Well I have some answers.. which made new questions..

Pock

It’s an addiction
Established Member
Some of you may remember me from the last while and I'm sure there are a few new guys out there!.... If you remember I ran into some issues with my kids and I returned my car to stock for some quick money. Well, the family issues are slowing working out with the kiddo's which is good (wow what a long story about this)!!! But more is changing. Fiance and I are getting hitched soon which is a great thing and I finally have the notification of where I am going(Air Force) and I wasn't even close to the location with my guesses...

So, the car (my 2003 vert) is stock and perfect still.. only 25K miles!

The Air Force is moving us to Germany!

Well now the questions that run through my head...

Even though my car is perfect, it is aging do I take it with me?

If not, what to get.. (I can hear the groans now) a 08+ C6 or 2010 GT500. I know these two are nothing alike but I like parts of both. I have looked at both and the decision is tough... I keep telling myself I will drive on the Autobahn soon so the Vette would be better... but I love these cars! Hey on this note, how well do you GT500 onwers do against the LS3 when your car was mostly stock? I know the GT500 has the potential to be a beast for much less money... but speaking mostly stock cars.. See below.

Important! Which ever I do decide it will remain mostly stock except things like an intake and exhaust due to no tuners over there and me needing a car with nothing more than normal issues.

Do the GT500's only have power drivers seats? The dealer I was at yesterday offered to put a power pass seat in for free if I bought the GT500. :shrug: This is a big deal because my girl is a little on the short side and she has real trouble seeing over the dash on the passenger side. Like only see's the sky which means car sickness :xpl: Is there a spacer for the seat availible?

Any insight from owners or others with experience would help.. Please be brutally honest though because it's not like I'm going to be able to say damn I should have bought the other and go get it. I will be stuck with it for four years!!

I'll post this in a few places so please don't jump on me I just need to ensure I get the right people to see this.

Thanks all!! :beer:

Last edited:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Do the GT500's only have power drivers seats? The dealer I was at yesterday offered to put a power pass seat in for free if I bought the GT500. :shrug: tis is a big deal because my girl is a little on the short side and she has real trouble seeing over the dash on the passenger side. Like only see's the sky which means car sickness :xpl: Is there a spacer for the seat availible?
Thanks all!! :beer:

Yes on the driver P/Seat..............

2008_0419robert0125-1.jpg

R

Pock

It’s an addiction
Established Member
^^ Power drivers seat we know about but we need a power passenger seat or a solution to make it higher.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
^^ Power drivers seat we know about but we need a power passenger seat or a solution to make it higher.

Sorry about that, I thought you were asking. If your dealer was offering you an option for the passenger side (power), I would be interested in what seat track assy. they are going to use?

R

Pock

It’s an addiction
Established Member
Sorry about that, I thought you were asking. If your dealer was offering you an option for the passenger side (power), I would be interested in what seat track assy. they are going to use?

R

Me too. I guess they had moddify another one and they know of a solution... I was kinda iffy. Will the GT seat tracks work with the Comfort package? The GT has 6 way power front seats.. both driver and pass.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Me too. I guess they had moddify another one and they know of a solution... I was kinda iffy. Will the GT seat tracks work with the Comfort package? The GT has 6 way power front seats.. both driver and pass.

I don't know about the current 2010 Mustang line-up, but as far as I know, the previous Mustangs, 2007-2009, none had a power passenger seat option. You are saying the new Mustang GT has driver and passenger P/Seat? The 2008 Mustang showroom brochure shows 6 way drivers power seat only.

My first question to my dealership would be the safety aspect of something they have "added" when it comes to seating.

If the 2010 has a passenger P/seat option, it may be a direct fit. I'm just surprised that the top of the line GT500 does not have this as a standard feature.

R

Last edited:

Pock

It’s an addiction
Established Member
Ya the 2010 GT Premium has an optional comfort package that includes P/front seats. The dealer had like three of them and it was able to raise way more than enough for her. We asked the exact thing you said... Why the hell would a GT have this but not the GT500... Dealer answer; to save weight. I laughed...

They said the safety would not be an issue and the warranty would cover it..

Would paying sticker be worth it?

Hey one other thing, how does the NAV work in these? Satellite or Disk? I'm curious since it will go to Europe.

Last edited:

Colleton

Established Member
Nav is disk based, you'd need a map disk for Europe to use the nav system in Germany. you could probably buy a disk from a German Ford dealer, but whether they would work or not on our nav system is another question.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
ill say just stick with the 03 cobra, it works good now an the GT500 in stock makes a nice ride, but the 03 stock feels like it has more power. plus save money an get a GT500 or C6 when you get back to the states

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Having lived in Germany for several years and driven all over the EU, I'd opt for the Z06. I assume you'll have a second ride with a back seat if you get the Z06? There is a lot more to offer than the autobahn....tons of great roads/highways all over Germany and the EU for that matter. You will be able to drive to Austria, Italy, Austria, Switzerland, etc. Plan on road trips (and babysitters!) . Bear in mind that Germany/Austria/Switzerland can get a lot of snow, depending on where you will be. Snow tires are mandatory too (should be in the US too IMHO.)

If it will be your only car, consider an AWD turbo car of some sort...LOTS of tuners for those things over there.

I wouldn't sweat bolt-on mods - Lund can datalog and email you the tune if you get the GT500. Especially considering that you will have access to some great tracks there. Mod away.

Last edited:

Colleton

Established Member
I've lived in Germany a total of 9 years and am there (TDY) right now. If I were to bring a GT500, or any high HP RWD car, to Germany it would be garaged in the winter. Too cold, and too much snow, ice, and black ice on the roads in the winter. Not to mention salt/sand.

We drove through a snow storm going through Austria into Germany this past weekend. I can't imagine being out in something like that in my GT500.

evasive has a point about handling when he mentioned getting the Z06. There are lots of narrow curvy roads here, and many new airmen find out the hard way that they aren't as good a driver as they thought they were. I'd still get the GT500, but I'd have some suspension work done before shipping the car over here. Maybe the FRPP handling pack and a good adjustable panhard bar or the fays2 watts link. Also, better tires. Your car needs to be able to handle the twisties fairly well over here if you want to have fun with it.

This last bit is independent of what car you buy, but keep in mind that it is illegal to wash your car by hand in your driveway in Germany. You have to take it to a government approved car wash that is capable of filtering contaminates out of the wash water. Seriously. I'd loose my mind trying to keep my black GT500 clean and swirl free over here.

JMO, YMMV.

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Agreed, the GT500 would certainly need suspension work. The Autobahn isn't exactly one solid, straight line and your driving skills can be tested when you least expect it. When I had insurance there, I carried about 10 Million Euro for each part. Reason? Because when you get in a wreck on the Autobahn, someone usually dies.

Get summer tires that are excellent in the rain (think speed + heavy storms with some frequency...) and a set of speed-rated winter tires.

Good point on the car washing - I'd not own a dark car there. I'm sure you can find access to an indoor wash bay somewhere, that's what I did. Just make sure you use bio-friendly car wash.

Pock

It’s an addiction
Established Member
Wow.. Thanks for all the great info. I had no idea about washing your car there... I spent four years in the UK so I'm looking forward to getting back to Europe!

Users who are viewing this thread