Weld RTS wheels came today!

Jedisalami

Established Member
Weld RT-S are my wheel of choice for the track and they are a very nice looking wheel. Recently I decided to try some Racestar wheels since they are direct drill. Otherwise I would have passed on them. I am very happy with the fit and wheel finish. Where they lack, weight. There is no comparison to the Weld wheels there however they are good enough for a street wheel with an occasional strip run here and there in my book. A couple of pics:

IMG050.jpg

IMG047.jpg

IMG046.jpg

careful when you park, a child or small horse could crawl up in your wheel gap

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Use common sense like taking corners at reasonable speeds, avoiding pot holes, give yourself extra stopping distance, etc. and they work well.
Or until a car pulls out in front of you and you slam into them. :kaboom:

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
Where they lack, weight. There is no comparison to the Weld wheels there however they are good enough for a street wheel with an occasional strip run here and there in my book.

How much lighter are the Welds over the Racestars?

Mike

SILV03MustangGT

Han Brolo CDR 5.Broliance
Established Member
I was going to get the RTR wheels but after hearing they will not take a tire bigger than a 275 i think ill be getting the SVTPP wheels or 18inch RT-S not sure.

wbt

Banned
probably a dumb question, but do you use these only for the track or do you roll with them as a daily driver?

Racestars are my DD setup.

Or until a car pulls out in front of you and you slam into them. :kaboom:

That's like saying a meteor is going to land on you or you are going to get struck by lightning.

How much lighter are the Welds over the Racestars?

Mike

I measured a 16lbs. difference in the fronts(8 ea.) and a 24lbs.(12 ea.) difference in the rears between my Weld and Racestar setup. Take into account different tires as well which make up some of that.

Last edited:

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
That's like saying a meteor is going to land on you or you are going to get struck by lightning.
Yeah, because your chances of not being able to stop/steer to avoid a car have the same chances! :lol:

What planet are you from?

wbt

Banned
Yeah, because your chances of not being able to stop/steer to avoid a car have the same chances! :lol:

What planet are you from?

Myself and other's have been DD'ing with skinnies for decades without issue. A question was asked about it and I responded in kind based off my experience.

I find it rather doubtful your condescending posts are going to make a difference. If you don't want to DD with them, that is your choice. Belittling others because they do...that will get you a GFY. :nono:

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Myself and other's have been DD'ing with skinnies for decades without issue. A question was asked about it and I responded in kind based off my experience.

I find it rather doubtful your condescending posts are going to make a difference. If you don't want to DD with them, that is your choice. Belittling others because they do...that will get you a GFY. :nono:
Is that what you think it is?

It's called a wake up call. I've been doing this since the mid 1980's. Long before a lot of people on here were even born.

The old Fox Body fad back in the day was to go to the junk yard and get aluminum spare tires from convertibles and use those as front runners. Again, dangerous and stupid! I know I was there, been there done that.

I have had the fun of skidding in a straight line trying to steer when I couldn't. The small Volkswagen front tires are no where near enough.

But if you want to endanger others lives go right ahead and be nieve and foolish. You will be the one with a wrecked car and guilty conscience from whoever you hit/injure/kill.

If you think that is belittling wait to the judge gets ahlod of you when you end up killing someone innocent. Then everone on the jury will tell you to GFY! :loser:

scotmach

Established Member
Is that what you think it is?

It's called a wake up call. I've been doing this since the mid 1980's. Long before a lot of people on here were even born.

The old Fox Body fad back in the day was to go to the junk yard and get aluminum spare tires from convertibles and use those as front runners. Again, dangerous and stupid! I know I was there, been there done that.

I have had the fun of skidding in a straight line trying to steer when I couldn't. The small Volkswagen front tires are no where near enough.

But if you want to endanger others lives go right ahead and be nieve and foolish. You will be the one with a wrecked car and guilty conscience from whoever you hit/injure/kill.

If you think that is belittling wait to the judge gets ahlod of you when you end up killing someone innocent. Then everone on the jury will tell you to GFY! :loser:
Not sure what your problem is but he isn't twisting anyone's arm here. All he did was state that HE uses them as a daily driver. You're coming off very badly here. And this isn't the first time.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Not sure what your problem is but he isn't twisting anyone's arm here. All he did was state that HE uses them as a daily driver. You're coming off very badly here. And this isn't the first time.
The only thing I am trying to convey here is that DD with skinny's and drag radials is not safe. Period!

I speak from experience and like to share so others can learn from poor choices.

If that is coming off badly then so be it. I will stand firm on this belief that it is dangerous. I would rather come off bad and save someone from wadding up their car and injuring themselves or others then to cheer on and encourage this dagerous practice.

Enough of this. Back on topic.

I appoligize to the OP for getting off topic.

Wheels look great!

wnt2gofst

Banned
I rode with bigs/little's on my manual 5.0 for 8 months no issue. Did same thing in my auto 5.0 for about 3 months. No issue. I had people cut me off, hard rain. As wbt mentioned just have use common sense while driving. Only reason I bought street rims was I got tired of buying a set of DR's every 2-3 months since I DD my car. Bit hey some people I guess can't handle driving with them everyday.

from the famous tapatalk.

FoofKiller

I> /\/\
Established Member
I agree with 04sleeper completely. Running front runners on the street not only dangerous for yourself and the people around you, but it's also illegal in many states across the U.S.

From personal experience, I can tell you accidents can and will happen, it's just a matter of when. When hit the brakes hard on front runners, the wheels will begin to hop/skid and will fold over busting the suspension the car will hit the ground, then at that point you have no control of where the car is going. All it takes is some uneven ground or a pothole as well.

Anyone who has been in this hobby for any amount of extended time can say "I've been doing this for X amount of time and never had an accident". All it takes is once and hopefully you don't kill yourself or a minivan with a family in it.

Users who are viewing this thread