Weird Smell in cab/trunk

MG0h3

Established Member
I have not noticed anything different under throttle...but this is a new occurrence so I will take note of this moving forward. Is there any other way to determine if it is a plugged cat outside of bogging under throttle or the CEL?

Plumb a vacuum/pressure gauge into the exhaust in front of the cats.

Suppose it could be the clutch but I don't know if that smells like sulfur.

merkyworks

Established Member
Back when I was a kid I remember my dad's old car having a really bad sulfur smell at one point. He took it to a repair shop and they said it was caused by the car running to lean and a bad cat.

svink32

Established Member
Thank you all for your advice!!! I love this forum...

Update: audio system seems to be completely stock, and there is no fuel pump booster on the vehicle. Drove it this morning, no differently than any other time out and had no issues and no smell...will keep you all updated.

Thanks again!

svink32

Established Member
***UPDATE***

So since my initial post 10-11 days ago, I have not had any issues. Drove the car as normal since then, with the occasional moderate driving style. Maybe put 50-60 miles on her.

This past Saturday afternoon I was out on the highway, car had been running for about 25 minutes, running great, no issues. I came across a new(er) m6 and a new(er) 911 and we were just having a little fun. I had the car in 4th gear around 4,500 RPM's for maybe a mile? Then brought it up to 6k RPM's and shifted into 5th and exited the highway. Once I came to a stop, with windows up, I had that same original smell of just lit fireworks/sulfur in my cab. I drove the car to my destination and shut her down. The very faint smell lingered, mainly in the cab for 4-5 minutes and then disappeared. No smell under the hood, nothing was leaking underneath and the smell really couldn't be found in the trunk, whereas last time I did smell it there.

The car sat about 2 hours and then I drove her home and back into the garage a few miles down the road. No issues.

Any ideas???

Should I take this to get looked at, and where would I even start? A tuner/mod shop or Ford?

Thanks in advanced for your help guys!

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
With WOT pulls in high gear, with no other noticeable effects, I think fullboogie may be right and it's the clutch. I don't think you're going to smell the cats at speed with the window's up.

svink32

Established Member
With WOT pulls in high gear, with no other noticeable effects, I think fullboogie may be right and it's the clutch. I don't think you're going to smell the cats at speed with the window's up.

I am hoping it isn't the clutch but of course it very well could be. I haven't felt it slip at all...any other indications where this may be the case?

SCGallo2

Balanced performance
Established Member
Premium Member
I first noticed my original clutch slipping during WOT pulls, 4-5 shift... about 1.5 seconds or so before it would fully grab; never got the burnt clutch smell in that situation though. Mine finally gave up on the drag strip. You'll know it's done when you hammer down in 4th and RPMs rise but speed doesn't...

svink32

Established Member
Start watching your tach when you do those pulls. It's it's slipping you might see some erratic movement in rpm.

yeah see haven't had any slippage or noticed this in my tach...will pay closer attention but I def would have felt it.

svink32

Established Member
I first noticed my original clutch slipping during WOT pulls, 4-5 shift... about 1.5 seconds or so before it would fully grab; never got the burnt clutch smell in that situation though. Mine finally gave up on the drag strip. You'll know it's done when you hammer down in 4th and RPMs rise but speed doesn't...

I guess I may just have to diagnose the hard way ha!

Harry08

Established Member
Under boost these cars make LOTS of power/torque. If you are in boost at medium/high climbing RPM's and downshift under throttle the clutch very well could be slipping and thats what you are smelling. These motors are not like n/a motors or imports that you can downshift at will with no ill effects. The torque we produce is tremendous and the stock clutch won't last long under those kind of driving situations.

Users who are viewing this thread