Weird noise (feels like loss of power) Help Please

ShiftinGT

Established Member
Hey guys short story, drove to work this morning and my car ran fine. On my way back home I noticed the car was running weird. Didn't seem to have all the power it has been. I have just recently added a Sctx4 tune (87 performance) from Bama, but it's ran fine for the week that I have had it on there until just now. If anyone can lead me in the right direction that would be appreciated.

I do have the ability to datalog I would just need the correct PID's to select and someone to interpret the data. :??:

Here's a short video with the noise I just recorded. [video=youtube;QxxX0t4TA7E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxxX0t4TA7E[/video]

bobby_0081

Established Member
Hey guys short story, drove to work this morning and my car ran fine. On my way back home I noticed the car was running weird. Didn't seem to have all the power it has been. I have just recently added a Sctx4 tune (87 performance) from Bama, but it's ran fine for the week that I have had it on there until just now. If anyone can lead me in the right direction that would be appreciated.

I do have the ability to datalog I would just need the correct PID's to select and someone to interpret the data. :??:

Here's a short video with the noise I just recorded. [video=youtube;QxxX0t4TA7E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxxX0t4TA7E[/video]

Check the plugs and coils. I had a COP go bad on me the other day. I changed all eight since Summit Racing has the Accel 2V coils for 169 w/free shipping.

AMWill

ShiftinGT,

Have you had a chance to contact the Bama Team on the phone yet or email them your datalog? They may be able to see if there's a mechanical issue through your logs. As I don't think this is a tune issue, considering the car was running fine for an entire week and then the symptom arose.

Give me a shout if you need any further assistance contacting the Bama Team or with anything else. I want to make sure you're taken care of!

Shane

ShiftinGT

Established Member
Yes Shane I have sent an email yesterday and was emailed by Ryan. He told me to check my air filter because my car was running rich. The air filter was dirty to say the least. After I replaced the filter today I cleaned the MAF sensor. Took it out for a datalog and sent him the results. Waiting to see if everything is running smoothly now or something needs to be modified.

AMWill

Okay great! Glad to hear Ryan from Bama is already back in touch with you. Hopefully he'll see some results from the cleaned air filter and MAF. You'll have to let me know what he says when you hear back.

Shane

ShiftinGT

Established Member
He said that it's looking a little better on that part but it's having a problem where it's running lean on mostly bank two when cruising at part throttle. He told me to check the intake and everything looks fine. What else would cause this?

Posted via Topify using iPhone/iPad

bobby_0081

Established Member
He said that it's looking a little better on that part but it's having a problem where it's running lean on mostly bank two when cruising at part throttle. He told me to check the intake and everything looks fine. What else would cause this?

Posted via Topify using iPhone/iPad

Fuel pump going bad is a guess. Does it have an exhaust leak? You may also have a clogged injector.

AMWill

There could be an exhaust leak on bank 2 (driver side). Check the header/exhaust manifold bolts to the heads. Make sure they're torqued properly and there's no black exhaust soot showing around the flanges. Also, check where the mid-pipe mates with the exhaust headers/manifold. There's most likely a leak at one of these two places. Take a look and let me know!

I don't think the fuel pump is bad. If it was, both banks would be somewhat equally lean.

Shane

ShiftinGT

Established Member
Good idea Shane, there very well may be an exhaust leak. I've owned the car for a few months and one thin I noticed is around 2600-3300 RPM the exhaust is a different pitch sound. Doesn't sound normal. My dad said it may be the exhaust rattling because it may not have been done right.

If anyone is interested here is the datalogs before and after the air filter and MAF changes.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dl5wa4er3fmcvrl/Before AF&MAF (Rich).csv
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2i1udg1tpfrq0e9/After air filter and MAf clean.csv

AMWill

Mid throttle is most popular for being able to audibly be hear exhaust leaks. Especially with you bringing up 2600-3300rpm, I'd imagine there certainly is a leak in your exhaust system. Which would be the lead cause of your other rich/lean symptoms.

Did you get a chance to look over the exhaust this past weekend? Any luck?

Shane

Users who are viewing this thread