Well, recommendations for longblock builders?

einehund

Established Member
So, this happened this morning on the way to cars and coffee:
20230211_080956.jpg
20230211_081023.jpg
20230211_083447.jpg

I know the rods really wanted to see the outside world and so they made themselves some windows. I guess free inspection ports for the shortblock?

I do not know the state of the heads, but I'm just going to assume the worst.

Time for forged shortblock, cnc heads and some cams with longtubes. Recommendations?

kazman

King of Kazmania
Established Member
Premium Member
Whoopseedasie, don't mind the senile old fart from Fl.

I'd say VMP or PBD. But those are quite aways from you.

Last edited:

Vinnie_B

"LIVE LIFE AT FULL THROTTLE"
Established Member
Premium Member

And if your good with spending some big cash......

We don’t just build it, we race it.
Over 20 years of race proven Ford Mod Motor development.
Our 4.6L and 5.4L Ford mod motors are the fastest mod motors in the world.

What we do:

Build serious 4.6L and 5.4L Ford Mod Motor engines.
Strip or Street.
Specialize in Turbo and Supercharged applications.
Motec Engine Tuning.
Turn Key Cars.
We don’t make excuses or false promises!

Please contact John Mihovetz directly by calling 909-930-1751.

Last edited:

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
If it were me, JDM, start to finish, including the tune.

And if it were me, I would call them immediately and get lead times for components especially with the long wait times on key components.

And if it were me, I would order those parts prior to hanging up the phone and thanking them for the help

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
That's terrible. How many miles? Your Autobahn videos are my most favorite GT500 videos to watch! Legendary!

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Damn, sorry to see this, maybe I missed it, but what year is your GT500? I had JDM ENGINEERING build my 5.8, they're great to work with. But not very fast for turn around time, mostly due to do parts manufacturers. I think I waited 5 months for my cams to show up. If you want you can look through my thread. Built engine time.

einehund

Established Member
It is a 2010 with almost 100k miles. I already called JDM as they seem to be widely respected. I am okay with a lengthy rebuild as aside from mocking me, the car is just up on jack stands in the garage.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
It is a 2010 with almost 100k miles. I already called JDM as they seem to be widely respected. I am okay with a lengthy rebuild as aside from mocking me, the car is just up on jack stands in the garage.
Did you talk to Jim Jr? I imagine they have iron 5.4s in stock. Are you going to do the super stock cams as well?

Cobra Therapy

Established Member
So, this happened this morning on the way to cars and coffee:
View attachment 1780541View attachment 1780542View attachment 1780543

I know the rods really wanted to see the outside world and so they made themselves some windows. I guess free inspection ports for the shortblock?

I do not know the state of the heads, but I'm just going to assume the worst.

Time for forged shortblock, cnc heads and some cams with longtubes. Recommendations?
JDM ENGINEERING for the motor.

claybeatz

Established Member
Sorry to hear op, dealing with the same exact thing with my 5.8.
2023 is not a good year for me and my Shelby friends for whatever reason.

einehund

Established Member
Slowly working tear down. Couple of questions: the scratch in the rotor pack is just in the coating, i can't even get my fingernail to catch on it; good to go or should I order a new rotor pack from VMP (is that even possible?).

As the rear tires are on the ground and the front is up on stands, is it possible to pull the engine and transmission out of the top? I know dropping the K-member and out the bottom is easier/preferred, but is out of the top doable?

20230306_172143.jpg
20230306_172218.jpg

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Slowly working tear down. Couple of questions: the scratch in the rotor pack is just in the coating, i can't even get my fingernail to catch on it; good to go or should I order a new rotor pack from VMP (is that even possible?).

As the rear tires are on the ground and the front is up on stands, is it possible to pull the engine and transmission out of the top? I know dropping the K-member and out the bottom is easier/preferred, but is out of the top doable?

View attachment 1783719View attachment 1783720
It looks like the teflon coating is scratched on the surface of the rotor pack, I don't know if VMP sells replacement rotor packs. But it's worth asking, or I'd just clean everything up and reinstall it.

I've pulled engines out of cars by hooking a cherry picker to the top cross member or radiator core support and picking the front of the car up off the engine. It's a good amount of work, but doable without a lift.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member

That's how I pulled mine. I didn't even need to remove the hood, but the crane can't be that far from the short block.

Users who are viewing this thread