Weight reduction...where to begin?

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
All,

I'm looking to start a thread to remove some excess flab (from the car) without too much impact to practicality. A lightweight battery, removal of sound dampening material, and (temporary) removal of the rear seats might yield a 100lb weight reduction. I would not consider removal of th AC system, but may consider lightweight racing seats. Without too much effort, I think it is possible to shed close to 200lbs. Thoughts?

dustin88lx

Established Member
Look at rear suspension parts

Lower Control Arms
Upper Control Arm
Pan Hard bar
sway bar end links

Up front
K-member
sway bar delete- if you wanted gets rid of sway bar and huge radiator support bracket
a-arms

Could look into aerospace components brake systems which work just as well or better than factory and drop 100lbs in just brakes alone.

Just a start and you actually yield some performance attributes out of it...

Everything that I replaced on the rear roughly weighted 1/2 of what the factory parts did..

the k-member on the front drops 26lbs
the sway bar delete drops another 26lbs

Lots to do along with what you mentioned.

spazpilot

Established Member
All the stuff in the trunk. Carpet, airpump, etc.. May give you another 20lbs. Personally just do a pulley and tune and keep everything alone though. Bet you'll yeild same results.

Jroc

Established Member
Doing a good full SS exhaust system tends to save upwards of 40+ lbs on a Mustang. I can't figure out why all these GT owners want to use GT500 mufflers, and Boss owners want to use their factory systems because of this fact let along a good system usually improves the sound quality as well.

If you have a Shaker 1000 remove the sub.(I think the mustangs still use the Shaker systems) This mod saved a lot of weight on the older GT500's.

I agree get some lightweight seats, a rear seat delete, good aluminum lower control arms, maybe some quality 2 piece rotors. Remember that reducing un-sprung weigh and rotating mass will yield better results than just reducing overall weight.

The DS is no long a weight savings mod on a GT500. LOL

Last edited:

farmboy90

Established Member
Is this just an overall effort, or do you also want to balance the existing weight better? If so, you might consider a battery relocation to the rear. That swings the precentage by 1-2% from the front to the rear.

finsrin

Established Member
Working on dealer to give me credit for new car battery and replace it with Lithium-Ion battery before delivery.
Dealer install light weight radiator support.
Together boith drop front end weight ~32-35 pounds.
Equal to some kinda HP increase for acceleration.

Last edited:

Franz

Speed Freak
Established Member
662HP - Dumb ass project!

???

Ever wonder how a 230 hp Ariel Atom can LEAVE one of these GT500s, or how the 0-100-0 world record is held by a car with less than 600 rwhp (Ultima GTR) ?

Weight is EVERYthing when it comes to performance. :burnout:

finsrin

Established Member
BTW > Track Package is 35 pounds. If you don't need it for your kind of driving, you really don't need it !

R U TRIPIN

Established Member
BTW > Track Package is 35 pounds. If you don't need it for your kind of driving, you really don't need it !

We all can loss a little weight. Just leave the wife or girlfriend home:banana: lol! Heck I leave my wife home all the time so I don't have to hear her say slow down, do you need to drive so fast? No I don't but I want to is what I tell her.

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
Is this just an overall effort, or do you also want to balance the existing weight better? If so, you might consider a battery relocation to the rear. That swings the precentage by 1-2% from the front to the rear.

Farmboy90,

Better weight distribution and desire to have this car handle better is the goal. I'm coming from cars which (IMO) handle much better than stock Mustangs do, and the power for the Shelby is already there. Weight reduction helps the car stop, accelerate, and turn better. I believe you realize approximately 1 HP for every 15LBS removed. Battery relocation sounds like a great inexpensive project, along with aftermarket suspension components and brake upgrades will likely be accomplished first.

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
Working on dealer to give me credit for new car battery and replace it with Lithium-Ion battery before delivery.
Dealer install light weight radiator support.
Drops front end weight ~32-35 pounds.
Equal to some kinda HP increase for acceleration.

I had an Odyssey 15LB battery when I was auto crossing my '02 M3, and the battery was already in the trunk. The stock battery weighed more than 45LBS

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
Doing a good full SS exhaust system tends to save upwards of 40+ lbs on a Mustang. I can't figure out why all these GT owners want to use GT500 mufflers, and Boss owners want to use their factory systems because of this fact let along a good system usually improves the sound quality as well.

If you have a Shaker 1000 remove the sub.(I think the mustangs still use the Shaker systems) This mod saved a lot of weight on the older GT500's.

I agree get some lightweight seats, a rear seat delete, good aluminum lower control arms, maybe some quality 2 piece rotors. Remember that reducing un-sprung weigh and rotating mass will yield better results than just reducing overall weight.

The DS is no long a weight savings mod on a GT500. LOL

Yep, I'm getting the SVTPP primarily for the limited slip, but hadn't given too much thought to the weight of the wheels. I'm certain that someone makes decent 2 piece rotors for unsprung weight savings but haven't researched it. I'm using restraint NOT to order any power adding bolt-ons. I don't even have a build date yet!

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member

I will likely autox the car and have a few HPDEs too. I don't think the track package is worth the money for how I'll be using the car

specizripn

Established Member
MMR was selling a carbon fiber transmission tunnel, which is 75 lbs lighter than stock, and the NHRA funny car guys use them because they are very strong so if your transmission/driveshaft/input shaft blows, your much better protected. I think they were $750. Good chunk of weight removed without touching the interior.

Jroc

Established Member
Another good place to loose weight that is a lot more beneficial than just for the cars performance is in the drivers belly. I remember talking about this several years back when I still had my Terminator. Many people driving the cars where in the 250/300 lb range, and if they would get themselves in the proper weight for their size range them they would actually have lost in some cases 100+ lbs of race weight. :read:

Just something to consider, and maybe something to help motivate you to get in shape if your out of it a little bit. lol :beer:

dustin88lx

Established Member
MMR was selling a carbon fiber transmission tunnel, which is 75 lbs lighter than stock, and the NHRA funny car guys use them because they are very strong so if your transmission/driveshaft/input shaft blows, your much better protected. I think they were $750. Good chunk of weight removed without touching the interior.

How does the existing tunnel come out, is it cut out or what?

GT500wantabe

Established Member
I had an Odyssey 15LB battery when I was auto crossing my '02 M3, and the battery was already in the trunk. The stock battery weighed more than 45LBS
I've ran the Braille B3121 without any problems. Weighs 21#. It's probably a little better for street use than the 15# batteries.

Last edited:

specizripn

Established Member
How does the existing tunnel come out, is it cut out or what?

You know, I'm not really sure, I just noticed them on the ModularMustangRacing website, and I've heard of the carbon fiber ones being used in the NHRA, but I don't know how the procedure goes, but Im sure someone at MMR, or someone who works on mustangs, or has built a race car etc. might be able to chime in.

Users who are viewing this thread