and safety equipment chalk it right back up in a hurry. The S550 chassis is lighter than the S197, and we see what happened with that.

Cobra Jet 429

Hot Rod Lincoln
Established Member
yeah the manufacturers have thier hands tied with most regaurds to weight.
Still, they could go meaner if they need. CF roof panel, CF hood, thin out the glass, cf driveshaft, and then you get into the porsche stuff, fabric loops instead of door handles... etc

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Still, they could go meaner if they need. CF roof panel, CF hood, thin out the glass, cf driveshaft, and then you get into the porsche stuff, fabric loops instead of door handles... etc

The 350R is a low-mid $60k car that takes swings at the 911 GT3. It could obviously drop weight with fancy materials that its big sister will have (fgt), but at the end of the day, how much can a mustang cost before the market will start to look at z06s and vipers?

I think its in a good spot, a track slut like the z28 that hits far harder than its pay range. If you want lighter weight, you may need to look elsewhere.

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member

The 350R is a low-mid $60k car that takes swings at the 911 GT3. It could obviously drop weight with fancy materials that its big sister will have (fgt), but at the end of the day, how much can a mustang cost before the market will start to look at z06s and vipers?

I think its in a good spot, a track slut like the z28 that hits far harder than its pay range. If you want lighter weight, you may need to look elsewhere.

Until CF gets more mainstream, you're starting to get into that dangerous zone of pricing yourself out of the segment. Like Austin said, I think they played the GT350 smartly. The Z28 is a very good road racer, yet they can't sell them at $75,000. They have to keep dropping the price to incentivize buyers.

If people can avoid the ADMs, you're looking at getting into a faster, lighter, more comfortable car than the Z28 for $15,000 less, or even $10,000 less with nav and AC. They're dead even with a 911 GT3 for $60,000. A 911 GT3 starts at $130,000+!! The GT350R is a steal for $60-65K.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438233641.057271.jpg

cloud9

Established Member
Im a little confused. Raj Nair said that the "R" version would be 130lbs lighter than the GT350 with the PP. So that would mean that the GT350 with the PP is 3780. A standard baseline GT 6MT weighs 3705lbs according to Road and Track, so does the PP really add 75lbs? Maybe im just looking at the numbers wrong.
The GT350 with Track Pack adds oil, trans and diff coolers plus the accompanying additional fluids. That will account for some of the difference in your calculations.

Cobra Jet 429

Hot Rod Lincoln
Established Member
Oh I'm well aware of those costs, but in the future, as ford invests more and more into aluminum and CF tech... It's not impossible. I was mostly pointing out that they have done what they can to deliver the car at the price point.
Like others have said, between the EPA and NHTSA the companies are hog tied. Want less BS regulations... stop voting democrat.
While the weight isn't flat out impressive at first glance, upon looking at what most cars weigh now, it's not bad at all.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Way to much emphasis on the weight. It's competes with the 991 GT3. It's faster than 99.9% have the balls and skill to run it. To put in perspective the z28 ran the ring at 37 where the new GT3 is at 30 flat. The grip and corner speeds for the GT350R have to be outstanding to compete with street race car like the Porsche!

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
It's apparently because "they're worth too much." Just get a freaking track pack 350! What's the point? I want an R over the others BECAUSE I want the wheels.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
The new z28 will be so fast GM will only have to discount half of its production vs all of it to sell units. For the first two weeks anyways.

Users who are viewing this thread