Well. Guess it's engine rebuild time....

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
Started my car for the first time since putting it away in November and it smoked like a train and ran like shit. Drained the oil and found lots of coolant in the oil. I waiting to save some more money for this but I guess the time has come. Question is, am I better off starting with a built short block like mmr? Or pull my engine to bare block and rebuild with new parts? I'd probably go stroker either way. But I guess if prefer the most cost effective option.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
So it was fine upon putting it away for winter storage? Seems odd.

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
That's what I'm saying. Havnt gotten far cause I had other things to do. The more I think about it the more I think it could be the blower? It's a liquid cooled kenne bell with a i/c tank in the trunk. When I tried to rev it up it would bog and try to die. So maybe it was forcing more coolant into the engine? Sucks I have work tomorrow. But my worry is that I ran it long enough to potentially do damage to the bearings.

Last edited:

ITSTOCK

Established Member
You can check the intercooler level, but pulling the blower is going to show you the proof. My intercooler froze up this past winter and I had to replace it. Based on what you're saying, I would guess with pretty high confidence that you had the intercooler freeze up.

As long as you didn't rev it up or run it for extended periods of time, just replace the intercooler, do a couple oil changes, and get it back on the road.

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
You can check the intercooler level, but pulling the blower is going to show you the proof. My intercooler froze up this past winter and I had to replace it. Based on what you're saying, I would guess with pretty high confidence that you had the intercooler freeze up.

As long as you didn't rev it up or run it for extended periods of time, just replace the intercooler, do a couple oil changes, and get it back on the road.
well, if it does need an engine then blower has to come off anyway so I guess ill start there. Once its off was it obvious? like a hole in it? And yeah, was ran for 5 mins max and any time I tried to rev it, it would bog way down.

ITSTOCK

Established Member
This happened one night of sitting out in low 20* weather. I put anti-freeze in but never cycled it (yes, I'm an idiot). There are some subtle signs that it will be leaking, like a murky fluid sitting on the lower intake, or clean spots on the intercooler.
6A1ECE8E-DD0D-457B-9E5B-02825B7EE84D_zps7tpd5j9a.gif

But all you have to do is put a hose to one of the ports. My leak was on the top side of the intercooler (not visible when bolted to the blower, it needs to be taken off the blower)

3C36FBFF-A9ED-44AF-AC38-E5BBCF5DDCFD_zpsq1ikh7qf.gif

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
OK, awesome. I bought my car with the current trunk tank set up. But, I thought it had anti-freeze in it. I could be wrong tho.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Hopefully it's just the intercooler and your motor is ok. Good luck let us know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread