Weird sound! Is this normal?

Brutal Metal

Established Member
It sounds like some sort of piping or vacuum leak whistling, check all your coupling connections. Is the sound coming directly from the head unit itself it's hard to tell from the video? You should do another one with the video shooting right in the engine bay

svtcobra440

Established Member
Thanks! I will check more tonight and tomorrow. As for the fluid, I checked that before the initial startup, so I'm good there. As for the air leaks go, I'm not 100% sure. I know a fair amount of people posted saying they had leaks, so they took a ratchet wrench and really snugged up the worm clamps and got rid of any leaks, so I took extra care to make all of my clamps very tight before finishing the install.

Last edited:

svtcobra440

Established Member
So I looked around some more after work yesterday, and checked all of my clamps, and everything is tight. I found that the noise only seems to happen between 1500 and 2000 rpm. No higher, no lower..which I find sort of odd. I took another video. I'll upload it today.

svtcobra440

Established Member
Here's another video that Brutal Metal requested. I'm starting to wonder about the blow off. The guy before me put a long tube on it and then put the cone filter on the end of said tube. He did it to make it quieter. I'm wondering if the tuner adjusted anything when he did that. Long shot I know, but I'm going to look at every possibility.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ewi3mQD1Kx8

01yellercobra

Established Member
Put a vacuum pump on the BOV and keep it open. Then do the same rev. If the sound goes away you know it's not the head unit. If it stays then it might be something with the blower itself.

svtcobra440

Established Member
I dont know. The guy who sold me the blower pulled it off his Boss because he traded it in on a new car. That guy has since (two weeks now) kept in contact with me, and been a very straight forward person. He could have cut contact completely especially if he sold me a bad unit. I have talked to the shop twice now that did the install and uninstall, and they remember this setup as clear as day. They are suspicious of the blow off valve. Not sure if thats what it really is, but I feel that if it were a bad unit..they wouldn't be this willing to talk and this helpful. Not to mention it came off a car that was traded in, so its not like it was pulled off for an unkown reason. I don't know though. Its driving me nuts.

svtcobra440

Established Member
New video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeCC-LuZLvM&feature=youtu.be

This is the first drive I did for data logging purposes. Did about 40% throttle or so here. I understand the tune is rough, but its the first one. The guy tuning plans to send me about 5-6 more before we have it perfected.

I snooped around last night and cant seem to find anything! I don't think I have any air leaks. I checked with soapy water and didn't see any bubbles. I don't know. My head hurts.

ashleyroachclip

Established Member
It would be a vacuum , so you would not see bubbles.
I think you have a crack in a line, or as said the bov .

svtcobra440

Established Member
Thats what a guy at work is saying. I'm going to look at that closer, and am going Friday morning to have it checked for boost leaks and vacuum leaks. Should have more answers by Friday.

svtcobra440

Established Member
Problem solved! I pulled the bov off and started the car, and did some light revs, and the sound disappeared. Put the bov back on, did the same thing, and sure enough the sound came back! This is what Vortech said when they watched three of my videos.

"How old is your kit or is it a used kit? It sounds like the bypass valve.. the original valve design was made to make the whistle sound because we got so many calls for a noisier valve.. so that’s why you hear that whistle.. There is a filter on the valve that usually quiets that sound down a little."

I was able to adjust the valve so the sound is gone, but not sure if it's ideal for the performance of the valve. We'll see. If not I'll sell it and buy a Tial or something. Anyway, the problem is gone and I learned something!

Thanks for all the input!

Users who are viewing this thread