Well, that was humbling. BMW M4 competition.

MustangSteve1965

Established Member
Was just driving home down a pretty open two lane road and a BMW comes up to me with the usual loud BMW exhaust sound.

I typically stay away from street racing but it was later, the road was ride open, the temps were cool, so I figured what the heck.

I've raced a few BMW M classes before and walked them pretty easily, and since I have my new Nittos on I figured even with the cooler temps I don't have to worry about traction.

We were doing about 50 and I let him get the jump. Just a BMW, right? Well he jumped, I jumped, and he walked away from me like I was driving my wife's Equinox and yes, the Nittos held.

I thought to myself, "No farking way that thing walked me like that!" so we lined up again and both basically hit it at the same time and same result, he just pulled away with ease.

We pulled over and he was a nice guy, and claimed all he's had done is an E85 tune, and a downpipe exhaust.

I'm not that familiar with those cars, but is that possible?

I drove home with my tail between my legs and of course now I'm thinking I need MORE POWER!

Relaxed Chaos

Just another Gen X Hero
Established Member
Premium Member
There will always be someone faster. A few years ago I ran an old clapped S10 that ran 8.5 quarters. In highschool there was a dude who wouldn't lift his hood and obviously ran nitrous, that took everyone's money for a couple weekends, until no one would race his cheatin' ass.

No need to feel bad Just smile and enjoy the race, knowing car culture still exists.

Last edited:

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
The G80 platforms are nothing to take lightly. Downpipes, tune and corn will put them lows 10's replace Turbos and it goes 9's easily.

Plus he has a super quick shifting trans vs. ur slower shifting stick shift. Thats probably a car length and a half itself.

The newer G80 gets the ZF trans which can be built to withstand 2000 hp just like a Trackhawk. I have a Pure stage 3 for my ZF trans. A built ZF trans is the very best auto trans u can get these days period!

The ZF only needs 3 multidisk clutches and 2 brakes. Its more efficient than other transmissions.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Amazing amount of support for the BMW's. My M4 Competitions ability to hook and go is crazy. I never worry about road temps anymore.

MustangSteve1965

Established Member
Was just driving home down a pretty open two lane road and a BMW comes up to me with the usual loud BMW exhaust sound.

I typically stay away from street racing but it was later, the road was ride open, the temps were cool, so I figured what the heck.

I've raced a few BMW M classes before and walked them pretty easily, and since I have my new Nittos on I figured even with the cooler temps I don't have to worry about traction.

We were doing about 50 and I let him get the jump. Just a BMW, right? Well he jumped, I jumped, and he walked away from me like I was driving my wife's Equinox and yes, the Nittos held.

I thought to myself, "No farking way that thing walked me like that!" so we lined up again and both basically hit it at the same time and same result, he just pulled away with ease.

We pulled over and he was a nice guy, and claimed all he's had done is an E85 tune, and a downpipe exhaust.

I drove home with my tail between my legs and of course now I'm thinking I need MORE POWER!
Thanks for all the info everyone.

Learned something new about those cars.

IA Shelby

Established Member
Where they really compete is from a dig due to AWD. They are strong performers combined with good handling and luxury interiors.

The front end grill is polarizing to say the least. The rest of the car is nice. I bought a darker color which helps minimize some of the obnoxious look of the carbon fiber grill.

850SNCobra

Established Member
That's funny. Just this past weekend I had a M340i do the same to me LOL.

I accelerated a good bit to get going on the interstate. Was doing 85-90 or so. Next thing I know this bmw flies by out of nowhere making snap crackle pop sounds :LOL: When we went to do a pull, I surprisingly stayed on him until I got locked out of 5th gear.

I went home and starting looking for 2.3 TVS takeoffs and a MGW Shifter :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
There will always be someone faster. A few years ago I ran an old clapped S10 that ran 8.5 quarters. In highschool there was a dude who wouldn't lift his hood and obviously ran nitrous, that took everyone's money for a couple weekends, until no one would race his cheatin' ass.

No need to feel bad Just smile and enjoy the race, knowing car culture still exists.
Yep, for sure. Just look at the long Terminator history and you'll see how true that is. The thirst for power since 2003 has resulted in a slew of aftermarket mods that has progressively enhanced power, along with suspension mods to put that power down to the pavement. But no matter how much power you're making, there's always somebody else making more. And that hunger for more power comes with a high price tag, for sure. Most folks consider it the high cost of having serious fun on the street.

MustangSteve1965

Established Member
Yep, for sure. Just look at the long Terminator history and you'll see how true that is. The thirst for power since 2003 has resulted in a slew of aftermarket mods that has progressively enhanced power, along with suspension mods to put that power down to the pavement. But no matter how much power you're making, there's always somebody else making more. And that hunger for more power comes with a high price tag, for sure. Most folks consider it the high cost of having serious fun on the street.
Yea, that's the truth and partly what's fueling the HP wars which benefits us all.

Only a few years ago it seems, 662HP was an insane number. Now the Shelby's approach 800, the Mopars have some 800HP cars and GM is loading up a new ZR1 supercar that's rumored to be in the 800HP range.

How soon do we get to a point where the cars are at or approaching 1,000HP?

I remember when the Viper was introduced with what was then a mind boggling 400HP!

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
What's with the BMW guys?? I had a single turbo swapped prior gen F80 M3 pop and crackle next to me on my way home from work last week on Friday. Guy was in his 30's with is lady friend begging me to give it a go.

Said WTH and counted it off... bus lengths ensued almost immediately and he was shocked. He pulled back up with thumbs up asking me if "Im blown" lmao. "I said nope, not yet, hopefully in a few hours....." "I am turbo'd though".

His girlfriend blushed and they drove away waiving and giving thumbs up lolol

MustangSteve1965

Established Member

So, the car is almost done at Lidio's with the rear end.

Turns out I had 3.31s and will have 3.73s.

How much if any does that help me in that race against the BMW?

Last edited:

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Nasty machines, the M4 cars. Love the M3 cars as well. Very responsive with just a tune too. Not too mention pretty hot looking.

If I had to buy a new car and since no more Camaro or Hellcat, it would prolly be the M4 Competition for sure. Not too crazy about the C8, unless it's the Z06 or ZR1, (when it comes out), but way out of my range. I like the '24 DarkHorse Premium Mustang, but for close to 90k,...........I'm taking the M4 all day long.

68gtscode

Established Member
So, the car is almost done at Lidio's with the rear end.

Turns out I had 3.31s and will have 3.73s.

How much if any does that help me in that race against the BMW?
I’m not positive how much the gears will help with a roll… it probably depends on mph you start and finish vs when you have a shift. The 3.73s will be noticeable though and easier on your clutch. I’m not familiar with your car, but have you pulley’d and tuned it yet? Since it’s with Lidio already, I would talk to him about options and have him knock it out when it’s already there. I know Lidio gets very busy in the summer so this may be your only chance this year. I recommend injectors, BAP, long tubes, non-catted x, cat back, pulley and tune. Perhaps another tune for “race gas” or 93 + additive. That would really wake up your car IMO. You may have to to also upgrade rear tires :)

Users who are viewing this thread