Weld craft not widening super snake rims anymore

03 KB Sonic Blue

Established Member
Has anyone heard about this?

I was about to pull the tigger on some alcoa's but since they don't widen them any more that kinda slowed me down.

It says on the website "no longer widening shelby super snake rims". Does that mean just ss stamped wheels or all super snake style rims in general?

I sent them a email on Friday but haven't heard back yet.

Thanks to anyone who may have some info.

03 KB Sonic Blue

Established Member

Thanks for the link.

So is it just because one set had a issue they don't want the responsibility of working on these rims any more?
From what I gathered in the link no one is really sure. Could be the new band supplier they were using?

Any body have another company they recommend?

Last edited:

2nd2none

Established Member
Thanks for the link.

So is it just because one set had a issue they don't want the responsibility of working on these rims any more?
From what I gathered in the link no one is really sure. Could be the new band supplier they were using?

Any body have another company they recommend?

eric vaughn machine: aluminum wheel widening and narrowing

People that have had him widen their rims have been very happy. I was going to use him but found a post on a forum that someone sent him rims earlier this year and basically got them back months later just as he sent them. I guess things came up with Eric and he didn't have time to do the rims. Since my car is a daily driver and I'm currently driving around on my drag radials I wanted to make sure I got my wheels done asap so I sent them to Weldcraft. They received them on 11/10. The message on their site went up on 11/15. I have not heard anything from them so I'm assuming mine will be one of the last ones they're doing

03 KB Sonic Blue

Established Member

People that have had him widen their rims have been very happy. I was going to use him but found a post on a forum that someone sent him rims earlier this year and basically got them back months later just as he sent them. I guess things came up with Eric and he didn't have time to do the rims. Since my car is a daily driver and I'm currently driving around on my drag radials I wanted to make sure I got my wheels done asap so I sent them to Weldcraft. They received them on 11/10. The message on their site went up on 11/15. I have not heard anything from them so I'm assuming mine will be one of the last ones they're doing

I read your posted about Eric on another site. It makes me leery tho after hearing about that one customer waited all that time for nothing. I'm gonna see what weldcraft says and may contact Eric if it falls through.

Im in no hurry to put wheels on just wanted to get wheels bought and widened before they were all gone. Esp since I've always wanted these rims.
Inthe back of my mind tho is what's going to replace them from Shelby. :shrug: no one has heard or read anything.

CPRsm

Dang. Never heard anything about Eric. Used him for a set of Shelby rims on a 69 here. Like his way better than Weldcrafts.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Has anyone heard about this?

I was about to pull the tigger on some alcoa's but since they don't widen them any more that kinda slowed me down.

It says on the website "no longer widening shelby super snake rims". Does that mean just ss stamped wheels or all super snake style rims in general?

I sent them a email on Friday but haven't heard back yet.

Thanks to anyone who may have some info.

The Alcoa's that were widened and spoken about on the TS Super Snake forum were the generic SPP Alcoa's as far as I know. They had been power coated and sent to Weldcraft for widening to 11.75, and apparently there was an issue which required replacements to be found.

Since all Super Snake Alcoa production is soon to be, if not already stopped, these wheels are going to be crazy $$$ to replace. My guess is that Weldcraft does not want to take that chance? :shrug:

I also have an original pair of Super Snake 9's that I need widened to 10's. I would be interested in what reply you receive from James.

R

Last edited:

2nd2none

Established Member
Dang. Never heard anything about Eric. Used him for a set of Shelby rims on a 69 here. Like his way better than Weldcrafts.

heres the thread I was talking about.

[ame=http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19550]BEWARE - Eric Vaughn Machine * MAD PROPS - Lenny @ Inland Wheel - StanceWorks[/ame]

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Glad I had Weldcraft do mine a few weeks ago. Since that db Alex the muffler guy sold me a broken rim (thanks again for ripping me off, Alex) , I too had to get a new rim from Shelby. Guess I just made it under the wire.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

Last edited:

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
No, people do that all the time. I am one of the few that put the 20x10's up front and widened the 20x9 to 11.75.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member

I was going to use them to begin with since they are somewhat local, but ended up going to Weldcraft since that where everyone was sending their SS wheels.

Oh well. No more Alcoas for me anyways. :burnout:

03 KB Sonic Blue

Established Member
They are not doing ss stamped ones at this time. He said check back in 2 weeks as they are trying something different with wheels.

"Yes ... just the Super snake wheels ... working out some issues ... we will get back to modifying them soon.
We can modify yours now though.
Did you call and speak with me ?"
James

"Trying a new idea in the next two weeks ... check back with me then."
James

2nd2none

Established Member
They are not doing ss stamped ones at this time. He said check back in 2 weeks as they are trying something different with wheels.

"Yes ... just the Super snake wheels ... working out some issues ... we will get back to modifying them soon.
We can modify yours now though.
Did you call and speak with me ?"
James

"Trying a new idea in the next two weeks ... check back with me then."
James

"Yes that’s true ... I did post that on our website.
It is specific to the Super Snake wheels.
However your wheels and one other customers Shelby Super Snake wheels will get completed in the normal time frame.
Your wheels arrived on 11-10 ...
I have suspended those wheels temporarily until we work out a better way to finish down the weld beads and deal with some of them having too much run out.
I can and will personally work on your wheels to make sure there are no issues.
You should expect to hear from us around Dec. the 9th.
I do plan on modifying those wheels again in the near future.
Can’t believe though that Cruzin Customs refuses to sell only two wheels.
They have a lock on those wheels and are gouging folks.
We wanted to try a few things and I tried to purchase some of their wheels.
No discounts ... no exceptions ....
James"

When he says "Super Snake" wheels he means all of the Shelby Alcoas and not just the ones that come on an actual Super Snake. Mine are not actual Super Snake ones.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
When he says "Super Snake" wheels he means all of the Shelby Alcoas and not just the ones that come on an actual Super Snake. Mine are not actual Super Snake ones.

That is good news................the part that this is just a temporary issue.

My guess was that it was All Alcoa's, not just the Super Snake originals.

R

03 KB Sonic Blue

Established Member
Had my gf talk to Eric today about widening my rims. Gonna give him a try since people seem to be happy with him. Will post up pictures and impressions when I get them in (3-4) weeks since Shelby wont ship for another week and half.

Anything special I need to ask or tell him other than widen to 11.75"? Maybe grind down the welds or leave it as is?

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Had my gf talk to Eric today about widening my rims. Gonna give him a try since people seem to be happy with him. Will post up pictures and impressions when I get them in (3-4) weeks since Shelby wont ship for another week and half.

Anything special I need to ask or tell him other than widen to 11.75"? Maybe grind down the welds or leave it as is?

From what I remember on the TS Super Snake forum when Eric was discussed, I think his finished widening process only had one bead (weld). I believe the Alcoa that he widened had a replacement inner/back section. I don't know how else you would get by with one bead when widening?? :shrug:

If this is the case, and the rear/inner portion of the wheel is not the original, all of the stamped Alcoa information may be lost? :??:

One bead did look Very nice/clean................:thumbsup:

R

Last edited:

03 KB Sonic Blue

Established Member
From what I remember on the TS Super Snake forum when Eric was discussed, I think his finished widening process only had one bead (weld). I believe the Alcoa that he widened had a replacement inner/back section. I don't know how else you would get by with one bead when widening?? :shrug:

If this is the case, and the rear/inner portion of the wheel is not the original, all of the stamped Alcoa information may be lost? :??:

One bead did look Very nice/clean................:thumbsup:

R

Talked to Eric today. He received my 2 rims from Shelby faster than I thought.
I talked to him breifly about what he was gonna do. He said he cuts 2" off rim and then welds in a new inner section adding 3.75" inner hoop. I don't mind if I loose the alcoa info off as I know it's real rims and worth the trade off. He said should have wheels done or be working on them by end of next week.
He also said after finishing up wheels he would clean them then scotch brite the inside of the rim to help make the new material match the original rim. Said it would look good.
He seems very knowledgeable about what he is doing.

Gonna pm you to start talking tires and best sizes.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread