Weight reduction...where to begin?

SteveWK

Established Member
I've been thinking about weight reduction myself. The rims come to mind. I don't know how the SVTPP rims compare in weight with other rims, but any weight savings is good when it comes to rotating mass. Not only do you have to accelerate the rims forward but they are also being accelerated rotationally. It is a double whammy so to speak. Incidentally this why a car will measure higher HP on dyno in 4th rather than 3rd. In 3rd you are accelerating the wheels faster (think rotational mass, mass moment of inertia), and as we all know if you are accelerating anything faster it takes more power. This is power that is not measured by the dyno.

Steve

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
I've been thinking about weight reduction myself. The rims come to mind. I don't know how the SVTPP rims compare in weight with other rims, but any weight savings is good when it comes to rotating mass. Not only do you have to accelerate the rims forward but they are also being accelerated rotationally. It is a double whammy so to speak. Incidentally this why a car will measure higher HP on dyno in 4th rather than 3rd. In 3rd you are accelerating the wheels faster (think rotational mass, mass moment of inertia), and as we all know if you are accelerating anything faster it takes more power. This is power that is not measured by the dyno.

Steve

I'd say you're correct on all counts and add a third whammy, which is the up/down motion of the wheel and suspension and how much harder the whole shebang works with heavier rims and tires. Can someone please weigh the stock SVTPP wheels and share the data....

Franz

Speed Freak
Established Member
I'd say you're correct on all counts and add a third whammy, which is the up/down motion of the wheel and suspension and how much harder the whole shebang works with heavier rims and tires. Can someone please weigh the stock SVTPP wheels and share the data....

One of the things that really impressed me about the 2013 Shelby is that the car comes from the factory with FORGED wheels. These are MUCH more expensive to produce and by far better quality than a cast wheel (about twice as strong for the weight too). I would be surprised if you can find a much lighter weight wheel out there. Even if you can, make sure that it is also forged or you are taking a step back in quality. I would gladly sacrifice 1-2 lbs per wheel to stay with the forged set-up if it came down to only a weight difference, but typically a cast wheel will be heavier than a forged one.

Last edited:

FNBADAZ06

Established Member
???

Ever wonder how a 230 hp Ariel Atom can LEAVE one of these GT500s, or how the 0-100-0 world record is held by a car with less than 600 rwhp (Ultima GTR) ?

Weight is EVERYthing when it comes to performance. :burnout:

Boy....we know that one for a fact after Franz's Ariel smoked me from a dig in my Z06 :beer:
Amazing how people under estimate what an impact vehicle weight and mass has on acceleration, deceleration.....hell, changing directions !!!

That darn car come in yet, Franz ?

I'm waiting for some 2013's to show up at the dragstrip...should be a fun comparison :rockon:

Franz

Speed Freak
Established Member
Boy....we know that one for a fact after Franz's Ariel smoked me from a dig in my Z06 :beer:
Amazing how people under estimate what an impact vehicle weight and mass has on acceleration, deceleration.....hell, changing directions !!!

That darn car come in yet, Franz ?

I'm waiting for some 2013's to show up at the dragstrip...should be a fun comparison :rockon:

Hey! Good to hear from you. Haven't seen you on here in the past couple of months.

My car was built 8/15 and is due in to the rail-yard in Mirage this coming weekend for a 9/3 dealer delivery! :rockon:

I would love to go out with you in the Z06 once the 500 comes in. (Although I'll be Sun City driving the car until after it sees 1,000 miles and has had the first oil change.)

I just saw Farmboy's car at the rail-yard this weekend and sent him a couple pics. He should be getting it today or tomorrow. If mine comes in by Sat morning we all need to meet up at the Pavillions on Sat night or something.

Good to hear you're back in action! :beer:

FNBADAZ06

Established Member
Hey! Good to hear from you. Haven't seen you on here in the past couple of months.

My car was built 8/15 and is due in to the rail-yard in Mirage this coming weekend for a 9/3 dealer delivery! :rockon:

I would love to go out with you in the Z06 once the 500 comes in. (Although I'll be Sun City driving the car until after it sees 1,000 miles and has had the first oil change.)

I just saw Farmboy's car at the rail-yard this weekend and sent him a couple pics. He should be getting it today or tomorrow. If mine comes in by Sat morning we all need to meet up at the Pavillions on Sat night or something.

Good to hear you're back in action! :beer:

I've been a busy bee, so no time to monitor or interact with any of the boards lately. In fact, until last week's cruise in support of Speedworld, my car's just been a garage queen :D I took her out to Speedworld this past Saturday night to run some grudge races against a couple fellow local board members....several of them GT500 and Terminator owners/members on this board as well :rockon:.

I'll drop you a line later this week and maybe hookup with you guys for the Pav's, as I haven't been out there in ages.

Can't wait to see your new toy :beer:

Franz

Speed Freak
Established Member
I've been a busy bee, so no time to monitor or interact with any of the boards lately. In fact, until last week's cruise in support of Speedworld, my car's just been a garage queen :D I took her out to Speedworld this past Saturday night to run some grudge races against a couple fellow local board members....several of them GT500 and Terminator owners/members on this board as well :rockon:.

I'll drop you a line later this week and maybe hookup with you guys for the Pav's, as I haven't been out there in ages.

Can't wait to see your new toy :beer:

Sounds great! Hope anyone else following this thread in AZ can join us too!

FNBADAZ06

Established Member
Sounds great! Hope anyone else following this thread in AZ can join us too!

I'll tell them about this and mention this thread. :beer:
I think they hit up the Pav's quite often

They bailed on me the other night for our grudge race , so I had to take it out on a 11 second E85 modified Evo. I gave him two shots.

It was all over by the 60' mark :D

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread