Well…. I blew it up…..

Ghoust

Will Over Skill
Established Member
similar story happened to me a long time ago in my supercharged GT. I limped my way back 300 miles home on a blown motor. 1 gas stop and 1 quart of oil added.

tjs98gt

Established Member
yeah octane booster when the advertise it to be 1 or 2 points, it isnt actually 1 or 2 octane, its actually .1 or .2 octane, so you would need a serious amount of it to make a difference. your best bet is to keep some other type of fuel additive with you for long drive like that

MekkadonZ28

What sort of octane booster were you running? If it was "octane booster" that you buy at the parts store, and not Torco, then there was your problem. The off the shelf stuff would have still left you short of 92 octane, and nowhere close to 93 octane.
-Jeff

Wouldn't the car reduce timing if it sensed that it was detonating? Well, I guess if it was tuned, the knock sensors could have been desensitized/turned off.

I think that this was his main problem

[*]I had been having an issue with the fuel system that several guys in the area had been having. After WOT the fuel pressure would drop to about 10psi for a couple of seconds.

If I saw that on my fuel pressure gauge I would cease and desist any WOT runs until that was fixed.....

Last edited by a moderator:

04CobraMatt

Established Member
huh, dont like these threads...

how many miles when she blew?

Wouldn't the car reduce timing if it sensed that it was detonating? Well, I guess if it was tuned, the knock sensors could have been desensitized/turned off.

we dont have knock sensors :(

Stock tune starts to pull timing over 100* downstream temp and/or over 200* ECT. Alot of tuners like to raise those values.

Last edited:

Snakebite2k3

Pray For The Dead To Rise
Established Member
damn, if my cobra blew i would have to sell my GT to fix her because i dont have $8,000 bux. sorry to hear about your car

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator

I think that this was his main problem

If I saw that on my fuel pressure gauge I would cease and desist any WOT runs until that was fixed.....

Nope. These cars don't have knock sensors. That is why it is so imparatve that he get good tunes. The computer has no way of knowing if there is detonation. And Fuel Pressure was most likely not the issue, but detonation due to low Octane for your tune.

MekkadonZ28

Nope. These cars don't have knock sensors. That is why it is so imparatve that he get good tunes. The computer has no way of knowing if there is detonation. And Fuel Pressure was most likely not the issue, but detonation due to low Octane for your tune.

ahh I was just about to ask if they did have knock sensors in my previous post. That's wierd I wonder why they don't (especially on a factory FI car). Some goofball that knows nothing about cars, could put in 89 octane and BOOOOM.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Because the blower makes to much vibration and noise. Therefore it can be done, but Ford did not invest the time and money to come up with a well calibrated KS for these cars.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member

Yellow2003

Genetically lazy
Established Member
Answers to some of the questions:

The fuel pressure problem turned out to be the 'Fuel Pressure Relief Valve’ (or whatever it is called) A device in the fuel line that bleeds pressure of the fuel line by dumping fuel back into the tank. The valve opens at 55pdi give or take… In a high boost setup, the fuel line can hit that pressure on a WOT pull. The valve dumps the gas, and pressure drops.

The Octane Booster was not Torco but was specifically made for performance cars in low octane states. Not the best, but probably not my biggest issue.

The ’48 valves’ were either me doing math while sleepy…. Or I have opted for the super secret 6 valve mod ;-)

And about 98% sure it was the fuel pressure issue above that did the damage….

BlownReptile

Established Member
Really sorry to hear that man, puts a little scare in me each time I read a thread like this. I feel your pain, I have had my fair share of automotive tragedy.

Users who are viewing this thread